The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 105: LIFEGUARD SLEEPING, GIRL DROWNING

How do you rate Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning?

• Total voters
I also like it because, as I interpret it, it's very mean, and I think that, while it takes strength to be gentle and kind, it really takes guts to be that mean to a silly dead girl, when so many of your fans are silly live girls.

I also like it because, as I interpret it, it's very mean, and I think that, while it takes strength to be gentle and kind, it really takes guts to be that mean to a silly dead girl, when so many of your fans are silly live girls.

<------------silly live girl. :D

Love the clarinet.
The music is gorgeous throughout this song.
Strange album for me Vauxhall.......

Absolute first rate efforts like this one, Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, Speedway, Spring Heeled Jim, Now My Heart Is Full etc etc

But some absolute tripe, and I'm looking straight at you two, Billy Budd & The More You Ignore Me........duller than Keane that second song, a single?!?! what were you thinking Moz

Beautiful and haunting. The music, with it's errie sounding clarinet evokes the image of a grim, merry-go-round by the beach for some reason; one of those clapboard seaside town resort circuses. I think that fits the song wonderfully. Morrissey's whispered vocals seem to take on the persona of the sea itself, as it teases and tantilizes the drowning girl with her impending fate. A very metaphorical song, inspired I believe by the Steve Smith poem Not Waving, But Drowning, and as such it's one of the most endearing songs open to interpretation and analysis in his canon.

A fantastic, surreal and woozy centrepeice to Vauxhall, but it's obscurity removes it from being a classic by a hairs breathe. This is a 9 from me.

What a track! From his best album too. 10/10! I love this song.​

Speedway being the song of the day reminded me of this because I can't choose which is my favorite from Vauxhall. But right now I'd pick this one. Maybe his best song ever, it's such a sad story but the music is so beautiful. A woman trying to get attention (either from the lifeguard specifically as in she may have a crush on him perhaps, or just in general from anyone) who pretends to be in danger but ends up really drowning, and no one notices and no one cares to find out what happened to her. It may not sound that unusual for Morrissey lyrics, but there is something different about this, with him speaking in third person and illustrating a rather complete story. I remember Roma de Moz saying how Morrissey's voice seems to be a character within the song itself taking on the nature of the sea (or something similar, he put it more eloquently and accurately). Maybe I'm putting too much into this, but I find the music to portray the mood of the song, so delicate and distant. Well, I can't say it quite right, but if this song was done to the beat of Interesting Drug I don't think anyone would actually feel the apathy of those who know the drowning girl, the doom of the lifeguard being asleep and the tide being too strong, the sorrow of her death (though no one within the song has the heart to care about her), and the eerie calm when the lifeguard awakes and the somberness that something very tragic has just happened but it doesn't quite seem real since no one bothered to notice.

Hmm, that's mostly incoherent because the song says it all, and you can't explain what the song means unless you just play it and listen to all of it.

Back
Top Bottom