The LGBT Thread

I'm straight and prefer young fey moz. I like guys that our skinny and pale. Plus I loved his lisp and everything.

The lisp was really cute. Really, REALLY cute. R.I.P. lisp. R.I.P. wee lil 80's Moz.

I heart fey Moz *joins you two in the lost lisp love*

I don't find him attractive at all, and am totally mystified by everyone who does, straight or gay. Srsly.

RLY?! I find that hard to believe. You can honestly say that you don't find him attractive? You can't appreciate a good looking man?

And "mystified" -- really? *sigh* I thought I knew you. :( :p

The Ditty Bops are pretty awesome as well.

I LOVE them! I saw them at a very small venue a few years ago-one of the best shows I've seen. Could they be any cuter?!

I LOVE them! I saw them at a very small venue a few years ago-one of the best shows I've seen. Could they be any cuter?!

They are pretty adorable.

Speaking of cute and adorable, how have you been? :D

"Better living through pharmaceuticals" ;) and I still don't have a kitchen :(
PM you soon :)

Pharmaceuticals rock. :p

Still no kitchen?!? :eek:

*shares pharmaceuticals with Corrissey*

does it count if it's fake?

Last edited by a moderator:
I must confess to being puzzled at my attraction for Mr. Morrissey. I loved
him when he was young and fey and thought he was extraordinarily sexy,
probably the added bonus of being celibacy (which I actually believe our clever
Mr. M understands the psychology of the mystique he created by saying that)
was a genuine ember for the fires of fantasy that continue to cause me
some internal turmoil. Because even now that he has matured into a very
masculine solid man (with body hair even :eek:) I still think he is hot.....
I was always interested in softly spoken introspective men and recently (about a month ago)
I was with a pale, sexy young man who kept me up all night, but too young really and now I do realise I want someone closer to my age.
As for homosexuality, it was bisexuality for me going quite far back into my past thirteen years ago) I have had experiences with a woman and have considered
doing it again but haven't met anyone appropriate and am not sure if I want to
or not..... the thing that intrigues me is that if you are a woman who has been
with a woman well you know what you want even more so than a straight
woman (when it comes to sex) and I feel men who are not willing
to be very giving are just not worth it. It's exactly like that song:- "All the Lazy Dykes...... "pity how you live. You give and you give....." etc.
Sums up when I was married to a t! And things got complicated about our Mr. Morrissey because as I found my ex to be a lazy dope smoker, who was
very boring, my adoration for Steven became more profound and once Your Arsenal came out and I bought The Art of Peepholism book for my birthday that year, my ex sat there and said something along the lines of "Well, you obviously want to do this guy, don't you? Right up your alley, etc, etc...."Anyway, whatever I guess in the seventies, which is when I was a teenager, it was cool to be androgynous ( I was a very big Bowie fan) and my first real boyfriend was as well. Anyway, well I'm not a lesbian but I am a bit of a tomboy I guess and always will be. I've never really fitted in to this suburban scene but I am a mother and that's the most important role in my life at least until my son is a bit older. I do hope for exquisite expression of ardent heat with the "right one" eventually whether it be a he or a she.....
I don't really think it matters. Because between you and me solo-ers I don't think I would ever marry again. I don't find that old stuff at all good and I cannot stand patriarchal oppression of women.

^^^mauve21: That was a very interesting read.

On the Kinsey scale, I'd rate myself a 1 out of 6. It is hard to describe myself as bisexual, because I much prefer women. Still, on rare occasion, I find myself feeling attracted to men. If my feelings were played out in statistics I would be 95% for women, 5% for men. Still I keep that 5% a secret from a lot of people, mostly because I've seen how male bisexuality is such a joke to so many, even homosexuals. And it is very hard for me to explain my orientation to women I want to be with. It's a huge shit sandwich. On top comes their own personal insecurities. In the middle are the stereotypes of bisexuality: irresponsibility, fence-sitting, promiscuity, inability to be monogamous, etc. On the bottom: The fact that I have the libido of ten people combined. And there you have it! I feel that we live in a society that sees female bisexuality as a phase, and male bisexuality as non-existent ("you're either one or the other"). Honestly, I can't understand why people care so much about that little 5% of me that likes the same sex?!?!?!

JUST one short step back to morrissey a certain member of this forum;) has created a nice site on morrissey and thre tradition of camp,,,the skinhead topic etc...
http://www2.gol.com/users/melemail/mozskin/ms01.htm
Introduction
Media Image
The Threat of Unknowable Sexuality
Camp Tradition
Camp Provocateur
What Is Camp?
Perverse Rebellion
Irony
Aestheticism
Theatricality
A Queer Voice
Campy Visual Performances
Masculine Drag
(In)Authentic Lad
Skinhead Drag
Our Frank
Skinhead Controversy I
Skinhead Controversy II
Mistaken Identity
Controversy: Prior Record
Stoney Hando in Glove
Queering the Skinhead
Simulacra and Authenticity I
Simulacra and Authenticity II
Simulacra and Authenticity III
Queer Means Never Having to Say Sorry
Conclusion

^^^mauve21: That was a very interesting read.

