The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 160: SOUTHPAW

How do you rate Southpaw?

• Total voters
I will re-register under another name so I can vote again....

This time, I'll give it a 3 to make things a little fair....:D

"Subpar", you mean? Actually, it's one of the better tracks from the loathsome SG, but you know there's a problem when a Morrissey song is better musically than lyrically. I love the bassline in this song and the gentle mood, but opening a song with a line like, "You were a boy before you became a man" is something I expect of the likes of Bono, not Morrissey. The "girl of your dreams" part is lovely though and the second verse is pretty good. Really, it's a pity he didn't play this one live instead of crap like "Do Your Best and Don't Worry".

Still, it's a song that doesn't really say much of anything, even if it sounds lovely, and it's only an 8 for me. Which, believe me, is a very good score for anything from Subpar Grammar.

It doesn't say much of anything?! How so? :confused:

Absolutely epic. I must have played Southpaw more than any other Moz or Smiths song and it still touches me like no other.

I could listen to this song every day,actually I always do.
the end does it for me,
the "help me" whisper near the end haunts me

It seems populated with missed opportunities and the best track to come from the recording sessions: "Nobody Loves Us" didn't even make the album.

Bzzz! Violation of rule 4

Surprised I'm the first one that's caught that. By the way, "Southpaw" is an 8 for me. But only because "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils" dominates the album for me.

Back
Top Bottom