The longest stretch of touring in his solo career

evennow

Writers on the storm
I was checking out the tour link and saw that he has toured now for 7 straight years. The longest string by far. Will this continue? Do you think he will ever take another year off before retiring from touring?

i think he likes the buzz of visiting places,i say it will continue for a few years yet.voice is the best its been so that isn't a problem.

i think he likes the buzz of visiting places,i say it will continue for a few years yet.voice is the best its been so that isn't a problem.

I agree that his voice sounds fantastic in concert! I think he will play shows as long as this voice serves him. In the days of the Smiths, he wasn't known as being a "good" singer. In fact I remember a blurb about an upcoming Smiths show in a newspaper that described Morrissey's voice as being "flat as the top of Herman Munster's head"! :p:lbf:

Some excellent analysis of his cancellation rates (needs updating though) which eats in to the longest stretch idea a bit - eg only playing 16 out of 73 gigs in 2013, but I happily take the general point.
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-cancellations-by-the-numbers.133763/
No Debbie Downer intended - I hope it continues for as long as possible. I do, however, feel bad for the people left holding tickets, buying flights / hotels for him to not appear. I'm grateful the UK leg went so well though.
Regards,
FWD.

would be interesting to see which country suffers the most cancellations,iv seen him 12 times in Scotland and don't think hes cancelled any shows up here,could be wrong though.

would be interesting to see which country suffers the most cancellations,iv seen him 12 times in Scotland and don't think hes cancelled any shows up here,could be wrong though.

Isn't it always the American tour that he has trouble finishing?

I kinda miss the cancellations. It doesn't seem right to follow a Morrissey tour and not have at least a few dates blown off. It was part of the charm.

I kinda miss the cancellations. It doesn't seem right to follow a Morrissey tour and not have at least a few dates blown off. It was part of the charm.

When you dont sell records in the numbers you used to, just like everyone else, only a fool would risk gig paychecks. It is, and always has been, all about the money.

When you dont sell records in the numbers you used to, just like everyone else, only a fool would risk gig paychecks. It is, and always has been, all about the money.

What nonsense from the site's resident troll. It may be just about the money for some, but Morrissey is doing better than most and has proven himself to be an artist in it for the long haul. I wonder why you think Johnny Marr did that toe-curling Microsoft advert? His love of Microsoft software? Presumably you think it must have been all about the easy money.

If it were, and always were, about The Money, surely he would be faxing Johnny as we speak about The Smiths resumption.

That thing that some around here have been dribbling & dreaming of for decades.

And if it is now the position that it 'always has been' all about cash, then that must make some people feel somewhat bitter as all hell. A whole youth wasted? Etc.

More like he'd have answered johnnys fax as he already tried to put together that reunion and morrissey didn't bite. Another example of johnny kit being about the money

If it were, and always were, about The Money, surely he would be faxing Johnny as we speak about The Smiths resumption.

And if it is now the position that it 'always has been' all about cash, then that must make some people feel somewhat bitter as all hell. A whole youth wasted? Etc.

It's about the money, but it's not about benefitting any of his former bandmates. Honestly, his touring is similar to other artists of his age. The Psychedelic Furs seem to have been touring nonstop since the early 2000s. At least Morrissey has written some new songs to play. That's the one thing keeping him from sliding off into legacy act greatest hits territory.

The trouble with a Smiths reunion, is that - whilst there would be a bigger pot - Morrissey would no longer get everything (minus whatever few crumbs he currently throws his session musicians). At best, he'd get 50% in a split with Johnny, and depending on whatever the legal state of the band is, it might be as little as 25%.

I think that - unless he's super desperate - he's happier touring as a solo artist and pocketing 100% of the profit himself. He may even get some additional vindictive pleasure in knowing that he is denying a big payday to the other three guys. He can be pretty spiteful.

I think the claim that it's "all about the money", which is constantly thrown at famous people, is quite rich coming from people who never stood on a stage and don't know what it's like.

He may even get some additional vindictive pleasure in knowing that he is denying a big payday to the other three guys. He can be pretty spiteful.
Nail on head. And at the risk of repeating myself, he's not going to share a stage with anyone. It's not just about the money, it's the whole ego/adulation thing. He's had 30 years of it being all about him, that's not about to change.

The trouble with a Smiths reunion, is that - whilst there would be a bigger pot - Morrissey would no longer get everything (minus whatever few crumbs he currently throws his session musicians). At best, he'd get 50% in a split with Johnny, and depending on whatever the legal state of the band is, it might be as little as 25%.

I think that - unless he's super desperate - he's happier touring as a solo artist and pocketing 100% of the profit himself. He may even get some additional vindictive pleasure in knowing that he is denying a big payday to the other three guys. He can be pretty spiteful.

But a fifty percent split of a much larger pot the smiths reunion would bring in would still be more than one earned from a single solo tour making it the better financial option that he hasn’t taken despite pressure to. If he wanted to get around the split thing they could just tour as morrissey and marr play the smiths. Honestly court case aside I don’t know that he thinks about the other members very much. At least not as much as they think and talk about him

But a fifty percent split of a much larger pot the smiths reunion would bring in would still be more than one earned from a single solo tour making it the better financial option that he hasn’t taken despite pressure to. If he wanted to get around the split thing they could just tour as morrissey and marr play the smiths. Honestly court case aside I don’t know that he thinks about the other members very much. At least not as much as they think and talk about him

Talk of a Smiths reunion is idiotic. Marr and Steve loathe Joyce almost equally.
But Marr and Steve getting back together isn't so far fetched. They've both wanted it at different times post-Smiths, but just not at the same time.
And it would make them both a heck of a lot lot wealthier than sticking with their solo careers.
The current Morrissey album is unlikely to sell more than 150,000 worldwide. They would have record companies pleading with them to sign.
A Morrissey and Marr album would probably sell 2 million on the curiosity factor alone. And they would sell many, many more concert tickets (proper sold out arena tours), and also get paid a fortune by festival promoters.
So if it was purely about the money, Morrissey would have signed up to it when Marr offered back in 2009. It obviously isn't, and you'd have to be a truly embittered, timewasting troll to think otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom