The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 126: NOVEMBER SPAWNED A MONSTER

How do you rate November Spawned A Monster?

• Total voters
I'm a bit sick of this song, which tends to darken my opinion of it... but if I try to remember back to the first few times I listened to it, I remember thinking it was a completely unique piece of art. The melody isn't particularly catchy - there really isn't much of a melody at all, to be honest - but the lyrics are amazing (Morrissey's eclectic subject matter at this time was fascinating), the music is interesting, and that middle bit with Mary Margaret O'Hara is demented genius. Special honors should go to that video - with Morrissey giving a completely bizarre performance that's unlike anything else in his videography - by turns amazing and appalling. This is probably Morrissey's most fascinating single... but not quite a 10 for me. I give it a 9.

Uh... just not one of my favorites. At the time it came out, I smiled wryly because he chose November and that carried some meaning for me... but nah, just not my favorite.

Last edited:
This song along with Playboys turn me into a Mozhead...so yeah a 10 from me.
I love it. I think it's so original and I love the video and when I was watching it, it was actually around November...haha. I'm young and I wasn't embarrased the first time I watch it, I was sort of laughing and was intrigued by it. Now I just think it's plain sexy. It's probably my favorite song by him.

When I read the title of today's song I immediately thought

I used to love it more, when the first times I listened to it. But sometimes I fell in love with a song again.
The Beethoven Was Deaf version is great too, especially the guitars.

even though morrissey is great and this song is fantastic i would not give it a 10. there are songs that is better performed by morrissey.

i dont know; but i guess the rating system, from 1-10, must be based on songs only performed by morrissey, cause if its not i would give all the song his ever made a 10.

that is why i gave this one a 7.

without question the best video Moz has done. I'm a heterosexual male and it even turns me on. :eek:

without question the best video Moz has done. I'm a heterosexual male and it even turns me on. :eek:

haha, that's funny...

one thing that came to my mind was that the artwork for bona drag must have come from the video from november spawned... just take a look at the shirt... it has to be from the that video.

here is a shoot from the video:
drag.jpg

and here is the bona drag cover:
Morrissey_-_Bona_Drag.jpg

take a look.

haha, that's funny...

one thing that came to my mind was that the artwork for bona drag must have come from the video from november spawned... just take a look at the shirt... it has to be from the that video.

here is a shoot from the video:
drag.jpg

and here is the bona drag cover:
Morrissey_-_Bona_Drag.jpg

take a look.

Yes, in Peepholism Jo Slee confirms that they took the still from the video and colorized the shirt.

I picked a fine time to change my avatar last night from: :)
painting002.jpg

Well, it was time for a B&W picie--from (another) favorite vid.

I actually love the cover of Bona Drag, maybe because it was my first Moz CD and probably the first picture of him that I can clearly remember.

I actually love the cover of Bona Drag, maybe because it was my first Moz CD and probably the first picture of him that I can clearly remember.

I thought it was pretty 'brash and bold and different and cool' for his going solo stuff- and that was a good thing. The longest neck in show biz right there... :) This is probably my fave Moz CD. For what it means to me besides being so kick ass.
Nobody/Nothing/No other planet could take a picture and look like this. He is so freakn UNIQUE.
May spawned a genius!

Dang. I feel like I should change back my avatar with all this bona/monster talk today. Hmmm. Just when I think it's time to move on, I have second guesses ~ha!

Last edited:
a 6

yes I know this song is special for Morrissey, but not for me, too long...
The big 30 second ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh part is
destroying the song...the last piece , which begins with
that November is a time which.... is the best part.
He played this song too much live, this song will be nbr 1 in 'what song
played most times live'.
Lyrics are good, thats why i'd given it a 6 instead of 4

Gladly we only talk about the song, the videoclip makes me ashamed

Last edited:
a 6

yes I know this song is special for Morrissey, but not for me, too long...
The big 30 second ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh part is
destroying the song...the last piece , which begins with
that November is a time which.... is the best part.
He played this song too much live, this song will be nbr 1 in 'what song
played most times live'.
Lyrics are good, thats why i'd given it a 6 instead of 4

Gladly we only talk about the song, the videoclip makes me ashamed

hahhaa, i have a hard time watching it too. if that was the first thing i ever saw of Morrissey, i wouldve been like "who IS this guy?" infact, the video kinda ruins the song a bit for me. i liked it better before i saw the video. sorry moz, :o

I don't like the Bona Drag cover. I don't like that picture.

Neither do I. It was the first Moz solo cover that I really hated...

it's a great song (with Morrissey's finest guitar riff!) although I'm not keen on the instrumental bit with the gurgling vocal.
my home edited version stops there and the whole song feels like a vast improvement!
however, I do love the bit before the last chorus where Moz 'mmm's his way through the bridge.

Neither do I. It was the first Moz solo cover that I really hated...
"Hate" is a strong word ;) What was the second cover you 'disliked'?!
Call me a cover lover on Bona..."So good to look at oh you, your lovely face and your lovely hair!"

Oh, wow. I am going to have to pony up and buy Peepholism. As a designer, I need to know all these little stories. Moz is a design freak, I think, and that I do love about him.

That's so cool about recoloring the still photo- and to think they did it without Photoshop. I'm new school, I do everything digitally. I just saw the James Dean angle. I was just looking at that cover the other day.

Back
Top Bottom