The Latest on Manchester Affleck's Palace?

Lonsdale71

What is the latest on Manchester's Affleck's Palace?

I really really LOVE Affleck's Palace and I think every major UK city should have a similiar place. London Kensington Market was THE place in the 80's & 90's. Forget the internet - people need a PHYSICAL place to meet, to shop, to be seen, to make friends, to show their talent, to form bands, to get ideas, to hang around, etc.

Any news on the future of the place?

It's under new ownership & it's future seems pretty secure for now.
Oddly enough, it was the big evil corporate office company Bruntwood (that own the building along with most of Manchester's office space) that worked very hard to find someone to run it.
The founder of it just walked away & took the name Afflecks Palace with her. It's just called Afflecks now.

They had to take all those mosaics down cos she owns them & not Bruntwood. So they've painted some pretty pictures instead. Otherwise it's pretty much the same.

It's under new ownership & it's future seems pretty secure for now.
Oddly enough, it was the big evil corporate office company Bruntwood (that own the building along with most of Manchester's office space) that worked very hard to find someone to run it.
The founder of it just walked away & took the name Afflecks Palace with her. It's just called Afflecks now.

They had to take all those mosaics down cos she owns them & not Bruntwood. So they've painted some pretty pictures instead. Otherwise it's pretty much the same.

As accurate as it gets.
There are plenty of other good shops now open around Afflecks too, on Oldham Street, Church Street and Thomas Street

Jukebox Jury

As accurate as it gets.
There are plenty of other good shops now open around Afflecks too, on Oldham Street, Church Street and Thomas Street

Jukebox Jury

For example what shops?

I'm so surprised record shops like Eastern Block is still there!!!!! takes me back to 1989......Flares & E's. Respect to Eastern Bloc.

As accurate as it gets.

Jukebox Jury

Oh yeah, Thomas Street is excellent. And Oklahoma is a great shop.
I can't help looking at Afflecks in disbelief that Bruntwood didn't knock it down.
I gained alot of respect for them with Afflecks. They could have knocked it down or let it rot.

For example what shops?

I'm so surprised record shops like Eastern Block is still there!!!!! takes me back to 1989......Flares & E's. Respect to Eastern Bloc.

Yes, Eastern Bloc is still there (though the other side of the road from where it used to be).

Vinyl Revival, Piccadilly Records and Vinyl exchange are in the area as are lots of clothes shops, Collectors shop (toys and comics) and Dr Herman's Herbal 'High' shop:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom