The Metro: Morrissey’s pro Black Lives Matter tweet dragged on social media (June 3, 2020)

Jews are not a religion. Have you ever heard someone describe themselves as an atheist Catholic or an atheist Muslim? Have you ever heard someone say "I'm half Protestant on my mother's side"?

Yes - I have heard people say those things (or lapsed Catholic or cultural Christian).

People are always trying to understand & describe their roots.

Judaism has been treated as an ethnicity under anti-Jewish laws in the past, so is often described as an ethnicity.

They recognise there essence is genetic—a bloodline going back to Abraham which distinguishes them from all the other people on earth.

No, they recorded their family histories - like the Scottish clans or the aristocracy or ancestor worship.

Yes - I have heard people say those things (or lapsed Catholic or cultural Christian).

People are always trying to understand & describe their roots.

Judaism has been treated as an ethnicity under anti-Jewish laws in the past, so is often described as an ethnicity.

The blue pills are strong in this one.

They recognise there essence is genetic—a bloodline going back to Abraham which distinguishes them from all the other people on earth.

if that is their belief.

ok.

Yes. And it stretches back to Abraham.

It might do. Modern notions of scientific accuracy didn't bother people before the Enlightenment (& doesn't stop people making things up after it). The bible mixes history, mythology, poetry, prayers, record keeping & wishful thinking.

So, a belief.
I guess the point I’m moving towards is that it is a belief, but it’s one that has real world outcomes. It can’t be dismissed as lesser simply because we perceive it as an idea.

The Jewish nation operates with a perspective of itself that (through a disposal to deconstruction) many people in England are being denied. British myths are being trashed, and people are expected to believe it’s of no consequence.

Multiculturalism supposes it can transcend ‘mere’ belief. But the belief is powerful. And for some, it is literally a power in the blood.

I’m speaking as someone who studied Hebrew with a Rabbi. As someone who came to recognise the power of belief, of difference, of mythos and TRADITION!

It might do. Modern notions of scientific accuracy didn't bother people before the Enlightenment (& doesn't stop people making things up after it). The bible mixes history, mythology, poetry, prayers, record keeping & wishful thinking.
And the Enlightenment contains all of those things too. As does Marxist theory.

I guess the point I’m moving towards is that it is a belief, but it’s one that has real world outcomes. It can’t be dismissed as lesser simply because we perceive it as an idea.

The Jewish nation operates with a perspective of itself that (through a disposal to deconstruction) many people in England are being denied. British myths are being trashed, and people are expected to believe it’s of no consequence.

Multiculturalism supposes it can transcend ‘mere’ belief. But the belief is powerful. And for some, it is literally a power in the blood.

I’m speaking as someone who studied Hebrew with a Rabbi. As someone who came to recognise the power of belief, of difference, of mythos and TRADITION!

England hasn't lost its traditions, but there has been a loss of community because of lifestyle changes & competition with entertainment.

The Left mardy carping wouldn't stop anything that people valued. We're always mardy. We started as a nonconformist protest movement.

Yes. But it thought it was proving things & being rational.
That assumes it’s a transcendent logic that escapes context. And I disagree with that.

Like science, Marx promised to lead people out of ‘the camera obscura of ideology’. I would argue that he led people into a new one. And like religion before it, it denied this was happening. And this corruption haunts the modern left.

So what can you do?

‘For though they may be parted
there is Still a chance
that they will see
There will be an answer
Let it be’

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom