The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 146: ROY'S KEEN

How do you rate Roy's Keen?

• Total voters
this song is embarrasing - couple of good lines does not a classic make.

musically weak and frankly lazy - i gave it a 5 which on reflection is a bit generous.

It's an odd one, for sure. But as far as hilarity content, on par with Our Frank.

A rousing 7 from me.

7/10. You know this song gets a bad rap but I really think its catchy. If we hadnt heard of a famous footballer called Roy Keane it wouldnt be so cringeworthy. But doesnt Moz like to make us all cringe from time to time. Its the power he has over us I guess............​

I think the melody far outshines the lyrics, but that said, I like it quite a bit. I gave it a 7.

--jeniphir

"Roy’s keen oh Roy’s keen
We’ve never seen a
Keener window-cleaner
Back up the ladder
Into each corner
Dunking the chamois
Just think of the goodwill
The ladders a planet
Roy is a star, and
I am a satellite
(but thats alright)"

Oh fair Morrissey, look how low you fell.

Why are the silly lyrics to "Roy's Keen" any sillier than the silly lyrics to "Bigmouth Strikes Again," "Frankly Mr. Shankly," "Vicar in a Tutu," or "Girlfriend in a Coma?"

I dunno, I don't see downgrading overmuch simply because of silly lyrics. . . Never having heard of the soccer player until just a few minutes ago reading this thread, maybe I'm more forgiving. Like, if he'd done a wordplay on an athlete I've actually heard of, perhaps I would find the song more cringeworthy??? Probably I would, but it's hard to say.

--jeniphir

Why are the silly lyrics to "Roy's Keen" any sillier than the silly lyrics to "Bigmouth Strikes Again," "Frankly Mr. Shankly," "Vicar in a Tutu," or "Girlfriend in a Coma?"

All i have a degree of humour, the lyrics i posted above are devoid of any. Just utter tripe.

All i have a degree of humour, the lyrics i posted above are devoid of any. Just utter tripe.

they're better than "my love life", though.

'even when it's under your nose well you you just can't see it can you?'

I love it.

Back
Top Bottom