The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 13: ASK

How do you rate Ask?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: ASK

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-12 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating so far: 8,83
2) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,61
3) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,32
4) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,85
5) Alma Matters, rating: 7,76
6) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,36
7) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,23
8) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,74
9) Ammunition, rating 6,67
10) Asian Rut, rating: 6,61
11) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,57
12) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,24

Good, lightweight pop with traditional Moz lyrical themes. 9.

This song just makes me happy everytime I hear it. Love it!

I think it's definitive so it's a 10. Bouncy and told us more about Morrissey and his passive ways.

An early favourite of mine this, grown a little tired of it but it's still a quality song.

classic, perfect pop tune.

Probably the best "pure pop" song that The Smiths ever recorded, this one never fails to put a smile on my face. I mean, really, what's not to love? The music is catchy and bouncy, the lyrics are funny, and who wouldn't want to spend a warm summer day indoors writing frightening verse to a bucktoothed girl in Luxembourg? I do wish, though, that I could hear the original Johnny Marr/John Porter mix of the song with the seagull effects more in the forefront, before Morrissey and Stephen Street messed with it.

Oh, it's a 10. Obviously.

In the begininnig I found this song very boring and plain, apart from a little change before "nature is the language". Now I like it, but 8 is too much. I'd give it a 7 today.

Love it - have it programmed as my ringback tone!

I've watched "Dr. Strangelove (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)" last night. Could it be the source of da bomb? When dr. Strangelove tells about the post-apocalyptic bunker life, about polygamy, etc. that should rebuild the population, indeed - "if it's not love, then it's the bomb that will bring us together".
Terrific film, by the way.:D

7/10. A catchy tune!​

Back
Top Bottom