On the Kinsey scale, I'd rate myself a 1 out of 6. It is hard to describe myself as bisexual, because I much prefer women. Still, on rare occasion, I find myself feeling attracted to men. If my feelings were played out in statistics I would be 95% for women, 5% for men. Still I keep that 5% a secret from a lot of people, mostly because I've seen how male bisexuality is such a joke to so many, even homosexuals. And it is very hard for me to explain my orientation to women I want to be with. It's a huge shit sandwich. On top comes their own personal insecurities. In the middle are the stereotypes of bisexuality: irresponsibility, fence-sitting, promiscuity, inability to be monogamous, etc. On the bottom: The fact that I have the libido of ten people combined. And there you have it! I feel that we live in a society that sees female bisexuality as a phase, and male bisexuality as non-existent ("you're either one or the other"). Honestly, I can't understand why people care so much about that little 5% of me that likes the same sex?!?!?!

Thanks very much for posting this Alec. I appriciate your honesty and I think a lof of the points you make are correct. ie: "I feel that we live in a society that sees female bisexuality as a phase, and male bisexuality as non-existent ("you're either one or the other"). " Trying to expalin such feelings to others is difficult, I understand. Also yes there are a lot of preconceived notions about those who are bisexual. And I don't think that's very fair. If you are attracted to someone, you just are. You can't help it. And if you try to supress it, that's just a shame. Over the past couple of years I have finally come to terms with a number of things about sexuality in general and mine personally as well. And trying to explain it to people who don't get it, is difficult and in my case ended in laughter and friends thinking I was crazy. So what, I like chicks too. Deal with it. :angry:

Thanks very much for posting this Alec. I appriciate your honesty and I think a lof of the points you make are correct. ie: "I feel that we live in a society that sees female bisexuality as a phase, and male bisexuality as non-existent ("you're either one or the other"). " Trying to expalin such feelings to others is difficult, I understand. Also yes there are a lot of preconceived notions about those who are bisexual. And I don't think that's very fair. If you are attracted to someone, you just are. You can't help it. And if you try to supress it, that's just a shame. Over the past couple of years I have finally come to terms with a number of things about sexuality in general and mine personally as well. And trying to explain it to people who don't get it, is difficult and in my case ended in laughter and friends thinking I was crazy. So what, I like chicks too. Deal with it. :angry:

If only people could understand what it is like to be in another person's shoes. We have all heard it a million times before, but if people really understood what the "other" person goes through in life, this would not be an issue.

Here's one they made up earlierSpeculation about her sexual orientation has endured for 30 years. But now, at 71, the former Blue Peter presenter Valerie Singleton has spoken candidly about the men in her life - and finally scotched the 'ludicrous' rumour that she is gay. Julie Bindel bids farewell to a well-loved lesbian icon
Julie Bindel The Guardian, Tuesday June 24, 2008

With Valerie Singleton's revelation this weekend that she is the "opposite of gay", another lesbian icon bites the dust. I will no longer sigh with longing when seeking out the sticky-back plastic, or throwing an empty washing-up bottle away. Singleton has disappeared as an icon as swiftly as she arrived.

How did the rumours begin about Singleton being one of us? There was a time when you only had to be seen with a suspected lesbian to be thought of as one yourself. In 1978, Singleton interviewed Joan Armatrading in Manchester for BBC1's current affairs programme Tonight In Town. Word was put around that after the interview, the two ended up in bed together, and swiftly embarked on a three-year love affair. Both have always denied it. In 1993 Singleton told a national newspaper that, "If you accuse me of something that I'm not, I get terribly upset - and I get terribly upset with this stupid, daft rumour."

In the same year, when describing the sort of man she finds attractive, Singleton told a journalist: "I tend to go for the pirate type." I suppose she meant swarthy and masculine. Many of us took such comments by Singleton made over the years with a pinch of salt. I assumed that once a public figure has denied being gay, it is too humiliating to admit to having lied. It now seems it was wishful thinking on my part.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, Singleton rubbished the "ludicrous" rumour, which has lingered for three decades, and revealed a list of men she has had affairs with - although she said her "big personal regret is not having sustained a deep relationship". "I seem to have crammed most of my men into the early part of my life, and then there were great deserts of nobody at all except flings." On her last day at Rada, she enjoyed a "wonderfully smoochy night" with fellow student Albert Finney. They did not have sex but "thrashed about on a bed for several hours". She had a brief fling with Peter Purves while they were both presenting Blue Peter and he was "between marriages". "We were on an assignment out of London ... and after a day's filming we had a few glasses of wine at our hotel, and one thing led to another. It was one of those impulsive enjoyable experiences but more a friendship thing than anything else."

