The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 161: SPEEDWAY

How do you rate Speedway?

• Total voters
10 of course.

Speedway is an incredible and unique song both lyrically and musically - imho there really isnt much better than this by any artist ever. I agree - strange it wasnt a single.

the top 49 songs (so far) - what a powerful, diverse, interesting, influential and inspiring set list! Can you imagine any other artist with that CV?

Thanks Houdini for doing this - greatly appreciated.

I give this one an 8. Some ephemeral something just isn't there for me, in this song. To me it's yet another of his diatribes against journalists and, lacking humour, far from the best one.

--jeniphir

Houdini, please stop listing the results - or at least put a massive spoiler when you're going to show them. It's MUCH more fun to not know the results until the end.

I update the charts every now and again to give people who came late to this a chance to vote for the top-rated songs.

However, now that we come near the final 50 songs I did think of stopping the updates, so I might as well do that now. We still have many classics to come in the next week or so (Still Ill, Stop Me, Suedehead...), and a little further down the line (This Charming Man, There is A Light, Trouble Loves Me...) to make the outcome highly unpredictable.

And who would have predicted that after 161 songs two songs from Vauxhall and I would lead the pack?

Agreed. Even more poignant when taken in the context that it might have been the end of Morrissey's recording career had these absurd allegations stuck to him. The definitive final track to a Morrissey album, followed by a distant second, "You Know I Couldn't Last."

Even after listening to it thousands of times over the years, this song still gives me chills down my spine. I interpret it as Morrissey's response to the NME and their charges of racism (among other charges) and attempt to smear his career, and also, at the end, a call out to his fans who stood by him through the entire ordeal. I think you really do have to be a fan who weathered those awful times to truly appreciate the sentiment of the song - although it's obviously a genius song that should be loved by everyone (including YOU Uncleskinny :mad:). Easily one of his top 5 solo compositions and the most amazing ending to a Moz or Smiths album ever. A shiver-inducing 10.

This song is absolutely fantastic!

"When you slam down the hammer, can you see it in your heart?
Can you delve so low?"

:D 9

Definitly a shiver-down-spine, kind of song

I've always interpreted it to be about journalists, and critics in general, and his apreciation for his fans, and you can feel the sincerity in the last lines alone

All the negative attitudes I recieve from people for adoring morrissey I shake off with the line 'I'll always stay true to you'

I dont care what anyone says, or thinks, I'll always love moz

Back
Top Bottom