The Guardian website has been on Passions Just Like Mine

Moz on early Depeche Mode

Steven Morrissey reviews a Depeche Mode / Ludus concert: "Depeche Mode may not be the most remarkably boring group ever to walk the face of the earth, but they're certainly in the running. Their sophisticated nonsense succeeds only in emphasising just how hilariously unimaginative they really are. At once we recognise four coiffured Barry White's (a nauseating version); "cain't get enough of your lerve" they profess too dull to be even boring. They ressurect every murderously monotous cliche known to modern man, and "New Life" looms as nothing more than a bland jelly-baby. Still the man from 'Jackie' was impressed, knowing that, at leat, these boys have nice hair... and the conveyor belt moves along. Ludus, plainly wishing they were elsewhere, hammered out a passionate set to an audience possibly hand-picked for their tone deafness. But Ludus like to wallow in other people's depravities and therefore their music offers everything to everyone. Linder was born singing and has more imagination than Depeche Mode could ever hope for. Still Depeche Mode get the Jackie spread. No justice!"

From Passions Just Like Mine!!!

Re: Moz on early Depeche Mode

Steven Morrissey reviews a Depeche Mode / Ludus concert: "Depeche Mode may not be the most remarkably boring group ever to walk the face of the earth, but they're certainly in the running. Their sophisticated nonsense succeeds only in emphasising just how hilariously unimaginative they really are. At once we recognise four coiffured Barry White's (a nauseating version); "cain't get enough of your lerve" they profess too dull to be even boring. They ressurect every murderously monotous cliche known to modern man, and "New Life" looms as nothing more than a bland jelly-baby. Still the man from 'Jackie' was impressed, knowing that, at leat, these boys have nice hair... and the conveyor belt moves along. Ludus, plainly wishing they were elsewhere, hammered out a passionate set to an audience possibly hand-picked for their tone deafness. But Ludus like to wallow in other people's depravities and therefore their music offers everything to everyone. Linder was born singing and has more imagination than Depeche Mode could ever hope for. Still Depeche Mode get the Jackie spread. No justice!"

From Passions Just Like Mine!!!

Where'd you get this quote fom exactly?

Oh never mind I just saw te hyperlinkwithin the article.

Last edited:
I was just reading more at thePassions link http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/moz-mb.htm

and Morrissey slags offthe Ramones. I thought he liked them. curious.

and notice the typo of Morrissey's name being typed incorrectly (Morrison) in a news clip of when he was in the Nosebleeds.

21 July 1976 - ??? (UK)
Under the headline "Ramones are rubbish", Morrissey writes: "The Ramones are the latest bumptious band of degenerate no-talents whose most notable achievement to date is their ability to advance beyond the boundaries of New York City, and purely on the strength of a spate of convincing literature projecting the Ramones as God's gift to rock music. They have been greeted with instant adulation by an army of duped fans. Musically, they do not deal in subtlety or variation of any kind, their rule is to be as incompetent as possible. For a band believed to project the youth of America, New York - suburban life, anti-conformism, sex and struggle, or whatever, they fail miserably. And in the sober light of day their imperfections have a field day. (...). The New York Dolls and Patti Smith have proved that there is some life pumping away in the swamps and gutters of New York and they are the only acts which originated from the N.Y. club scene worthy of any praise. The Ramones have absolutely nothing to add that is of relevance or importance and should be rightly filed and forgotten. Steve Morrissey, Kings Road, Stretford, Manchester."

25 September 1976 - Sounds (UK)
This issue has two letters by Morrissey. A first under the pen name Morrissey where he mentions that it is "a joke that the Dolls should be compared to such notoriously no-talents as the Ramones and the Sex Pistols". Another letter under the pen name 'Steven' talks about Patti Smith: "Horses by Patti Smith has virtually no competition as the most exciting rock album of the year and it shows more potential than just about any other release in recent memory. There is no 'beat on the brat' nonsense. Patti is intriguing without being boring and every track is laced with her own brand of sardonic humour."

May 1978 - NME (UK)
Review by Paul Morley of May 8th gig of the Nosebleeds fronted by Morrissey: "The Nosebleeds have also noticeably metamorphosed though probably due more to personnel changes than anything else. Last year they were the entirely forgettable Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds (who 'created' the dirge-like single "Ain't Bin To No Music School" for Rabid Records); now Banger has gone his own so-called eccentric way. The Nosebleeds re-surface boasting A Front Man With Charisma, always an advantage. Lead singer is now minor local legend Steve Morrisson, who, in his own way, is at least aware that rock'n'roll is about magic, and inspiration. So The Nosebleeds are now a more obvious rock'n'roll group than they've ever been. Only their name can prevent them being this year's surprise."

Thanks for this.

His views on the Sex Pistols having a New York/Manhattan punk influence, despite what they have claimed were right on the money.

yes. Maybe he likes Depeche Mode now? Probably not.

Who knows what he might think of them now? I would have hated them too in 1981 and I adore them now. :) They've come a long way since bland synth-pop, "I Just Can't Get Enough" :eek:

Yes, he likes Ramones, he even put them on UTI, so it's funny that he once slagged them off. But I remember there was an early 1980s interview where he said that he used to adore New York Dolls, but he disliked them now! It seems like he even went through a brief Dolls-hating period!! Maybe it had something to do with him doing everything at that time to oppose the 'sex, drugs and rock'n'roll' myth. Which is quite ironic since his teenage heroes New York Dolls were the embodiment of 'sex, drugs and rock'n'roll'!!!

Didn't someone say he was at a recent Iggy Pop concert?

I was just reading more at thePassions link http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/moz-mb.htm

(...)

May 1978 - NME (UK)
Review by Paul Morley of May 8th gig of the Nosebleeds fronted by Morrissey: "The Nosebleeds have also noticeably metamorphosed though probably due more to personnel changes than anything else. Last year they were the entirely forgettable Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds (who 'created' the dirge-like single "Ain't Bin To No Music School" for Rabid Records); now Banger has gone his own so-called eccentric way. The Nosebleeds re-surface boasting A Front Man With Charisma, always an advantage. Lead singer is now minor local legend Steve Morrisson, who, in his own way, is at least aware that rock'n'roll is about magic, and inspiration. So The Nosebleeds are now a more obvious rock'n'roll group than they've ever been. Only their name can prevent them being this year's surprise."

" A Front Man With A Charisma", is that the synonym for "The Village Idiot"? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

God. Iggy looks like he was "Dug Up" in that photo. He is dieing looking! A big smelly plate of stew would sort him out.​

God. Iggy looks like he was "Dug Up" in that photo. He is dieing looking! A big smelly plate of stew would sort him out.​
Iggy looks really good for someone aged 60 (not to mention that he hasn't led the healthiest of lives). If you don't like what he looks like now, well, he looked poretty much the same when he was young. Less wrinkley, but just as skinny.

Thanks for the link, Kewpie. I still tend to forget to check the main page. Maybe it's because the comments on the main page are as idiotic as ever... the forum looks like a fountain of wisdom in comparison. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't know about before vBulletin introduction (pre-2006), main page somehow is used as a barrier.
BTW, in April apparently more than 170,000 visited the site.
Considering the number it's not too bad.

Well, I don't know about before vBulletin introduction (pre-2006), main page somehow is used as a barrier.
BTW, in April apparently more than 170,000 visited the site.
Considering the number it's not too bad.
Yeah, but people on the main site have to take time and effort to register as well if they want to post.

Still, it's not as bad as it used to be.

The purpose of the mainboard is to give chances anonymous posters free to post instantly which inevitably have unwelcome/unpleasant stuff as well as some scoop.

There's no perfect website, yet Solo has been improved there's some hope.

Back
Top Bottom