The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 17: BACK TO THE OLD HOUSE

How do you rate Back To The Old House?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: BACK TO THE OLD HOUSE

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, fucking brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-16 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Asleep, rating so far: 8,97
2) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,87
3) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,45
4) Ask, rating: 8,40
5) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,21
6) Alma Matters, rating: 7,72
7) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,66
8) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,53
9) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,15
10) At Amber, rating: 6,90
11) At Last I Am Born, rating: 6,89
12) Asian Rut, rating: 6,75
13) Ammunition, rating 6,61
14) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,57
15) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,47
16) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,22

Houdini

Which version ?
We don't do different polls for different versions, otherwise we'd still be here in 2012.
For every poll goes: Rate your favourite version of said song, whether it be live, studio or Jensen/Peel/KROQ etc-session.

nugz

SUPAHSTAR!
I gave it a 10, its beautiful. more specifically the acoustic version. relates to me on quite a personal level as well. i have so many bad memories of my old place in philadelphia. part of me would love to go back there, for some kind of closure. but...i never will.

Musley

wild and free
I too gave it 10. A beautiful timeless classic song. Everyone will have somewhere like that in their lives. God knows I've had a few!

Nikita

We don't do different polls for different versions, otherwise we'd still be here in 2012.
For every poll goes: Rate your favourite version of said song, whether it be live, studio or Jensen/Peel/KROQ etc-session.
Without voting for all versions, we could chose between the two available on CDs - on hatful of Hollow and Louder than bombs

Anyhow, I put a 10 fir the HOH version, would have been 7 or 8 for the LTB one

Wild Oscar

Born-again Atheist
It's a 9 - that's not 'down-marking' it in any way, but based on the reasoning that I don't really like awarding maximum marks for anything.

The reason being that, if Moz (or anyone, for that matter) releases a song tomorrow that is better than BTTOH, how do I award it a higher mark? A bit arbitrary reasoning, i s'pose....

Musley

wild and free
It's a 9 - that's not 'down-marking' it in any way, but based on the reasoning that I don't really like awarding maximum marks for anything.

The reason being that, if Moz (or anyone, for that matter) releases a song tomorrow that is better than BTTOH, how do I award it a higher mark? A bit arbitrary reasoning, i s'pose....
I gave it a ten based on the fact that in the categories 10 is for a classic song and I consider it to be that. There are only a handful which for me fall into that category and this was one of them. So for most songs I will be voting 9 or less. But some songs are just perfect, hence the 10.

Wild Oscar

Born-again Atheist
I gave it a ten based on the fact that in the categories 10 is for a classic song and I consider it to be that. There are only a handful which for me fall into that category and this was one of them. So for most songs I will be voting 9 or less. But some songs are just perfect, hence the 10.
Can't fault you for that - a 'perfect'-ly valid answer!

A 10 for the acoustic version, i remember being completley overwhelmed when i heard:

"When you cycled by
Here began all my dreams
The saddest thing I've ever seen
And you never knew
How much I really liked you
Because I never even told you
Oh, and I meant to"

Took me back many years and still does.

robbo12345

Mediocre Member
I gave it a 9. I always struggle to give anything full marks because I feel that implies that it is perfect and I'm not sure I think perfection exists..this is close though :D

Camilla

On many times, i almost cry during this song.
10.:)

MozSmith1

A 10 for the acoustic version, i remember being completley overwhelmed when i heard:

"When you cycled by
Here began all my dreams
The saddest thing I've ever seen
And you never knew
How much I really liked you
Because I never even told you
Oh, and I meant to"

Took me back many years and still does.
that's what makes this song a 10.... lyrics like that. Tell me one fan here to which that lyric has not hit them in someone way and i'll show you a liar.

thewarroom

Scorpion Kicker
It's a classic! 10

Comtesse

Starved Of Mirth
The acoustic version on Hatful Of Hollow is one of the greatest Smiths moments: Morrissey and Marr, both at the very top of their game. How anyone can listen to this song and not get teary-eyed when Morrissey sings the line, "Are you still there... or have you moved away?" is beyond me. A perfect 10.

Well I Wonder

Now, Today, Tomorrow.....
9/10. One of The Smiths greatest moments. That acoustic guitar! Ooooohhh.....​

Top Bottom