The media's reaction to Morrissey's sudden illness

...And we all know Moz loves a bit of drama. I'm not saying he deliberately let himself admitted to hospital, but it sure comes in handy at a time he needs to promote an album and tour.

Bollocks!

You're also probably convinced Jacko is alive and well...

It was on CNN last night in Amerikay. Scared the bejesus out of me. The "crawl" of news headlines that runs across the bottom of the screen said "Singer Morrissey in hospital after stage collapse." I was really worried. Hopefully he's doing better now and he has someone caring looking after him.*

*If not, I'm available... ;)

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...apses-onstage-later-discharged-from-hospital/

The initial reaction at the Swindon concert after Morrissey was carried off the stage was a chorus of boos, as Morrissey has “a bit of a poor track record for canceling his concerts,” one concertgoer told the Telegraph. “Everybody started booing, thinking ‘here we go again.’ ” Morrissey is currently scheduled to tour Europe through late November before returning to the States for a tour of the West Coast that runs until a December 11th in Ventura, California.

2nvff4w.jpg

Should we be excited he’s gotten some press - we can assume people know who he is? Oh Mozzer, please don’t become too popular. ;)

In today’s RedEye paper (edition of the Tribune)

No need to panic, Smiths fans. Your beloved Morrissey is OK. Morrissey, the former frontman for the Smiths, was released Sunday from a hospital after collapsing on stage during a concert the night before in Swindon, England. The 50 year old singer was performing when he was stricken and had to be helped offstage by two band members.

There was a blip in today’s online Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-tc-ft-morrissey-1025-1026oct26,0,6190351.story
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-viral-morissey-collapse-story,0,974482.htmlstory

And then a sponsored link…that took me by surprise…
…and onto another ex-Smith: http://www.tincan.tv/features/music/335/morrissey-collapse-update/
“Our very own”? wtf is Tin Can & Mike Joyce’s “Alternative Therapy”?

Today at about 10:30 radio station WXRT in Chicago played "How Soon Is Now" and followed it up with a recap of the story and a reassurance that he's now reported to be OK.

As soon as I'd heard I contacted a guy who runs a major US celebrity-gossip site (NOT Perez Hilton) via Twitter hoping he could track down more information. At first he didn't believe me ("where did u hear this?") since he hadn't heard it from any of his regular sources yet. I sent him the link to the Swindon paper's 'breaking news' link that a member here had just IM'd me and a note saying solo peeps were getting tweets from the show and a minute later he tweets back 'whaddya know, he did collapse onstage...' DUH.

So I thought 'Oh good, now he's in panic mode like the rest of us and will use his awesome contacts to get us some good information,' and his very next tweet was...about last week's episode of Dollhouse. *sigh*

He ended up doing a significant section on it with the pics (same ones we've all seen) and it was nothing new, but a nice summary of official statements and reports and he gave me credit for being first to get to him with the news (quoting my rather panicked first tweet :o). But I learned he definitely isn't an investigative reporter - he just repeats whatever he hears. And I mean, "Dollhouse?" Really.

Nonsense gossip = good medicine

Great news Morrissey is feeling better now, and being looked after by his girlfriend/pa - yeah, crew helping back stage at Swindon were told that Ms Yeoman was Morrissey's other half, don't know if its true but she was overheard saying something about beinhg careful to one of her colleagues. Not careful enough it seems, anyway - i'm not much bothered, the p/a/girlfriend was also gossipinbg about a 'fan' who she said was a bit odd or crazy or something as Morrissey was supposed to have thought. I din't think Moz thought like that, she said this whilst moz on his way out of oasis apparently .
Anyway, get well soon babes.

I read that, but didn't understand a word of it.

Hah hah, I'm lying in bed feeling crappy cos of the flu or somesuch illness (my tiny netbook is handy for surfing while reclining). But I feel better cos of the belly laughs I got from Septimus's post above. Reminds me of that thread on a never posted photo of roadies in Bournemouth for a concert that never happened.

Anyroad, the best laff from Septimus's post came from the 3rd+ hand/made-up gossip bit about "the 'fan' who [...] was a bit odd or crazy". Odd or crazy, you say? Well, that narrows it down! :lbf:

I'm also laughing about myself. While I may be crazy or odd, I don't think I merit Sarah's special notice. :lbf:

I learned about it from a Facebook friend who knows of my obsession. We had a huge party at our house Saturday night and I didn't get to bed until after 4 a.m., and I was busy cleaning up on Sunday and didn't have a chance to watch any news or be on the computer. Naturally after my friend alerted me I sought out news about Morrissey's collapse. It was the top entertainment story on Huffington Post, and CNN.com covered it, too. Don't know about MSNBC.

I hope our love feels better soon.

I was surprised it ended up on the front page of Huffpost.

Don't really agree. The reaction was very measured. Not a particularly big news day either. I think any lyricist of note would have garnered the same attention.

Leonard Cohen got the precise same coverage a while back when he collapsed.

I was very surprised when I saw news about it even in some newspapers here in Finland. Ok, he have many fans here, but earlier I thought that it should be Madonna or Britney Spears or some other discusting popstar, that finnish media would react incidents like this.

(And I'm sorry for my grammatical mistakes. They disturbing me so much, but english isn't my first language, so it's hard do realize and correct every single mistake I do.)

I found out on Twitter, of all places.

If it was a publicity stunt he and his PR people are a bit crap at them really. The least they could have done was give the press a photo op of him leaving hospital to ensure a bigger splash in the Monday papers, that's what Lily Allen would have done. What an amateur. :D

F**k Perez Hilton..piece of sh*t

http://perezhilton.com/2009-10-26-morrissey-collapsed-in-concert

"This isn't the first time he's had to reschedule a show due to illness!!!
Although most Morrissey fans may find this blasphemous, but is the 50-year old, former Smiths frontman too far past his prime?!"

Well thanks for the input Perez. First of all your days late with your story and second of all..you the hell are you?...There are 70 year olds on stage still rockin' their asses off..Continue to draw jizz out of Edward Cullins mouth and don't comment on sh*t you know nothing about.

pfffff..got it all out..now I feel better!! :lbf:

I watched to see if the Thirty Mile Zone extended to Swindon and sadly or wonderfully, it does not.

If it was a publicity stunt....

Is that a theory floating around? Interesting. I have stated before on these boards that each and every time Morrissey has had new product hitting the stores, he says or does something outlandish and controversial to get himself into the papers. You can go back and check and you will find something that Morrissey says or does on the eve of every release that gets him into the papers!

But I don't think that is the case this time. Why would he go to this extent when he knows he just has to say something controversial?

Over here in Italy , it was a 5am news on the main state television teletext ( like the BBC) , it was also on the online version of the biggest daily paper.
Funny, some people will have to feel unwell these days to get some coverage otherewise no news at all.
Cheers Moz

just on the news segment of BBC 7, basically saying he appeared at RA hall and is better, showed "You have Killed me" video

Back
Top Bottom