The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 147: RUBBER RING

How do you rate Rubber Ring?

• Total voters
Yeah, I mentioned the intro - I love it, so funky. :)

Anyhoo, my belief is that 'rubber ring' refers to what I would call a 'floatie' - a flotation device. Used to keep one's head above water...which seems fitting.

:)

Ah! So you did :rolleyes: oops! Apologies! And here you said exactly funky intro. Honestly I didn't see it. That's how funky that intro is!

A floatie. Yes, that was my first thought. thanks!!

I always thought of rubber ring as a cheap novelty ring (ala cracker jacks , etc) that signifies the earnest first but now forgotten love from days past.
Left behind in maturity but never far from the nostalgic heart of he who once held it out to one so fair.

Last edited:
Frenk Rijkaard, famous Dutch soccer player, and now coach of Barcelona
loved The Smiths, and mentioned that Rubber Ring is his favourite.

It was in the 80/90's radio show were the DJ had every week another guest and played his/hers top/favourite songs

The music isn't bad and the arrangement is ... interesting.
But how many times do you (in all honesty) find yourself whistling the melody to this song?
Virtually never. Exactly. And that is why this song deserves no more than 8...

Not everything is whistlable (does this word exist?)
I'd rather play it on guitar.

Rubber Ring is not whistleable, but it's a fabulous song. The way he draws out "Do you love me like you used to" always has a way of stirring me up.

Just a crazy thought, but I do believe that In The Future When All's Well is somewhat of a companion piece to Rubber Ring.
For example:

ITFWAW-Hold me closely if your will allows
RR-Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly
Endings:
ITFWAW-the future is ended by a long long sleep
RR-you do not want to believe you are sleeping

Sorry, maybe I need to get some sleep!

Back
Top Bottom