The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 173: THAT JOKE ISN'T FUNNY ANYMORE

How do you rate That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore?

• Total voters
I finally gave a song a ten. One of my favorites. Makes me think of myself (in younger days) wrapped in a huge over coat, with my walkman playing, walking along a street on a chilly day.

I read it the other way. Morrissey (or "the narrator", if you prefer) starts out by chastising his companion for laughing at the lonely, because it hits "too close to home".

But then it changes - Mozzer "drives the point home" on the cold leather seats of the car, and realises that he "just might die with a smile on my face after all". He's finally "getting some" - that's what he's always seen happening in other people's lives, and it's finally happening in his.

I'm not sure why, but the "just might die with a smile on my face after all," line always strikes me hard. I believe the underlying guitar chord and Morrissey's voice, give me this hopeful yet hopeless feeling at the very same time.

The content of the lyrics is certainly sad, but the music and the lyrics are so beautiful that the song becomes uplifting rather than depressing. I think thats what dothatagain? means when he/she says "oddly uplifting". If so, then I agree.

P.S does anyone know if Morrissey has played this live since The Smiths?

He soundchecked it on February 21st, 2000 in Portland, ME.

A definite 10, one of the best Smiths songs (and Morrissey songs period), very epic and mature but it also feels youthful to me. So in a way I'm surprised they produced something so classic early in their career but I couldn't see it emerging much later either. Excellent lyrics that complement the composition perfectly, the music is perfect on its own, particularly the drums (as others have noted), but his voice really completes the song. It is beautiful, sad, epic, and subtle all in the same way really. It's beautiful how sad it is and subtle how epic it is, perhaps. :p

very true. although I was really disappointed to discover that he totally ganked that line "I've seen this happen in other people's lives, and now it's happening in mine." I forget from where, one of those movies...but I read it in "the Songs that Saved your life." I was really upset at first, but I got over it. it fits perfectly with the song.

Yeah, I was upset over the many plagiarisms too... but then I realized that it takes a different type of genius to know which lines to steal and how to use them effectively. No one is better at shoplifting than Moz.

I really want decimals on these options. . .I'd call this an 8.75, so I gave it a 9.

--jeniphir

Another classic example of the perfect union of Morrissey and Marr. Haunting, beautiful and unique. "You should know time's tide will smother you, and I will, too". Even in times of despair, he can still make me smile. 10.

a 10

one of the 3 classics on The Smiths masterpiece album Meat is Murder.
Musicly it's phenomal, johhny's weeping/drama guitarsound acompied by
Joyce/Rourkes exellent playing makes it by musicly standards a classic

the lyrics are absolutely one of the best Morrissey done in the Smiths days
So simple, so easy, so mellow, but also very recognisable at to close to home

wonderfull song, a shame Morrissey never played it live since the Smiths days

finest line
I've seen this happen in other peoples lives
and now it's happening in mine

Would Marr even consider to produce a Morrissey album, asked by the Man?

Would Marr even consider to produce a Morrissey album, asked by the Man?

I don't think Moz would ever ask him. That part of his life is over.

13 songs with The Smiths and 4 solo.

Sorry, forgot one (see edit).
Those are all the songs so far that have average scores of 9.20 or more.
So 13 Smiths-ones and 5 solo.
But there are 3 solo-ones in the current top-5...

Keep voting!

We still haven't heard from the big favourite yet though :)

That Joke...is a perfect 10 from me - though rarely mentioned, this is one of the real Smiths classics.

10/10 all the way.

lyrically and musically. i love it.

10 in my book... here is the vid for those who missed it.

Superb video, one of my favourites. I love how he accidentally lets go of the mic and it swings away from him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom