The Human Voice Is The Soul - Morrissey Central (Dec. 16th, 2018)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/the-human-voice-is-the-soul

The text:

I am lost to know how to express my thanks for this recent tour. Joyful is not a word that trips easily off my tongue, but joyful it was. There seemed to me to be an even deeper emotional response, and a more powerful projection everywhere of goodwill - more lungful and younger crowds than ever before. Something has happened. What is it?
Every night the crowds sang like an orchestra - every song an anthem, but this time infused with deeper meaning. Perhaps it is partly because of the press and their childish smear campaigns - which we all, not just I, must endure. Perhaps it's because only songs tell us who we really are, after all?
I wasn't attacked or punched at San Diego - the press depress. In fact, I had never felt so liberated in my life.
It is impossible to point to the best nights because they were all so incredible, but our two concerts in Chile and our concert in Peru reminded me of my privileged position to be on stage; it is life, yes, but with all the crap bits left out - for once. Tropicalia, San Diego, Sao Paulo and Mexico City were also particularly breath-taking.

I express my heartfelt thanks to all of you who came along.

backing into the future,
MORRISSEY
Santiago
16 December 2018.

… and I to the appointed place …

2018 was cruel to the Arts; more have quietly slipped away than you possibly realize: Charles Aznavour, Vic Damone, Nancy Wilson, Dorothy Malone, Bernardo Bertolucci, Aretha Franklin, Givenchy, Donnelly Rhodes (below)

…and where do they go?

I'm surprised there's no mention of Pete Shelley. Does anyone know if he paid tribute to him in any of the recent shows?

Last edited:
I'm surprised there's no mention of Pete Shelley. Does anyone know if he paid tribute to him in any of the recent shows?

It might be because he called him a racist after morrissey criticized the use of a buzzcocks song in that McDonald’s commercial. I don’t think he’s mentioned his death

much more positive vibes here than in the video you released last year at this time (has it really been a whole year, mozzer?! I haven't even written my nobel prize winning novel yet or anything!!). still, a video of you speaking would not have been amiss...

glad you had such a good time on tour, lovebug! it's always nice to see you getting the love and respect you deserve. <3

It was one of the most successful years, tourwise. Looking forward to an even better 2019.

And very nice of him to pay tribute (again) to Aznavour and Aretha.

60 next year and just getting started.just think no skinny over Christmas, because there is no more tickets to sell.

It was one of the most successful years, tourwise. Looking forward to an even better 2019.

I find it bizarre how you try to edit history, he had to cancel his UK tour due to poor sales. It was a succesful US and South America tour.

which gigs did you do? x

The pretentious nature of these postings is just too much. I don't wish Morrissey any ill will, but it all comes across as over-the-top, and artificial. Thou doth protest too much.

He seems stunned by the fact that he can still gather a couple of thousand people to see him sing. Nobody is stunned. Nobody is trying to erase him. This is what a waning career of a once relevant artist is supposed to look like. It's not unique to him. Many others do the same. We're just not on their sites.

He thrives on the notion that he is being treated unfairly when he speaks flippantly. It almost seems like a conscious strategy to forever slot himself as the underdog, while testing the public's weather-vane, and saying just enough to be intentionally misunderstood.

It's cagey, self-serving, and I don't like it. Let's see some humility for a change.

It might be because he called him a racist after morrissey criticized the use of a buzzcocks song in that McDonald’s commercial. I don’t think he’s mentioned his death
It would be like expecting Pete Shelley to same some kind words for Morrissey after he died in a hang-gliding accident.

Morrissey's all about bending at the knee. He'll eight-six you over a bad haircut.

I was at his show in San Diego. It was breathtaking. It was such a good and special show for me. I was there with my niece and younger sister. My niece who has become a fan of Morrissey and just really good music she says is partly because of me and my little sister who has accompanied me to past Morrissey concerts. The tickets were an early Christmas present from my Mom. It was all so wonderful and I loved it and was thrilled to be there. San Diego was awesome !

I find it bizarre how you try to edit history, he had to cancel his UK tour due to poor sales. It was a succesful US and South America tour.
UK & Ireland tour Feb- March was very successful with stage invasions in London, so yep was a successful year despite the summer cancellations,

I find it bizarre how you keep ignoring facts. He had a very succesful UK Tour, one of his best ever, this very year, in February/March

I find it bizarre how you keep ignoring facts. He had a very succesful UK Tour, one of his best ever, this very year, in February/March

Yes and one he cancelled due to poor which was to be my daughters first Morrissey gig.

UK & Ireland tour Feb- March was very successful with stage invasions in London, so yep was a successful year despite the summer cancellations,

Ah if stage invasions make it successful thats great. I went to the Birmingham show in February it wasn't full, it was lifeless from an audience perspective and it was a poor set list, far inferior to the set list on the recent tour, so in my book it wasn't successful at all and led to the poor sales later in the year.

Yes and one he cancelled due to poor which was to be my daughters first Morrissey gig.
I think that maybe was not a great idea to start a new tour few months after the Feb-March ones, as usually people don't go to the same gig twice a year, so maybe that's the reason of poor sales in case this is the reason

If the human voice is the soul then Morrisseys soul looks like... :sunflower::hibiscus::rose::cherryblossom::tulip::blossom:
If the human voice is the soul then we'd all be mute standing on a stage with no audience, surrounded by the emptiness of space :eek:
Bah Humbug!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom