The Herald - Trying to look cool by refusing to sell Morrissey's album is not cool at all by Mark Smith

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
Mark Smith: Trying to look cool by refusing to sell Morrissey's album is not cool at all - The Herald

This is an opinion article dealing with Glasgow shop Monorail's refusal to stock 'IANADOAC.'
I HAVE friends whose opinions I find distasteful. I still see them. I have colleagues I don’t like. I still work with them. I have books at home that contain sexist, racist, and homophobic views. I still read them. I do this because I cannot edit the world to make it the way I want it to be. If only other people felt the same way.

By other people, I mean record stores that are announcing, to the soundtrack of self-righteousness, that they will not be selling the new album by Morrissey. It happened with his last album and it’s happening again now with the new one. Monorail, a record store in Glasgow, said in a tweet this week: “Just so you know, like many of our colleagues, we won't be stocking the new Morrissey album.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Wash your mouth with soap. Before you speak against Mexicans. Whatever you are. !!
Right over your f***ing head, eh? What, exactly was “against Mexicans” in that post? Go have a cold shower, dig into some remedial comprehension courses and then give your wee noggin a good shake before you spout any more bullshit, sweetie.

You are the racist!!
Never mind. There’s much more than just reading comprehension required here.

Ann176... Just another try-hard cog in the wheel of rational thought.

They're not trying to look cool. They are taking what steps they can to stop money getting into the hands of a supporter of bigots and racists. And that, in my book, is admirable. Maybe some of you think giving money to supporters of racists and bigots is a good thing.

Anything that pisses you off is admirable in my book.

FREE SPEECH! FREE SPEECH! RECORD STORES ARE NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN THEY USE THEIR OWN BRAIN! FREE SPEECH!

Also- all of the record stores I frequent still have unsold California Son vinyl in the bargain bin. What's the point in ordering something that won't move if you're a small business?

They're not trying to look cool. They are taking what steps they can to stop money getting into the hands of a supporter of bigots and racists. And that, in my book, is admirable. Maybe some of you think giving money to supporters of racists and bigots is a good thing.
Maybe letting people exercise free will by buying the album is a good thing. People like you are one step away from burning books.

You should check your own thoughts before posting on here. You are in some way a bigot and a racist. Nobody is free from all prejudice. "Yest he cast the first stone"....and my friend you cast a lot of stones...

Skinny, regardless of where this LP ends up in the charts I dont care for your shitty comments. You continue to spout your shit on here. Why????? you will never understand..... Go and listen to Boyzone, Take That..... etc etc

WHY DO YOU COME HERE???? Seriously: WHY?

You are an uneducated clown, go and troll your opinionated crap elsewhere!

It’s a weird time when liberals want to have shops not sell art. I wouldn’t want bookstores to not sell books by men with opinions that differ from mine even if I found it offensive. It’s one thing to choose as an individual what I want to support, even a boycott campaign but when stores decide not to carry things based on moral crusades that don’t include murder or rape (clearly not) it feels kinda creepy. It feels a lot like the moral crusades waged by people who used to number me an enemy. Similar logic, similar tactics

If Moz was still a media darling, despite his views, that record shop would stock the record as it would be flying off the shelves.
Lets not pretend that they actually think they are doing folk a great moral service here. They probably assume his fanbase is growing ever smaller and don't think enough copies will sell. Making money is all they are interested in.
They probably don't like Morrissey, that is their right, they don't have to stock his product, that is their right also. Just don't then. Why turn this into something its not?

If Moz was still a media darling, despite his views, that record shop would stock the record as it would be flying off the shelves.
Lets not pretend that they actually think they are doing folk a great moral service here. They probably assume his fanbase is growing ever smaller and don't think enough copies will sell. Making money is all they are interested in.
They probably don't like Morrissey, that is their right, they don't have to stock his product, that is their right also. Just don't then. Why turn this into something its not?

I’m pretty sure I could walk into those stores and find a record by a person who sells a lot less than morrissey pretty easily. It’s not about the sales of the individual records. It’s about displaying moral superiority and if people wanted to take a cynical money angel they probably like the free press about good a citizen they are

It's not admirable, it's pathetic!
Will they do the same thing to every band whose opinion they don't share??
I have friends whose political views I don't share at all and I still love them and they're still great people. Not everyone has the same opinion as yourself.

And Morrissey can be an asshole, have a bigmouth and anything you like but a racist he is NOT and at least has the courage and the guts to speak his mind. Do I share his views? not much in many topics but that will never make me censor him, not him nor anyone.

One thing I would do, if I was a customer of that record shop, is to never buy from them again. They can stick their self-righteousness up their asses!

That's not current, though, is it? Right now it's down to 8. Naughty. For how long will you keep posting a misleading representation?
Pretty sure the point was to show that it did, indeed, hit number one. Most albums these days, even successful ones, don't stay at the top for massive amounts of time. By the way, how many albums have you sold? You know, the broken one that keeps repeating the same tired line over and over and over and over while everyone else has moved on to a different, better party more of their liking. Oh, that's right, you haven't sold any records because the only thing you're capable of is screaming into the void of the fan forum of an artist you tirelessly and endlessly obsess over, despite nobody else giving your tired repetition more than an eye roll and possibly a quick prayer for your mental health. Go live a life. There's a lot of wonderful things out there. If Morrissey is no longer for you, move on. Or, you know, DO something about it. Start a protest, write letters, rent a plane and do some sky writing. Something, anything, would be more productive than stalking a forum and vomiting out the bile that nobody else cares about. It's really to be pitied.

A letter in The Herald, from some bloke who has probably never been near the clatty (aka bohemiah) middle-class mank pit that is Mono.

noeeoe.JPG

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom