The longest stretch of touring in his solo career

Talk of a Smiths reunion is idiotic. Marr and Steve loathe Joyce almost equally.
But Marr and Steve getting back together isn't so far fetched. They've both wanted it at different times post-Smiths, but just not at the same time.
And it would make them both a heck of a lot lot wealthier than sticking with their solo careers.
The current Morrissey album is unlikely to sell more than 150,000 worldwide. They would have record companies pleading with them to sign.
A Morrissey and Marr album would probably sell 2 million on the curiosity factor alone. And they would sell many, many more concert tickets (proper sold out arena tours), and also get paid a fortune by festival promoters.
So if it was purely about the money, Morrissey would have signed up to it when Marr offered back in 2009. It obviously isn't, and you'd have to be a truly embittered, timewasting troll to think otherwise.

I agree with you mostly but when has morrissey really wanted a smiths reunion. Aside from the time right after split I can’t think of any mentions. I also wonder if they would work well together now

they would have different tastes now and j marr wouldn't want the political stuff either.on the subject of money when you are a very famous singer you have to live like a very famous singer and that wouldn't be cheap,mozz in a bed and breakfast I don't think so.

Talk of a Smiths reunion is idiotic. Marr and Steve loathe Joyce almost equally.
But Marr and Steve getting back together isn't so far fetched. They've both wanted it at different times post-Smiths, but just not at the same time.
And it would make them both a heck of a lot lot wealthier than sticking with their solo careers.
The current Morrissey album is unlikely to sell more than 150,000 worldwide. They would have record companies pleading with them to sign.
A Morrissey and Marr album would probably sell 2 million on the curiosity factor alone. And they would sell many, many more concert tickets (proper sold out arena tours), and also get paid a fortune by festival promoters.
So if it was purely about the money, Morrissey would have signed up to it when Marr offered back in 2009. It obviously isn't, and you'd have to be a truly embittered, timewasting troll to think otherwise.

They wouldn't sell two million records. I don't think any record they've ever done has sold that much and records don't sell as much as they used to. They might get two million youtube views.
They could call it The Smiths without Mike Joyce though. I think that most people are not really aware of the whole lawsuit drama. Morrissey really screwed up by not paying him a long time ago. He should have made a deal to purchase all rights to anything Smiths-related for one lump sum. That would have made paying him a lot easier I think. Then if they wanted to tour as The Smiths they could either offer Joyce a salary or get someone else. On Black Sabbath's last tour their drummer Bill Ward wouldn't take their offer so they just got someone else. Some fans didn't like that but they still had a successful record and world tour.
The way it is I think that Mike Joyce owns some share of The Smiths name and while he wouldn't make as much as if he toured with them, they would still have to pay him. Calling it Morrissey Marr wouldn't really work. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant toured together and played Led Zeppelin songs. It was successful but if they had called it Led Zeppelin it would have outsold U2, the Rolling Stones and all the other huge tours. It would be Not The Smiths But Close while the same group of people could call themselves The Smiths and it wouldn't even need Rourke to get away with it, though it would be better if he was there.
As someone else said Morrissey is very spiteful and he would probably rather go hungry than share with Mike Joyce. And really, it's probably better to forget it. Morrissey sings better than ever and Marr plays those songs better than Morrissey's band does but it wouldn't be the same.

And at the risk of repeating myself, he's not going to share a stage with anyone. It's not just about the money, it's the whole ego/adulation thing. He's had 30 years of it being all about him, that's not about to change.

This. Morrissey has been pushing the narrative (to himself, as much as the audience) that he is the important one, the one true genius, and that he doesn't need anyone else, for the past 30 years. I suspect that he's worried that going back to the Smiths/Marr - even temporarily - will be admitting some kind of weakness, that the rest of the band actually did have some value that he couldn't replace with a revolving cast of faceless session musicians.

To do so would mean swallowing a lot of pride - and as long as he can sell out the London Palladium under his own name, I'm not sure there is enough money in the world to make Morrissey do that.

... and you obviously know that because you ARE a famous singer :rolleyes:
of course i am, thought you knew that,in fact I thought everybody knew that.

This. Morrissey has been pushing the narrative (to himself, as much as the audience) that he is the important one, the one true genius, and that he doesn't need anyone else, for the past 30 years. I suspect that he's worried that going back to the Smiths/Marr - even temporarily - will be admitting some kind of weakness, that the rest of the band actually did have some value that he couldn't replace with a revolving cast of faceless session musicians.

To do so would mean swallowing a lot of pride - and as long as he can sell out the London Palladium under his own name, I'm not sure there is enough money in the world to make Morrissey do that.

Sell out the London Palladium? That's hardly an achievement, even for Steve. It only holds 2000 people.
He has always been very generous with his praise for Marr - he'd never claim to be the one genius in the Smiths. The rhythm section though is a different matter completely. Hardly anyone would notice any difference at all if two others stepped in.

List of top touring artists: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/266415/top-touring-artists-of-the-decade

Another list: 1990 to 2014

Bruce Springsteen 727
Elton John, 956
Dave Matthew, 992
Celine Dion 1,143
Kenny Chesney 755

And Springsteen, and EJ were touring for decades before 1990!

In the 1970s, bands used to tour ALL the time. Common to see the list in Melody Maker.

Grateful Dead toured constantly from the winter of 1965 until summer 1995,

Dylan, I am led to believe, does 100 dates per year.

Back
Top Bottom