The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 182: THE LAST OF THE FAMOUS INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOYS

How do you rate The Last Of The Famous International Playboys?

• Total voters
"And now in my cell
(well, I followed you)"

One of my favourite Moz solo tracks. I gave it an 8, though I should have given it a 9.

Musically, it's a LOT better than a lot of his solo tracks.

it doesn't have much of a tune.

a 9

one of his legendary singles between Viva Hate and Kill Uncle
Great lyrics, and even better produced, I believe Street did it.
[ I vote and comment always before I see others, so I always writing
things already said]

the videoclip is OK too though Bermondsey is well known for his
high rate of BNFérs [or it was], their once was a rally of the BNF which
totally went wrong

last thing about the song, I like that electronic sound which wwas created
via a keyboard

oh yeah, mentioning Reggie and Ronnie Kray wasn't his best PR move.

overall, a single which will stand time

Last edited:
9/10. Great song.​

This song's release was when I first clambered aboard the good ship Moz!
I remember buying the 7 inch single as a (very young, obviously!) teenage boy after cycling to Woolworths in Camberley. I know this song better than any other. When I saw the Smyths play it, I could even tell they hadn't got the drums quite right! (and I don't have a clue about drumming).
It was a splendid time. Moz was still on a post-Smiths high, still looking great (in his 20s), and still mates with Rourke and Joyce Michael (who were in his backing band).
None of the court-case/racism/bad solo review bitterness of the 1990s had set in. He was giving dazzlingly witty interviews to the NME, putting out brilliant Morrissey Street compositions and nothing, it seemed, could go wrong.
Oh, until October of the same year with the release of Ouija Board and suddenly the whole of indie society turned viciously on Moz!

[...] putting out brilliant Morrissey Street compositions and nothing, it seemed, could go wrong.
Oh, until October of the same year with the release of Ouija Board and suddenly the whole of indie society turned viciously on Moz!

i'm sure the n.m.e. said 'interesting drug' was crap.

that single was crap!

i remember staying up to watch "the chart show2 because they were playing the video - loved the fishbowl camera and the collar of the moz cardigan and the grey slacks - i had the same shirt as the bit of rough in the video (who was in eastenders for a while as i recall) it was from ted baker ! A great song !!!

Back
Top Bottom