Her last boyfriend was a builder 24 years her junior. The relationship lasted four years. "I'm not sure I've ever allowed myself to fall properly in love," she concluded. "I tended to avoid guys who made my heart flutter, although a couple gave me what I call a BSE - Big Sexual Experience."

She didn't do quite the same for me, but I did grow up with Singleton. She joined Blue Peter in 1962, the year I was born, and I was a massive fan of both the programme and Singleton throughout my formative years. When I was already a seasoned lesbian, in my late teens, the rumours began circulating that Singleton was also one, and, to add icing on the cake, had slept with Armatrading. We all thought Joan was a lezzer. The lesbian world is a small one, and whether it was true or not, everyone knew someone who had a cousin somewhere like Manchester whose current girlfriend had snogged Armatrading in a gay club.

In my view, Singleton was a convincing lesbian while the story lasted. In the 1970s and 1980s, the height of Singleton's popularity, there were barely any out gay men and women. It was always that bit easier for male TV stars and celebrities, as they could play the camp role and become objects of affection. But if women came out, it would mean instant death in terms of their careers. But there were signs, to many of us, that Singleton was "in our club". In those days we would make a game out of who we believed might "shop around the corner", and relied on the most cryptic, and often unreliable, of clues.

One, Singleton did not do that heterosexual thing with her hair. Her gorgeous, dark, luscious mane just sat there, being natural. If she wore makeup, it was not obvious. In the 1970s, female TV presenters usually dressed in flowers and frills, with swirly skirts and lace cuffs, but not Singleton. Although not exactly appearing on air in dungarees and bovver boots, she was, well, almost androgynous.

Two, she appeared to have no boyfriend. While that does not make one a lesbian, glam women off the telly always had a man sniffing around and, in those days, more often than not married them and had kids pretty sharpish. Singleton had cats not kids, another massive indicator as far as we were concerned. And, as we all know, she did her own DIY, if you count making things out of toilet rolls. As a youngster who regularly developed crushes on my friends' mums, Singleton's "aunty" status, coupled with her sexy, cheeky pout, was too lovely to resist.

Much of what we thought we "knew" about Singleton was guess work, but in the 70s and 80s we could not do as we do today, and rely on magazines such as Heat and OK to confirm or deny our suspicions. Then, we relied on rumours from "the community". It was also before lesbianism became fashionable, or the likes of "bi-try" women such as Madonna and Britney Spears dipped their toes into the shady and mysterious world of lezzerism. But even in the world of limited media snooping, Singleton was an enigma. We knew very little about her, which, to me, was further evidence that she batted for the other side.

Singleton was loved by some lezzers, but resented by others. Those of us who were out paid the price, so resented those protected by their privileged lifestyle who chose to stay in the closet. Had Singleton announced that she was a lesbian, she would never have had to do it again. Those not in the public eye have to do so every time they meet someone new.

Why, though, did it matter to have a lesbian in the media to look up to? For me it was not so much that they could offer me a blueprint of how one should look and behave, otherwise I would have been walking around looking and acting like Beryl Reid's character in The Killing of Sister George, the first lesbian I ever saw on telly. It was more knowing that some other women thought it was actually cool to be a lesbian, and enjoyed being it. I wanted to be able to say to my mother: "Look mum, Valerie Singleton is the same as me, and look how well she has done." A lesbian friend of my generation tells me that as a teenager she used to decide who was a lesbian, based on the qualities she admired, and also on any evidence that these women were a bit different from the norm. She mentions the irrefutably heterosexual Joanna Lumley as one "lesbian icon", based on the fact that a) Lumley had a Purdey haircut, which broke the orthodoxy of the awful curling-tonged style so popular among young women at the time and b) used to kickbox men on the telly.

I understand her rationale. As a 15-year-old, desperate for a sign that I was not the only gay in the village, I claimed Julie Covington, one of the actors in the 1970s series Rock Follies about a female rock group, as a lesbian, because she had short hair, wore one earring, and drank like a man.

Having said this, I have never really understood why so many lesbians and gay men appear desperate to claim certain celebs as "our own". When droves of lesbians began, in sheep fashion, to fancy Sigourney Weaver after the release of Alien, I was confused. Wearing a vest that looked like it had once been white but had got caught up in the wash with a pair of workman's overalls, and not bothering to have a regular shampoo and set in between trying to save humanity, seemed to be the only lezzer indicators. Yet still the rumours - which remain totally unsubstanttied - started around lesbian dinner parties.

I have never understood why Armatrading is, to many, a lesbian icon. She doesn't sing about being in love with women, she sings about not having a boyfriend, or having her heart broken by one. I prefer the butch Geordie character Norma in the TV drama series Shameless, who ran off with Frank's wife.

Many people confuse the notion of a lesbian icon with a women in the public eye who some women fancy. For me, the only lesbian icon worth mentioning is Martina Navratilova. Why? Because she is secure in her appearance, does not dress for men, or seek to become acceptable to heterosexuals. She is also well out of the closet and has had fairly public, passionate relationships with other lesbian icons, such as the writer Rita Mae Brown.

So who should we want in our club? How about some real lesbians? If they don't want to be one of us, or would rather keep it a secret, I don't want them in my gang. I can't be bothered with the likes of Anna Friel's character Beth in 1980s Brookside. She was playing a lesbian, then running home to normality. I want to be in a club with those who neither deny their sexuality, nor try to dress it up as something sexually stimulating for the boys. Think the ultra-professional sports presenter, Clare Balding, or other women proud to be a lesbian, such as crime writer Val McDermid, performer Amy Lame, EastEnders veteran Pam St Clement, comedian Sue Perkins, and politician Angela Eagle. As for Singleton, I wish her well, but if she does not want to be a part of this glorious sisterhood of lezzerism, we will begrudgingly let her go.

also female homosexuality...is often not be taken seriously...when a man pairs up with another man nobody would say things like" he just needs a good humping to get back to women"as in women...
aslo the acceptance of lipstick lesbians seems to be much higher while being a butch seems to a threat ...of course through the fantasies the men imply when seeing two very feminine women together...but on the other hand not be taken seriously and having to make a point that were not only good friends holding hands...is another site of this

If only people could understand what it is like to be in another person's shoes. We have all heard it a million times before, but if people really understood what the "other" person goes through in life, this would not be an issue.

They might even understand but not accept it, because, for instance, they're catholic...
I'm happily bisexual as well. I used to think I was a lesbian, and felt like shit because of religion and society. Having solved those those two problems, ie not caring anymore, I feel good.

I see. Is it cos it leans towards transexuality in a way?
I myself prefer lipstick lesbians. It's probably cos I've got issue with transexuality :o

yes in a way...hmm this definitive im not there for you...damm
i wish i can explain it better but im a blockhead at themoment so i couldn excactly explain my point in english
you ve got issues? aboutransexuality?really why?
liebe when you got back from the conference you spoke of in the pm i would love to know about it
would love to go but im not sure how close it is - i stay at a hostel near victotria station and have to pick up my tixs around midday from the boy office so how far is it away.really ?the pride week is happening around the time of the wireless festival...thts would be great..even though the pride week does gets more and more run by firms wanting to selll something....the orginal spirit is gone...

so anybody is a member of any "queer" forum here ?
im here
http://www.shoe.org/

Last edited:
also female homosexuality...is often not be taken seriously...when a man pairs up with another man nobody would say things like" he just needs a good humping to get back to women"as in women...
aslo the acceptance of lipstick lesbians seems to be much higher while being a butch seems to a threat ...of course through the fantasies the men imply when seeing two very feminine women together...but on the other hand not be taken seriously and having to make a point that were not only good friends holding hands...is another site of this

Actually, people do say things like that about gay and bisexual men. I think the aspects are different as you said, but keep in mind feminine lesbians are seen as going through a phase, because people can't imagine how they could be anything like a stereotype of a lesbian. They may be accepted as being sexy, but they are not taken seriously either.

Also, how is a woman having sex with a woman so sexy and great to most guys, but a man having sex with a man is not very attractive to most women? Kind of a stupid question, but I think it's funny. To be honest I don't mind a bit of either.

Public Service Announcement: Straight women use this stereotype as a man trapping technique. The unsuspecting guy is led to believe that he's converted a lesbian, and the combination of pheromones and the ego boost cloud his judgment. Then, before he knows what's hit him, he's in Ikea picking out furniture for a love nest in Hoboken! :eek:

you ve got issues? aboutransexuality?really why?

Probably cos I'm a bit of a tomboy too :D, I look feminine but I don't like and don't care about most of girl stuff (make-up, shopping, being sexy etc.)
Boys life always seemed more interesting to me, I played with cars as well when I was a child and so on, so I'm probably afraid to discover one day that I'm transexual, like I was afraid to be a lesbian...

Tags
hanky code rainbow flag
Back
Top Bottom