The Irish Times: Ezra Furman interview - Morrissey mentions (31 Aug., 2019)

Ezra Furman: ‘It’s in my blood to have a fear about encouraging fascism’ - The Irish Times.
By Ed Power

The cult indie singer on his angry new album, falling out of love with Morrissey, Trump’s treatment of refugees and why being gender non-conforming brings everyday peril

Main mention:

"The last time Furman spoke to the Irish Times, in 2015, he described Morrissey as his “hero”. Four years later all our perspectives of the Smiths icon are very different. Old Suedehead recently wore a right-wing “For Britain” pin on the Tonight Show. And he accused Mayor of London Sadiq Khan of being unable to “talk properly”. His halo hasn’t slipped. It’s turned to ashes.

“I’m not really listening to Morrissey or the Smiths lately,” says Furman. “When I do, it’s kind of ruined by thinking about things he’s said. And who he’s putting his support behind. I haven’t been not listening to him because I think it’s wrong to. It’s just hard for me to enjoy.”

He pauses. Furman is trying to walk a line. He may no longer be enamoured of Morrissey. But he doesn’t want to come across as if he’s telling other Smiths fans what they should or should not listen to. He’s not here to preach.

“If you can still enjoy it . . .” he says, trailing off as he gathers his thoughts. “I don’t really believe in trying to erase every Woody Allen movie from history. For one thing, that’s kind of unfair to all the people who worked on those movies or albums or whatever it is. What did they do wrong to have their work erased from culture?

“And secondly . . . we never knew anything about these artists. We’re not friends with them. I never expected my artistic heroes to be ethical heroes. It’s just if it ruins the art for you. For some people it does. For some people it doesn’t. If you were to put on [Smiths uber-weepie] I Know It’s Over Now, I’d be, ‘God, that’s good.’ I still know what’s good.

“You can’t deny that. You can’t be like, ‘yeah, that s*** sucks anyway.’ Maybe it’s a little bit ruined. Maybe it’s forever ruined. It’s hard for me because I’m a songwriter. I need my teachers. I need my texts that I study to get better at this.”"

full

The previous interview cited above that mentioned Morrissey can be found here.

Excerpt from said interview:

"Furman’s knack of catching the listener with a sucker-punch of a lyric before reeling them in with catchy melodies has become his modus operandi. There is a sense of the surreal in some of his songs; others are steeped in the perennial self-deprecating outsider wit that songwriters like Stephin Merritt and Morrissey have made their own.

“They’re my heroes,” he says, unsurprisingly. “They were my early awakening, a realisation that I could do it. They had something unexpected. I could write a joke song really easily, but I think something that might be true for my generation is that there’s a certain irony or detachedness expected of us, even though we really feel sincere. So the only way to sincerity is through a joke. There’s some kind of barrier to get through before you can say ‘I love you’ or ‘I’m hurt’ if you haven’t first pierced this cultural shell in some way.”"

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
whit the f*** is she wearing.

Reasonable as always- Ezra Furman is, in my opinion, one of the greatest musical artists of the last decade. Think a combination of Lou Reed, Dylan and Spingsteen with added gender fluidity.

Thanks for sharing the music: I was unfamiliar with Ezra Furman but I enjoyed the tracks immensely.

Thanks for sharing the music: I was unfamiliar with Ezra Furman but I enjoyed the tracks immensely.

No problemo. If you want to explore further, any of the last four albums are all superb but to provide a brief overview-

Day of the Dog- Supposedly intended as Ezra's last album, but instead became the one that launched their career in the UK. Mostly shorter tracks, great fun and lots of saxophone.

Perpetual Motion People- More accomplished and polished, with more variety and ballads admist the heavier tracks. More brassy and do-wop.

Transangelic Exodus- Last year's concept album about transgender angels on the run, but like any decent concept album the songs work regardless of the overall narrative.

Twelve Nudes- Released on Friday, a punk riot of despair and anger but still with the tunes and lyrics shining through.

Also needless to say, the band are amazing live so would highly reccomend if they appear in your neck of the woods.

Yes, it is interesting that to say anything critical of multiculturalism these days is equated with child abuse.
I do have to say though - Woody Allen has made some great movies. So has Roman Polanski.
Yes, if a person with a public profile does not murmer a bland statement of agreement with the general consensus views, then they are lumped into the general grouping of dodgy celebrities The paedophiles actually get off lighter because they keep schtum, and because they are part of a network who do not want to be implicated publicly.

