The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 18: BARBARISM BEGINS AT HOME

How do you rate Barbarism Begins At Home?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: BARBARISM BEGINS AT HOME

(People have asked me to include All You Need Is Me in these polls, which I will do once a good recording becomes available).

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-17 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Asleep, rating so far: 8,93
2) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,83
3) Back To The Old House, rating: 8,49
4) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,46
5) Ask, rating: 8,41
6) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,22
7) Alma Matters, rating: 7,73
8) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,63
9) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,51
10) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,21
11) At Amber, rating: 6,85
12) At Last I Am Born, rating: 6,83
13) Asian Rut, rating: 6,74
14) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,57
15) Ammunition, rating 6,55
16) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,45
17) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,22

Oops, maybe 10 is a bit too much - I gave it 10, but it's wonderful. :)
I love andy's bass and I love Morrissey barking. And the guitar as always.
By the way, there isn't a guitar pro tab or powertab of this song. Someone should make it.

not one of my top 5 favs or anything, but I do really like it. and yes, the bass is kickass. i gave it an 8

What upsets me is that Ammunition only got 6.55. That's the best track from that album!!!!:(

i give Barbarism a 7. Not great, but good. Would have made a better album closer than Meat is Murder.

maybe the worst Smiths-Song ever. The bass-line is okay, but at least after three minutes, it's just annoying - the song is much too long! So my rating is only 3...

little bit too long and andy rourke masturbating over the record via his bass guitar.

mr. marr is far more impressive than mr. rourke, on this song

great song, spent far too many hours trying to pefect the bassline... andy shoulda got a writing credit on this song. (if he wrote the bassline?)

I think we should leave that out def till its either out as a b side or on an album.

You are right, I will def leave it out until we get a better version of it.

As to waiting for it to appeear on a b-side or album, how about Striptease, Born To Hang, Oh Phoney or I'm Playing Easy To Get?

I do think of putting those up as good versions are widely available, although none of them have ever appeared as a b-side or on an album.

You are right, I will def leave it out until we get a better version of it.

As to waiting for it to appeear on a b-side or album, how about Striptease, Born To Hang, Oh Phoney or I'm Playing Easy To Get?

I do think of putting those up as good versions are widely available, although none of them have ever appeared as a b-side or on an album.

ooo difficult, there is of course "honey you know where to find me" as well....

I love that, where do we stop! :p

Err, in error I voted 1 instead of 10.
A highly underrated song. One of my all time favorites, it has to be heard loud, too. My avatar obviously reflects my love for the song!

It took a while for me to like but I really do now. it's not a favourite but it's good if a wee bit long. it is kind of.. meditative. I love the bass line and johnny's playing too. and moz's barking is awesome :)
I can't not dance when I hear it.

Back
Top Bottom