the main page

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
MorrisseySoloEveryDayKeybiscayneII.jpg

do you post on the main page and if so, as who?
my username for the main page is se repenti fort*
i use it mainly for my journal there:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/~se repenti fort/journal/
what about you
06.gif

*=the phrase se repenti fort roughly translates to 'to feel very sorry'

I started my Moz Solo activity there, then I discovered the forums. The last time I posted was in January, after the Strasbourg gig. Since then, nothing. I check the news every now and then but I refuse to read the comments.:rolleyes:

I am mouthful of pie. I don't read the front page much but when I did just now there were some gems from Irene. :p I really don't care what political opinions she has that are different than mine, but I get along with her and she makes me laugh.

I've never posted anything there and haven't been there for ages. :)
Most of the news there is also mentioned here on the general board so no need for me to go to the main page, really.

The issue of why davidt allows trolls and anonymous posters on the main page has come up several times here in the forums. He routinely points to an old article (by Jon Katz, IIRC) from Slashdot, the techie site whose forum software (Slash) is what drives the SoLow main page. In that article, it's argued that trolls and anonymity serve a very important function in keeping the conversation alive, even though some of those posts may be offensive, which is why we have moderators. What davidt has never really understood, though, is that that model may work for a very well-trafficked site like Slashdot, it doesn't work for SoLow. The Slash software grants temporary moderator access to users in kind of a weighted round-robin fashion--logged-in users who post more frequently and have good karma are given the mod privileges more often, while infrequent posters almost never get it. Unfortunately, I'd say that more than half of the main page posters are either anonymous or relatively infrequent posters, which means that the mod stick doesn't get handed out terribly quickly or often. This allows the troll posts to stick around for far longer than they would on a more highly-trafficked site. It's a shame that the main page can't be switched to something that doesn't rely on a high number of frequent posters. As such, the comments are fairly useless, and it gives new users a very bad impression of SoLow. It certainly put me off from joining in here for several months.

Then again, maybe that's a good thing.

I used to post on the Main page, but the trolls made it boring. Not much of interest in discussion there nowadays. It does give a bad impression, and I have also recommended for people to try the Forums instead, Robby.

It's not as simple as it sounds. Who's going to Moderate the Main page? If it's moderated could it be assumed that Davidt agrees with what remains and is therefore liable? What are the laws on this?
And is free speech more important than restricting content?
Could the main page be news only, without comment? While maintaining the Forums as they are.
Truth is, we are the lucky ones able to use the facilities here, even if the pipes are a bit leaky sometimes..;)

I used to post on the Main page, but the trolls made it boring. Not much of interest in discussion there nowadays. It does give a bad impression, and I have also recommended for people to try the Forums instead, Robby.
I did and do think the abusive comments are the reason morrissey names the site so-low..He probably have read all the abusive,anonymous posts once and didnt bother to go further into the forums
therefore I dont think he ever made into the forums. where of course not all is well but where not every post is full of hate...
and of course while why chloe sevigny thinks we all hate her guts :p

the abusive comments would be much lesser if nobody can post under anonymous anymore

I think I'm Ten Forum, I forget. It's been a while, I stopped commenting when I realized how many people go there just to be dickheads. Toxic environment.

I did and do think the abusive comments are the reason morrissey names the site so-low..He probably have read all the abusive,anonymous posts once and didnt bother to go further into the forums
therefore I dont think he ever made into the forums. where of course not all is well but where not every post is full of hate...
and of course while why chloe sevigny thinks we all hate her guts :p

the abusive comments would be much lesser if nobody can post under anonymous anymore

According to long time users there used to be someone who regularly read the mainpage and the forums and reporting stuff to Morrissey.

The actual reason Morrissey called the site So-Low is that Morrissey was upset to know that some people defended Mike Joyce, criticised him and Johnny Marr because they unfairly treated Joyce and Rouke.

David gives a place to all the people to express their opinions regarding Morrissey and Smiths related issues which is the secret of the success.

Anonymous posting encourages people to post insider info without a husstle.
In last two years we had several scoops which is rewarding.

Last edited:

But how many of those scoops have been via anonymous posts, not anonymous article submissions? Probably zero. It doesn't change the fact that the moderators pander to the insiders something awful around here.

I like scoops too. Notice they are BAKED.

3025939032_67150a235a.jpg

But how many of those scoops have been via anonymous posts, not anonymous article submissions? Probably zero. It doesn't change the fact that the moderators pander to the insiders something awful around here.
dude, i know you want to be on the inside real bad, but let it go man :p
&
just be happy with your
Weightlifter16inches.jpg
18k+ award

*=this trophy has been recycled and now reused...

The actual reason Morrissey called the site So-Low is that Morrissey was upset to know that some people defended Mike Joyce, criticised him and Johnny Marr because they unfairly treated Joyce and Rouke.

I thought it was because of the anonymous reports that supposedly came from members of the road crew saying that they had not been paid. Didn't that actually bring a threat of legal action from Morrissey?

I am sure I will be looked at as a bad guy for bringing that up, but my advice would be not to even mention these things as anything less than a complete explanation that satisfies everyone will lead to a focus on the negative. On the plus side it is really the best active site where you can go talk to other Morrissey fans (despite its many, many flaws ;) :D ).

I thought it was because of the anonymous reports that supposedly came from members of the road crew saying that they had not been paid. Didn't that actually bring a threat of legal action from Morrissey?

I am sure I will be looked at as a bad guy for bringing that up, but my advice would be not to even mention these things as anything less than a complete explanation that satisfies everyone will lead to a focus on the negative. On the plus side it is really the best active site where you can go talk to other Morrissey fans (despite its many, many flaws ;) :D ).
dude, you aint no bad guy, id say a neutral to indifferent guy at best these days
kind of like me or
Sn22.jpg

icon_lol.gif

Tags
piss and moan
Back
Top Bottom