the guitar hero/rockband thread...

No! Get them a squire strat or an Epiphone Dot in a starting players pack if you're not sure if they are completely interested. Then as they get better years later reward their skills with a nice guitar and amp.

Guitar hero won't teach them anything, it'll just be a fun music-themed game.

Is it better to learn on an electric or acoustic, or doesn't it matter?

i learned on a thick-necked acoustic worth less than $30.

its really up to the player. my acoustic takes up a lot more space than my electric but i play the acoustic more cos i can just grab it and play.

...the guitar sometimes stops me on the way to the restroom.

As he said, acoustic is grab -> tune -> play.

Now that I think about it electric requires space for the guitar and amp, plus money needs to be spent on wires, pedals, etc. Honestly, I'd buy my non-existent kid an electric, but acoustic is much more forgiving when starting out. Mistakes on electric are very clear and noticeable which could drain a kids self-esteem and make them not want to play. An acoustic is not much better, but when it isn't miced for live performances (and I assume your kid is not playing gigs any time soon), then an acoustic can make large mistakes sounds slightly less bad with the sounds of the pick brushing against the strings making up a lot of the acoustic sound. If you aren't sure if your child is into to playing, get an acoustic. But if your kid is very driven to play, go ahead, get him the electric.

Keep in mind these are just my two cents. Maybe you could let the little person decide. That might work out best.

i bought a real guitar a year ago but couldnt learn a note on it, then guitar hero came out and i thought maybe that would help with the real one but it didnt it felt worse and i wanted buttons to press not flimsy little wires. id go for paint it black as my fave. when does rock band come out in the uk ???

I've beaten all guitar heros on expert but have yet to play rockband

But I also can play REAL guitar so I think that cancels out the geekyness

Woman and Search and Destroy are among my favorites on guitar hero

93dd4.jpg

This cartridge^ was the alpha and omega of my short but intense grade-school gaming experience. Losers. :p

On Rock Band ~

Creep - Radiohead

Expert on vocals on almost every song. 'Cept those hillbilly songs.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

where's skinner?

Why thank you for recalling that I am that big of a nerd :guitar:

^^^

actually... we call it BONER.

"we play on boner."

That's excellent!!

yeah, i can't stand people who think people who are good at guitar hero are geniuses on REAL guitar.

now... the drums on ROCKBAND...

it is like playing real drums. seriously.

I have to agree with you there. I have been playing guitar hero since the first one was released for PS2. I have experienced serious addiction to this game. But the drums for Rockband defiantly have more skill and musical inclination needed to be successful. They are challenging and I love them. Rockband rules!

my mom was watching Ellen, or one of those shows. she goes "christina look at this, this kid is amazing at guitar." I go to the tv, im like "mom hes playing a video game. thats guitar hero. that is not a real guitar." shes like "oh."

you can get on Ellen by playing guitar hero?

current favs:

MOTHER by danzig on part 2

and paranoid by black sabbath on part 3

My current favorite (although my hands go numb by the end of it)..

Through the Fire and the Flames by Dragonforce!! :guitar:

Talk about thrilling, see these guys live! It will melt your mind!!!

I can't play real guitar. The only video game (is it called video game?) I like to play is Guitar Hero. Not sure which one it is...but I know it has Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana (which I like). And Strutter. And Message In A Bottle by Police, which my brother likes to play repeatedly. I'm quite comfortable on Medium level, which sounds really lame, compared to all you experts and game-beaters, but whatever :guitar:

I can't play real guitar. The only video game (is it called video game?) I like to play is Guitar Hero. Not sure which one it is...but I know it has Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana (which I like). And Strutter. And Message In A Bottle by Police, which my brother likes to play repeatedly. I'm quite comfortable on Medium level, which sounds really lame, compared to all you experts and game-beaters, but whatever :guitar:

You have just described Guitar Hero 2. An excellent game. A song that I found to be quite enjoyable even though I thought it was going to be lame originally is "Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet. It's got a good groove and I enjoy playing it. Also "Jessica" is insanely enjoyable as well.

Keep rocking and keep the dream alive!!! :guitar:

You have just described Guitar Hero 2. An excellent game. A song that I found to be quite enjoyable even though I thought it was going to be lame originally is "Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet. It's got a good groove and I enjoy playing it. Also "Jessica" is insanely enjoyable as well.

Keep rocking and keep the dream alive!!! :guitar:

:D I like Jessica too. Or ''the Top Gear tune'' as its known in our house.

Back
Top Bottom