Morrissey actually stands out on his own, which is why I like him.
I never could abide woody Allen films, and would have watched them with friends who still adore them. Roman Polanski s films never evoked a strong reaction either way. I just thought he was a dodgy character, from Sharon Tates murder to he and his actor pals abusing children. I wouldn't want to give any of them the possible residuals\royalties by watching their movies.

I'm more familiar with his brother Jonah who played bass with Krill.
I wasn't overly excited about their music either. Samey.

this has to be suckiest music ever, makes the super sucky:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: comet songs sound like ray coniff melodies.:nomouth:

the upcoming single by this Furman git:

How does it make you a dodgy character, if your wife gets murdered by a cult you have absolutely no involvement with?
Manson was paid to do it by Polanski who was in Europe as an alibi. Its all media manipulation which retold repeatedly becomes fact, then history.
Look up John Todd and Sharon Tate on YouTube and go from there.
Or believe whatever your mind accepts as truth.

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have more on many subjects, but I wait unil a topic or flow of conversation leads to it.

With greatest of respect I don't know who this artist is... I'm sure tremendously talented but never been on my radar. Being an observer I can't help note that many Musical Artists seem to have a product or tour to thats product related. They are using Morrissey to sell themselves. Have your own opionion on society without using Morrissey as an example.

I'm sorry its poor and obvious PR.

Ezra Furman: ‘It’s in my blood to have a fear about encouraging fascism’ - The Irish Times.
By Ed Power

The cult indie singer on his angry new album, falling out of love with Morrissey, Trump’s treatment of refugees and why being gender non-conforming brings everyday peril

Main mention:

"The last time Furman spoke to the Irish Times, in 2015, he described Morrissey as his “hero”. Four years later all our perspectives of the Smiths icon are very different. Old Suedehead recently wore a right-wing “For Britain” pin on the Tonight Show. And he accused Mayor of London Sadiq Khan of being unable to “talk properly”. His halo hasn’t slipped. It’s turned to ashes.

“I’m not really listening to Morrissey or the Smiths lately,” says Furman. “When I do, it’s kind of ruined by thinking about things he’s said. And who he’s putting his support behind. I haven’t been not listening to him because I think it’s wrong to. It’s just hard for me to enjoy.”

He pauses. Furman is trying to walk a line. He may no longer be enamoured of Morrissey. But he doesn’t want to come across as if he’s telling other Smiths fans what they should or should not listen to. He’s not here to preach.

“If you can still enjoy it . . .” he says, trailing off as he gathers his thoughts. “I don’t really believe in trying to erase every Woody Allen movie from history. For one thing, that’s kind of unfair to all the people who worked on those movies or albums or whatever it is. What did they do wrong to have their work erased from culture?

“And secondly . . . we never knew anything about these artists. We’re not friends with them. I never expected my artistic heroes to be ethical heroes. It’s just if it ruins the art for you. For some people it does. For some people it doesn’t. If you were to put on [Smiths uber-weepie] I Know It’s Over Now, I’d be, ‘God, that’s good.’ I still know what’s good.

“You can’t deny that. You can’t be like, ‘yeah, that s*** sucks anyway.’ Maybe it’s a little bit ruined. Maybe it’s forever ruined. It’s hard for me because I’m a songwriter. I need my teachers. I need my texts that I study to get better at this.”"

full

The previous interview cited above that mentioned Morrissey can be found here.

Excerpt from said interview:

"Furman’s knack of catching the listener with a sucker-punch of a lyric before reeling them in with catchy melodies has become his modus operandi. There is a sense of the surreal in some of his songs; others are steeped in the perennial self-deprecating outsider wit that songwriters like Stephin Merritt and Morrissey have made their own.

“They’re my heroes,” he says, unsurprisingly. “They were my early awakening, a realisation that I could do it. They had something unexpected. I could write a joke song really easily, but I think something that might be true for my generation is that there’s a certain irony or detachedness expected of us, even though we really feel sincere. So the only way to sincerity is through a joke. There’s some kind of barrier to get through before you can say ‘I love you’ or ‘I’m hurt’ if you haven’t first pierced this cultural shell in some way.”"

Regards,
FWD.

Manson was paid to do it by Polanski who was in Europe as an alibi. Its all media manipulation which retold repeatedly becomes fact, then history.
Look up John Todd and Sharon Tate on YouTube and go from there.
Or believe whatever your mind accepts as truth.

For Christ's sake! I'm afraid you'll have to provide us with some other proof than just point to YouTube to make us believe your conspiracy nonsense. What exactly would have been Polanski's motive anyway? I'm not defending his later misdeeds, but this is just absurd. "Or believe what your mind accepts as truth" indeed.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom