The Human Voice Is The Soul - Morrissey Central (Dec. 16th, 2018)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/the-human-voice-is-the-soul

The text:

I am lost to know how to express my thanks for this recent tour. Joyful is not a word that trips easily off my tongue, but joyful it was. There seemed to me to be an even deeper emotional response, and a more powerful projection everywhere of goodwill - more lungful and younger crowds than ever before. Something has happened. What is it?
Every night the crowds sang like an orchestra - every song an anthem, but this time infused with deeper meaning. Perhaps it is partly because of the press and their childish smear campaigns - which we all, not just I, must endure. Perhaps it's because only songs tell us who we really are, after all?
I wasn't attacked or punched at San Diego - the press depress. In fact, I had never felt so liberated in my life.
It is impossible to point to the best nights because they were all so incredible, but our two concerts in Chile and our concert in Peru reminded me of my privileged position to be on stage; it is life, yes, but with all the crap bits left out - for once. Tropicalia, San Diego, Sao Paulo and Mexico City were also particularly breath-taking.

I express my heartfelt thanks to all of you who came along.

backing into the future,
MORRISSEY
Santiago
16 December 2018.

… and I to the appointed place …

2018 was cruel to the Arts; more have quietly slipped away than you possibly realize: Charles Aznavour, Vic Damone, Nancy Wilson, Dorothy Malone, Bernardo Bertolucci, Aretha Franklin, Givenchy, Donnelly Rhodes (below)

…and where do they go?

Michael Stipe, Marc Almond, Boy George, Lloyd Cole, Brett Anderson... not to mention Justin Timberlake or Miley Cyrus :lbf:
The list is endless really.
He is an icon, one of the last really, so his passing will be a really big thing.

But let's hope we won't know until another 25 years or so, at least.

Michael Stipe, Marc Almond, Boy George, Lloyd Cole, Brett Anderson... not to mention Justin Timberlake or Miley Cyrus :lbf:
He is an icon, one of the last really, so his passing will be a really big thing.

When people talk about the future death of celebrities, they tend to rather arrogantly assume that they themselves will outlive said celebrity. There is clearly a good chance that they won't.

I don't understand why Morrissey's passing is a relevant topic here, when he actually is in the prime of his life and in one of the most important moments of his artistic career. It seems that with his words in Morrissey Central he wanted to honor people who actually died and went -or not- to another (better?) life. Where are they now? Did those beautiful souls disappear for ever? Do they still exist in another dimension? That's the question.

This message from Morrissey is so beautiful. Morrissey certainly has a way with words he is a wonderful writer.

Really sad news that Charles Aznavour and Aretha Franklin have died. I loved them both.

I didn't know that Nancy Wilson has also died this year. She was great also.

It might be because he called him a racist after morrissey criticized the use of a buzzcocks song in that McDonald’s commercial. I don’t think he’s mentioned his death
I dislike Pete Shelley because of what he did to Morrissey.

Mike Joyce paid a tribute to Pete Shelley. Apparently, Mike Joyce was a big fan of the "Buzzcocks".

In my view Mike Joyce and his hero Pete Shelley are/were both haters of Morrissey.

It is very sad for Pete Shelley's family, friends and fans. But why should Morrissey have to pay a tribute to one of his haters?

I might be wrong but I don't think Morrissey was ever really a fan of the "Buzzcocks".

Mike Joyce paid a tribute to Pete Shelley. Apparently, Mike Joyce was a big fan of the "Buzzcocks".

In my view Mike Joyce and his hero Pete Shelley are/were both haters of Morrissey.

It is very sad for Pete Shelley's family, friends and fans. But why should Morrissey have to pay a tribute to one of his haters?

I might be wrong but I don't think Morrissey was ever really a fan of the "Buzzcocks".

Shelley was a tramp. Shit band as well.

Pete Shelley was not a Morrissey hater. Mike Joyce was the drummer in Buzzcocks for a while. According to the press, Buzzcocks were Morrissey's heroes.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/the-human-voice-is-the-soul

The text:

I am lost to know how to express my thanks for this recent tour. Joyful is not a word that trips easily off my tongue, but joyful it was. There seemed to me to be an even deeper emotional response, and a more powerful projection everywhere of goodwill - more lungful and younger crowds than ever before. Something has happened. What is it?
Every night the crowds sang like an orchestra - every song an anthem, but this time infused with deeper meaning. Perhaps it is partly because of the press and their childish smear campaigns - which we all, not just I, must endure. Perhaps it's because only songs tell us who we really are, after all?
I wasn't attacked or punched at San Diego - the press depress. In fact, I had never felt so liberated in my life.
It is impossible to point to the best nights because they were all so incredible, but our two concerts in Chile and our concert in Peru reminded me of my privileged position to be on stage; it is life, yes, but with all the crap bits left out - for once. Tropicalia, San Diego, Sao Paulo and Mexico City were also particularly breath-taking.

I express my heartfelt thanks to all of you who came along.

backing into the future,
MORRISSEY
Santiago
16 December 2018.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Morrissey...your welcome and I thank you

Jason

Eddie Riff

Barry Chuckle from the "Chuckle Brothers" sadly died on 5th August 2018. I thought that Morrissey might of mentioned this.

In March 2016, Barry Chuckle received condemnation for sharing a Facebook post from the political party Britain First. The post, originally shared in June 2015, called on politicians to strip migrants of their citizenship if they left the country to join a terror group. Following the unearthing of the post, Tommy Robinson, former leader of the English Defence League (EDL) came to Barry's defence, calling on people to "leave the man alone". Britain First subsequently described the incident as a "non-story". "Britain First" is different to "For Britain" which is run by Anne Marie Waters.

For more info about the Chuckle Brothers see their Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuckle_Brothers

The great Geoffrey Hayes from the children's tv programme "Rainbow" died on 30th September 2018. Geoffrey Hayes appeared in the video for "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" by Oasis tribute band, No Way Sis. He replicated the role of a taxi driver, just as Patrick Macnee had done in the Oasis video for "Don't Look Back in Anger". Geoffrey Hayes also appeared in the all-star line up for the video of Tony Christie with Peter Kay's single "Is This the Way to Amarillo?" In 2002, he was a guest panellist on an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

For more info about Geoffrey Hayes see his Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Hayes

Chas Hodges from the band "Chas & Dave" sadly died on 22nd September 2018. Katie Hopkins has talked about this. For more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chas_Hodges

English comedy writer and television presenter Denis Norden CBE died on 19th September 2018. For more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Norden

Pete Shelley was not a Morrissey hater. Mike Joyce was the drummer in Buzzcocks for a while. According to the press, Buzzcocks were Morrissey's heroes.
I believe that Pete Shelley was a hater of Morrissey. Mike Joyce is one of the prime haters of Morrissey.

Mike Joyce was a big fan of the "Buzzcocks". However, yes you are right that Mike Joyce did later play drums for the "Buzzcocks" for a while. There have been quite a few previous members of the "Buzzcocks".

This is taken from the "Following the Mozziah" blog:

"The Buzzcocks singer Pete Shelley died at the age of 63 from a heart attack. All the usual Mancunian suspects have come out to offer words of condolence: Peter Hook, Tim Burgess, Mike Joyce etc, but there has been no word from Morrissey. Morrissey covered the Pete Shelley composed Buzzcocks song, "You Say You Don't Love Me", which is probably why many people are speculating that Morrissey may offer some words of condolence, but as Shelley allowed 'McDonalds' to use the song "What Do I Get" in a McDonalds commercial.... "

When did Morrissey ever say to the press that the "Buzzcocks" were his heroes? The press make things up about Morrissey all the time. The press print rubbish about Morrissey all the time. Do you have a link to the article? Pete Shelley accused Morrissey of being a "racist"! Also Pete Shelley sold out and made money from a 'McDonalds' television advert! Pete Shelley wasn't a vegan and he didn't care enough about animal rights. Why would Morrissey like him?

In my view Pete Shelley was one of the Morrissey haters along with Peter Hook, Tim Burgess (of the alternative rock band The Charlatans), Mike Joyce etc

People also wondered why Morrissey didn't pay tribute to David Bowie when he died in 2016. Why should he of done? In my view David Bowie and Pete Shelley didn't treat Morrissey well in the end.

I believe that Pete Shelley was a hater of Morrissey. Mike Joyce is one of the prime haters of Morrissey.

Mike Joyce was a big fan of the "Buzzcocks". However, yes you are right that Mike Joyce did later play drums for the "Buzzcocks" for a while. There have been quite a few previous members of the "Buzzcocks".

"The Buzzcocks singer Pete Shelley died at the age of 63 from a heart attack. All the usual Mancunian suspects have come out to offer words of condolence: Peter Hook, Tim Burgess, Mike Joyce etc, but there has been no word from Morrissey. Morrissey covered the Pete Shelley composed Buzzcocks song, "You Say You Don't Love Me", which is probably why many people are speculating that Morrissey may offer some words of condolence, but as Shelley allowed 'McDonalds' to use the song "What Do I Get" in a McDonalds commercial.... "

When did Morrissey ever say to the press that the "Buzzcocks" were his heroes? The press make things up about Morrissey all the time. The press print rubbish about Morrissey all the time. Do you have a link to the article? Pete Shelley accused Morrissey of being a "racist"! Also Pete Shelley sold out and made money from a 'McDonalds' television advert! Pete Shelley wasn't a vegan and he didn't care enough about animal rights. Why would Morrissey like him?

In my view Pete Shelley was one of the Morrissey haters along with Peter Hook, Tim Burgess (of the alternative rock band The Charlatans), Mike Joyce etc

People also wondered why Morrissey didn't pay tribute to David Bowie when he died in 2016. Why should he of done? In my view David Bowie and Pete Shelley didn't treat Morrissey well in the end.

Pete Shelley has only ever made one comment about Morrissey in public, which was "at least I'm not a racist" and in your book that makes him a hater?

Pete Shelley has only ever made one comment about Morrissey in public, which was "at least I'm not a racist" and in your book that makes him a hater?
It certainly wasn't a very nice thing to say, but he may have been talking about the way the press portayed him.

They certainly were. One of his main Mancunian inspirations. Although Devoto slightly more than Shelley I would say.

From Passionsjustlikemine:

Buzzcocks

• In a letter to the editor published by the NME in the mid/late 1970s Morrissey wrote: "I have made the impertinence to inform the masses of a quartet infamously known as Buzzcocks who seem to fit so neatly into the punk category, yet have been eschewed from all chances of recognition. Buzzcocks differ only one way from their contemporaries: they possess a spark of originality (that was important once, remember?), and their music gives you the impression they spend longer than the customary ten minutes clutching the quill in preparation to write. Indubitably, Buzzcocks will hardly figure strongly - or even weakly - in the NME poll, and in these dark days when Patti Smith, Loudon Wainwright or even the New York Dolls fail to make an impact on Radio 1 DJs, common sense is therefore not so common. Both this letter and Buzzcocks themselves will probably be filed and forgotten. But for now, they are the best kick-ass rock band in the country."

• In an interview publised by Face magazine in July 1984 Morrissey answered the question "Were the Buzzcocks and Pete Shelley in particular, near and dear to you?" with the answer "Mmmmm. Yes. They had an endearingly confused quality... really Northern, dim and appealingly camp."
  • Singer Pete Shelley opened for the Smiths on what would turn out to be their final concert on 12 December 1986.
  • The band was slotted by Morrissey at #3 in a list of favourite Manchester musical artists published in the 16 September 1989 issue of the NME under the title "Moanchester, So Much To Answer For".
  • Morrissey covered their song "You Say You Don't Love Me" on some live dates in 2008, and once in 2009.
  • When invited to play his favourite bands on KCRW's Guest DJ Project in August 2008, Morrissey chose their song "You Say You Don't Love Me".

terrible group.:straightface:

I believe that Pete Shelley was a hater of Morrissey. That was a horrible thing that Pete Shelley said about Morrissey! Pete Shelley said a nasty snide remark, it sounds really sarcastic, he was implying that Morrissey is a racist! I know exactly what Pete Shelley was doing.

Also Pete Shelley allowed 'McDonalds' to use the song "What Do I Get" in a McDonald's television commercial!

In a statement posted by fansite True To You, Morrissey writes, “Please, somebody, tell me it’s just a bad dream… [Buzzcocks singer] Pete Shelley has allowed McDonald’s to use Buzzcocks’ ‘What do I get?’ to TV advertise McDonald’s new Big Flavour (the flavour being sawdust) Chicken Wraps?!”
Read more at: https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-15-1198784#qb3LDAmv2srx3B1t.99

This is the "Following the Mozziah" blog link about Pete Shelley:
http://followingthemozziah.blogspot.com/2018/12/friday-december-7th-2018-day-2640-mama.html

I believe that Pete Shelley was a hater of Morrissey. That was a horrible thing that Pete Shelley said about Morrissey! Pete Shelley said a nasty snide remark, it sounds really sarcastic, he was implying that Morrissey is a racist! I know exactly what Pete Shelley was doing.

Also Pete Shelley allowed 'McDonalds' to use the song "What Do I Get" in a McDonald's television commercial!

In a statement posted by fansite True To You, Morrissey writes, “Please, somebody, tell me it’s just a bad dream… [Buzzcocks singer] Pete Shelley has allowed McDonald’s to use Buzzcocks’ ‘What do I get?’ to TV advertise McDonald’s new Big Flavour (the flavour being sawdust) Chicken Wraps?!”
Read more at: https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-15-1198784#qb3LDAmv2srx3B1t.99

This is the "Following the Mozziah" blog link about Pete Shelley:
http://followingthemozziah.blogspot.com/2018/12/friday-december-7th-2018-day-2640-mama.html

Ok, you sound like a bit of a psychopath and unfortunately Pete isn’t here to defend himself, so fill your boots if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:

despite all the nice things Moz said about his group, he went and became a hater living in "Estonia".:paranoid:

Ok, you sound like a bit of a psychopath and unfortunately Pete isn’t here to defend himself, so fill your boots if it makes you feel better.
I would just like to ask, who is Surface?, I would presume reading through the comments that Surface is bigger than God?, I don't know if Surface is male or female, same as many people don't know if God is male or female? But it really does me that one individual feels they have the right to play God, whoever you are Surface, I can assure you that you are f*** All, this is what really pisses me about this website, stupid cock suckers playing God, I'm here because I love Morrissey.

The soul is what gives the thinking being, the thinking self, cognitive sentience. The soul can also be said to be the sentient part of the self.

The voice is the divine given instrument, by which a being can either elevate the soul, or be elevated, to heights otherwise untouchable by any of the other senses. Otherwise unreachable, and otherwise unknown.

Therefore the singing voice, when the gift is there and when the gift exists - can be the conduit that has the power that allows the soul to feel something so deeply - that the here, and the now, are all transcended.

The singing voice is the soul, because we all exist on a continuum. And the gift to elevate, and to be elevated, and to transcend the visceral of the present - is a gift that has been deigned to the masses, but the gift only exists when someone is willing to let go, momentarily, of their soul. In other words to receive, you also have to give something - of yourself.

For the soul to be elevated to dizzying heights, you have to be willing to feel. And if you are the listener - you have to be willing to let the soul take you somewhere else, and you also have to be willing to follow it.

And if you are singer, the singing voice becomes the ultimate manifestion of the soul - because when you sing, your voice is the only part of you that exists anymore, and the voice is the everything that you are.

Damn straight
'Hilarious, Moz is a singer therefore singing has to be the ultimate art form and expression. You get painters who say the same about painting, dancers who say the same about dancing. Actors who say the same about acting, potters who never say the same about pottery.
Pure ego driven nonsense ..

It's just another layer of indulgence to hide his feelings of being inadequate-on a Trumpian level.
Another sign of self delusion, another form of bluff to make the impressionable think he's the ultimate 'one'
Just like the last chapter in his auto where he writes as if he's the only artist people get tattoos of, as if all his LA fans are all attractive, when really most are dog ugly and fattys and the most amusing of all he has the best backing band in the world. Lordy on high, that guy hasn't even got the best band in Silver Lake

It's a shame he feels the need to make these overblown posts. Such crap I notice LA isn't on these lists these days. I wonder if it's because he can't sell out a Stars size venue? He's certainly not as respected as he was. Lots of Moz nights are stopping or are badly attended. The old crowd are moving on. So South America is the new LA That's Moz for you, like a iffy snake oil salesman, as soon as he gets found out off he goes, moving on '

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom