The Moz/Smiths Top 100, APPENDIX: CHILDREN IN PIECES

How do you rate Children In Pieces?

• Total voters
I gave it a 7. It chugs along nicely, if a bit blandly, but then really picks up with "my sentimental heart hardens".

And I just want to say - how brilliant to have these polls back!

Last edited:
I haven't heard this song yet...Still waiting to receive my copy of SWORDS bought on Amazon.UK. So I will cast my vote in a couple of weeks or so.

I hope that the polls will still be votable for the next few weeks when all those new ( to me at least ) songs on SWORDS would have settled in nicely into my system.

I would like to remind newcomers to Morrissey-Solo that they can still vote for all the older 234 songs by Smiths/Moz.Correct me if I'm wrong Houdini.

Oh, and by the way , thank you so much Houdini for your herculean effort in preparing those polls :thumb:

dreadful .. i hate this song. the lyrics just do not fit the tune at all. It's like he would rather be writing it as a rant article or something but somehow got convinced it should go to music. Voted 1 .. and there are very, very few Moz songs I'd even vote less than a 5.

Bump

I'm afraid I can't rate songs, decline to vote.

Houdini is unable to post next poll until the total vote exceeds 80.

Bump

I'm afraid I can't rate songs, decline to vote.

Houdini is unable to post next poll until the total vote exceeds 80.

Thanks, Kewpie.

Well, as it's a new beginning after a long absence I think 73 votes is a good start, and as 'zulu sierra' pointed out, it's never too late to vote, the polls will remain open, so we will surely reach 80.

I will post the next one up later today. We'll probably do two a week this time, so we will have a new top 100 (if any of the new songs are going to make it, that is...) by the end of the year.

I will post the next one up later today. We'll probably do two a week this time, so we will have a new top 100 (if any of the new songs are going to make it, that is...) by the end of the year.

Well, after a quick calculation, this one certainly isn't going to be a threat to the top 100 ... :eek:

Thanks so much for doing this again, Houdini! Looking forward to updating the "Top 100" playlist on my iPod. :D

Thanks, Kewpie.

Well, as it's a new beginning after a long absence I think 73 votes is a good start, and as 'zulu sierra' pointed out, it's never too late to vote, the polls will remain open, so we will surely reach 80.

hi, what's the thing about 80 votes?
some of the songs we did before never received that many.
yes, there will be defo be new top 100 songs, and more than the solitary one we got from the dreary 2006 material - mark my words!

yes, there will be defo be new top 100 songs, and more than the solitary one we got from the dreary 2006 material - mark my words!

I'll be disappointed if My Dearest Love doesn't make it.

yep, it'll probably make it and it won't be the only one.
I confidently predict at least three of four top 100 songs and maybe a couple of top 50s.

I think you might be right. I can think of a few YoR songs which could be contenders.

One thing these threads are missing so far - where's Comtesse? Always enjoyed her comments on the songs.

True, and 80 is just a figure I mentioned somewhere, by no means a rule.
90 % of all the polls we did reached 100 votes at least, only b-sides and cover-versions traditionally fail to make 100 votes, so Í think this poll is actually doing really well.

Time will tell. Only 8 post-2000 songs have made the Top 100 so far, so it's not going to be easy. Remember that there are 55 Smiths-songs in the top 100, so it will have to be in the top-45 (out of 180) Morrissey-songs to make the Top 100 overall.

i agree that it ends better than it starts and it sags a bit in the middle between the second verse and "you say you wanna go home" , but i liked it from the start and "my sentimental heart hardens" and "get your hands off me.. kid , you must be bad luck" lines are vicious but true !

Agreed. :) I gave it a 7. The melody is great, and the weird, sinister backwards bit at the end is a really nice touch. Musically, there's something about this song that reminds me of 'We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful', but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Last edited:
I like it and give it a 7

Back
Top Bottom