The media's reaction to Morrissey's sudden illness

Maurice E

Anyone else a bit surprised at the extent to which the media covered the event (e.g. front page of the BBC website)?
Imagine if Robert Smith of the Cure had collapsed - would it have been covered to the same extent?
Morrissey's always had a high profile in the music media; much greater than you would expect from his record sales. But most members of the public would struggle to name any of his songs.
Just shows what a huge cultural phenomenon he's become in recent years.
Anyway, am obviously v relieved to hear he's been discharged and may even be doing the Albert Hall concert.
Don't get well soon; get well now!

I have been thinking the same as you, all day. We live in a 24 hour rolling news - Internet era, so this has been reported as it evolves. When Morrissey collapsed on stage with The Smiths, it made the next edition of the NME. I think it speaks more about the modern news feeds than Morrisseys current stock?

the media feeds from the publics demands sometimes. they must have know the internet was getting alot of hits last night and collapsing during the concert is very shocking.

All the media used the same statement. The bbc news had no mention and when you consider he was recently voted 2nd British icon on the bbc, thats surprising.

I think he is much more of a household name than Robert Smith is.

I've been quite surprised by the round the clock coverage on Sky News, but then I thought they've had quite a lot of celebrity deaths lately so maybe they were hoping for another one. After all, a celebrity is a celebrity to them and if they can devote a whole day to showing Stephen Gately's funeral, who never had a hit on his own, then they can spare some time for Moz. I doubt Morrissey's family would be so accomodating about access if the worst ever happened though. :D

10 years ago it would have been lucky to make a few lines in the weekly news -morrissey who?

I got a text message from Scarlet_Ibis that said, roughly "He's going to be okay. Yay!" And I scratched my head as to what it meant, and just assumed she meant to text someone else..... I had NO IDEA what she was on about.

Then I got home, and my computer SCREAMED that he had passed out on me. I got notifications via Fbook, Email, Myspace, Lj, and then once i was home I got three text messages from people telling me he'd collapsed. I didn't get word via conventional news medias.

So thanks to Scarlet_Ibis' on the spot reporting, I got the good news before the bad. :D Thanks, Doll!

Oh, and Moz, darling.....

get_well_soon_graphics_15.gif

Anyone else a bit surprised at the extent to which the media covered the event (e.g. front page of the BBC website)?
Imagine if Robert Smith of the Cure had collapsed - would it have been covered to the same extent?
Morrissey's always had a high profile in the music media; much greater than you would expect from his record sales. But most members of the public would struggle to name any of his songs.
Just shows what a huge cultural phenomenon he's become in recent years.
Anyway, am obviously v relieved to hear he's been discharged and may even be doing the Albert Hall concert.
Don't get well soon; get well now!

Morrissey is a treasure, a hidden gem, that for the most part people keep to themselves. I am not surprised that people in the newsroom would find it important.

Many people were surprised when Jerry Garcia died and Wall Street executives stopped and cried on street corners. Who knew?

damn...it's now on the front page of cnn.com.

the actual collapsing on stage has a lot to do with the attention. people in america for the most part do not care about morrissey, but they like drama and action. collapsing on stage achieves that.

I've seen all over the world many new about Morrissey's illness.
In Brazil, the words are almost the same that you have found on BBC's site.

I dunno, DavidMich, I think a lot of people care about Morrissey. I've met so many people in real life who have surprised me by admitting their secret Moz life. A former boss, a former co-worker, my husband's friend who stood up at our wedding 8 years ago - in the last year I've been shocked to hear their stories about how much they've always loved Moz. I wish I had known earlier because I would have had someone to go to concerts with. But then again, I never went around shouting my devotion beyond my two close high school friends, until I came here. And now you can't shut me up (unfortunately) .

I agree that the public has a stupid desire for sensationalism, (oh, he collapsed!) but - I think he has touched more lives than even we know about.

Last edited:
The worrying thing about the bbc coverage was they showed the video of Morrissey performing you have killed me during the piece. Maybe I was the only one who saw the irony?

damn...it's now on the front page of cnn.com.

the actual collapsing on stage has a lot to do with the attention. people in america for the most part do not care about morrissey, but they like drama and action. collapsing on stage achieves that.

that's strange, just an hour or so ago I had to really search for it to find it even under entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom