The liquidation continues: Official BPI/RIAA Gold and Platinum record awards

grlmopz

Hi all,

I've been holding onto some incredible rarities for a long while and I'm starting to wonder whether they'd be better appreciated in the hands of someone else.
As a result, I'm considering (but not totally committed to) selling the following items for the right price.

If you're interested in more information about these -- to whom they're dedicated, for instance -- drop me a line.
I believe that this is a complete collection of all of the BPI/RIAA gold and platinum awards that were presented to the Smiths, and the majority of those presented to Morrissey.

A photo of these record awards in my hallway once adorned the back page of the NME.

BPI Awards

Smiths (Gold)
Hatful of Hollow (Platinum)
Meat Is Murder (Gold)
The Queen Is Dead (Gold)
The World Won't Listen (Gold)
Strangeways, Here We Come (Gold)
Rank (Gold) -- autographed by all four members of The Smiths
Viva Hate (Gold)
You Are The Quarry (Platinum)
Ringleader of the Tormentors (Gold)

RIAA Awards

The Queen Is Dead (Gold)
Louder Than Bombs (Gold)
Viva Hate (Gold)
Hulmerist (Gold)
Bona Drag (Gold)

Last edited:
How on earth do you value these? Some pictures posted on here would be a nice bonus, and maybe drum up trade for you too. The only thing that puts me off with these award discs is the potential for copies to exist. How many discs were given? One to each band member I'm guessing, but would label staff get one too? Eil.com have had a LOUDER THAN BOMBS disc on offer for £495 for ages with no takers. Are there any experts on these willing to share their knowledge?

Would love to see pics of "Rank (Gold) -- autographed by all four members of The Smiths"

Agreed that valuation is difficult, due to their rarity. These items are worth whatever someone will pay for them (which I realize isn't too helpful a thing to say!)

The RIAA discs are much more common than the BPI discs, judging by their occasional appearance on sites like Esprit.
I haven't seen a BPI disc available for several years (although, admittedly, I stopped looking as carefully after I had all of them.)

I'm not 100% committed to selling these, but thought I'd make this post in case a serious collector wanted to take several of them off of my hands. If not, I'm happy to keep them on my wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that I think about it, the Rank disc and the Hatful disc have personal dedications, so they're likely not so desirable (unless we share a first name!)

Agreed that valuation is difficult, due to their rarity. These items are worth whatever someone will pay for them (which I realize isn't too helpful a thing to say!)

The RIAA discs are much more common than the BPI discs, judging by their occasional appearance on sites like Esprit.
I haven't seen a BPI disc available for several years (although, admittedly, I stopped looking as carefully after I had all of them.)

I'm not 100% committed to selling these, but thought I'd make this post in case a serious collector wanted to take several of them off of my hands. If not, I'm happy to keep them on my wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that I think about it, the Rank disc and the Hatful disc have personal dedications, so they're likely not so desirable (unless we share a first name!)
I would still love to see pictures of the Hateful and Rank if you can share please... I have never seen a Rank BPI (Gold)..

I would still love to see pictures of the Hateful and Rank if you can share please... I have never seen a Rank BPI (Gold)..

Why anybody refers to a Smiths item as Hateful really is beyond me...

Hi all,

I've been holding onto some incredible rarities for a long while and I'm starting to wonder whether they'd be better appreciated in the hands of someone else.
As a result, I'm considering (but not totally committed to) selling the following items for the right price.

If you're interested in more information about these -- to whom they're dedicated, for instance -- drop me a line.
I believe that this is a complete collection of all of the BPI/RIAA gold and platinum awards that were presented to the Smiths, and the majority of those presented to Morrissey.

A photo of these record awards in my hallway once adorned the back page of the NME.

BPI Awards

Smiths (Gold)
Hatful of Hollow (Platinum)
Meat Is Murder (Gold)
The Queen Is Dead (Gold)
The World Won't Listen (Gold)
Rank (Gold) -- autographed by all four members of The Smiths
Viva Hate (Gold)
You Are The Quarry (Platinum)
Ringleader of the Tormentors (Gold)

RIAA Awards

The Queen Is Dead (Gold)
Louder Than Bombs (Gold)
Viva Hate (Gold)
Hulmerist (Gold)
Bona Drag (Gold)

Has anyone had any joy with the "liquidation" event by grimopz? Prior to last weekend I was ahead on most of the items I went for but there has been no word since. I'm not bothered if I won any or none but I still have a CD to pay for on Discogs too from same seller. No contact for days via any link.

No sales have been completed yet, as I'm mired in the awful process of packing up my house and moving.
(The move was actually the event that precipitated the sale -- I found myself willing to let go of things as I was packing up.)

Rest assured that sales will be finalized sometime this week once I have a few moments of free time.

Cheers,
Scott

I'm back, everyone, and will be attending to your individual private messages within the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience.

Back
Top Bottom