The Human Voice Is The Soul - Morrissey Central (Dec. 16th, 2018)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/the-human-voice-is-the-soul

The text:

I am lost to know how to express my thanks for this recent tour. Joyful is not a word that trips easily off my tongue, but joyful it was. There seemed to me to be an even deeper emotional response, and a more powerful projection everywhere of goodwill - more lungful and younger crowds than ever before. Something has happened. What is it?
Every night the crowds sang like an orchestra - every song an anthem, but this time infused with deeper meaning. Perhaps it is partly because of the press and their childish smear campaigns - which we all, not just I, must endure. Perhaps it's because only songs tell us who we really are, after all?
I wasn't attacked or punched at San Diego - the press depress. In fact, I had never felt so liberated in my life.
It is impossible to point to the best nights because they were all so incredible, but our two concerts in Chile and our concert in Peru reminded me of my privileged position to be on stage; it is life, yes, but with all the crap bits left out - for once. Tropicalia, San Diego, Sao Paulo and Mexico City were also particularly breath-taking.

I express my heartfelt thanks to all of you who came along.

backing into the future,
MORRISSEY
Santiago
16 December 2018.

… and I to the appointed place …

2018 was cruel to the Arts; more have quietly slipped away than you possibly realize: Charles Aznavour, Vic Damone, Nancy Wilson, Dorothy Malone, Bernardo Bertolucci, Aretha Franklin, Givenchy, Donnelly Rhodes (below)

…and where do they go?

don't even suggest such a thing, im still waiting for ole Moz to get visited by 3 ghosts and reform his ways :cool:

"Reform his ways"...WHY ? .....IT PAYS ! He makes a tiddy profit outta bein a cranky old codger he does. As ol'Mozzer ages away, the "chronic brain syndrome", sets in and takes, with often horrific behavior. When Mozzer takes to setting Mac Donald's and hot dog vendor carts ablaze, you'll know the end is near!

Those who attended know they were great shows, congrats

We only know it because it was posted on here. Wonder how many artists will comment on Morrissey's passing? Chrissie Hynde and Nancy Sinatra spring to mind?

He ll outlive them all. He's only a young lad of 59 with a voice better than those half his age. His music will live in our souls forever. Judging by the response of audiences in his successful Ireland and UK tour in Feb /March and this recent tour many fans feel the same way. We really do love him and is that so bad.

I love Morrissey. But he's been saying the human voice is the soul for a long time. What does it mean? It seems an arbitrary statement. He has a good voice but is he trying to say he's more soulful than anyone else? Seems to me it suits his agenda. The way you treat other people, the way you conduct yourself, your loves and your hates, these all show your soul. Just because you have a lovely singing voice isn't indicitave of your soul.
The soul is what gives the thinking being, the thinking self, cognitive sentience. The soul can also be said to be the sentient part of the self.

The voice is the divine given instrument, by which a being can either elevate the soul, or be elevated, to heights otherwise untouchable by any of the other senses. Otherwise unreachable, and otherwise unknown.

Therefore the singing voice, when the gift is there and when the gift exists - can be the conduit that has the power that allows the soul to feel something so deeply - that the here, and the now, are all transcended.

The singing voice is the soul, because we all exist on a continuum. And the gift to elevate, and to be elevated, and to transcend the visceral of the present - is a gift that has been deigned to the masses, but the gift only exists when someone is willing to let go, momentarily, of their soul. In other words to receive, you also have to give something - of yourself.

For the soul to be elevated to dizzying heights, you have to be willing to feel. And if you are the listener - you have to be willing to let the soul take you somewhere else, and you also have to be willing to follow it.

And if you are singer, the singing voice becomes the ultimate manifestion of the soul - because when you sing, your voice is the only part of you that exists anymore, and the voice is the everything that you are.

I love Morrissey. But he's been saying the human voice is the soul for a long time. What does it mean? It seems an arbitrary statement. He has a good voice but is he trying to say he's more soulful than anyone else? Seems to me it suits his agenda. The way you treat other people, the way you conduct yourself, your loves and your hates, these all show your soul. Just because you have a lovely singing voice isn't indicitave of your soul.

I'm guessing here but maybe Morrissey just wants to say that "alma matters", that your voice will follow your soul. Sometimes you listen to someone singing or talking with a technically perfect voice but that person transmits nothing to you. Other times you listen to someone with a very limited voice who overcomes those limitations and that person touches your heart. That's because that person has an extraordinary soul and can channel it directly into yours. That usually happens with most popular artists, what is simply beautiful.

Indeed, Moz threw his toys out of the pram over the Buzzers licensing 'What Do I Get' for McDonalds. And then there is the fact that nobody from Manchester who knew Moz pre Moz calls him Moz. They continue to call him Steve, much to his chagrin. Great story from Steve Diggle about running into Moz at some festival and yelling: 'Steve get the beers in'. To which Moz made a quick exit and ran back to his dressing room. Mark E Smith and many other Manchester alumni have had fun with this name calling over the years. We should all try it.

^ An EXCELLENT ancedote and relevant commentary on something that pertains directly to the soul of your hero. ...and yet one of you - his wee, pussy-ass keyboard warrior minions - marked this poster as a troll.

Psychohantic twats. Get a f***ing clue.

I'm guessing here but maybe Morrissey just wants to say that "alma matters", that your voice will follow your soul. Sometimes you listen to someone singing or talking with a technically perfect voice but that person transmits nothing to you. Other times you listen to someone with a very limited voice who overcomes those limitations and that person touches your heart. That's because that person has an extraordinary soul and can channel it directly into yours. That usually happens with most popular artists, what is simply beautiful.
Yes. When Morrissey was quite limited in range at the beginning, there was still an honesty that enthralled me. He still has it now but he mustnt become too complacent. He's at risk of becoming too enamoured with his own technique and virtuosity at the expense of that underlying honesty.

To quote that greek fan from "The Importance of being Morrissey" docu 2002: "Morrissey is god here in Athens". Come back to europe in 2019. We may be old, ugly, less enthusiastic & by far the most depressing people you'll ever known but you were once one of us. Never forget, californian son! Remember the late Keith Moon (The Loon) of The Who, who returned from Malibu to cold & windy London town in the mid 70s cause he was bored to death there.

Last edited:
As 2018 draws to an end, it was a pleasure to have seen Morrissey on numerous occasions on tour this year, and particularly a pleasure to have had the opportunity to shoot a couple of his live shows. I wanted to share these images. Photos from two of his London shows this year Royal Albert Hall (London) and O2 Academy Brixton can be viewed on the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielnrobson/albums/72157701472606402

Here's to 2019, hopefully another tour!
superb photos,is there anyway people can buy these in decent sizes.

I really can't take this grandiose bilge seriously any more. Does he know other singers tour as well? He did some concerts. The people bought tickets. He sang some songs, the people went home and he got paid. He sounds like someone fanning the last dying embers of a cult.

It's beautiful like a letter sent in 1800. Merry Christmas Trouble Joe.

"Every night the crowds sang like an orchestra - every song an anthem, but this time infused with deeper meaning. Perhaps it is partly because of the press and their childish smear campaigns - which we all, not just I, must endure. Perhaps it's because only songs tell us who we really are, after all?"

Or perhaps it's because you've stopped singing most of your recent songs with their unbelievably crap lyrics (when you open your legs in bed, God bless Israel, wrap your legs around my face, put your head in my lap, etc.), and returned to the stuff from many years ago upon which your reputation (as a brilliant and original lyricist) was actually built?

We only know it because it was posted on here. Wonder how many artists will comment on Morrissey's passing? Chrissie Hynde and Nancy Sinatra spring to mind?
Surely tons of others. The list of bands influenced by The Smiths is endless. One can of course be upset with Moz for whatever reason one see fit, but to deny his legacy is just silly.

Surely tons of others. The list of bands influenced by The Smiths is endless. One can of course be upset with Moz for whatever reason one see fit, but to deny his legacy is just silly.

Probably yes, another couple who who spring to mind are Noel Gallagher and Bono.

I was not aware that Anne Coates died as well. Another Morrissey pseudonym passes into the ether...

MrShoes

PS...Pepperidge Farms remembers...
I was wondering if that's where he got the name from.

Probably yes, another couple who who spring to mind are Noel Gallagher and Bono.
Damon Albarn and Thom Yorke have also professed their love for Moz.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom