The Guardian: Stewart Lee's 'Honest Playlist' - 'can no longer listen to' Morrissey (September 5, 2022)

Like Reverend Richard Coles a few months ago, Stewart Lee has nominated Morrissey for the artist/song he can no longer listen to in a Guardian questionnaire, citing his 'drift to the far right'.
www.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/05/stewart-lee-honest-playlist
It's a bit disappointing that someone as professionally obsessed with Morrissey as Lee was, doesn't mention Morrissey's clearly muddled/confused political outlook, and the (admittedly vague) support he's also given to non-right-wing figures in recent years. It's clearly the right-wing stuff that has stuck in people's minds.

Excerpt:

The song I can no longer listen to
Sadly, Morrissey. Loads of artists end up doing terrible things, but the Smiths meant such a lot to my generation, to have him drift to the far right doesn’t sit. I remember hearing How Soon Is Now when I went to see the Smiths at Birmingham Hippodrome and dancing to it at a disco in Tucson, Arizona in 1995. It’s hard to let go of my childhood attachment to the Smiths, but I don’t know how to square Morrissey’s solo stuff with what he’s become.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's pretty gross. His manager was asked about it and said Bruce is worth it. The artists can stop this dynamic ticket pricing, they are often the ones who request it, they set their own rates too. Crowded House made ticketmaster refund the difference between the face value and the actual ticket price charged a few years ago because they did not agree with this pricing. Springsteen can do the same, but he won't.

Like he needs the money. Props to Neil Finn for that though.

stooping to their level? I thought you were better than that? I guess not.
The irony of Morrissey fans crying about fat shaming in The Simpsons episode fat shaming someone who expresses an opinion. You know, the worst thing about Morrissey is his stupid fake fans. I absolutely loathe them.

The irony of Morrissey fans crying about fat shaming in The Simpsons episode fat shaming someone who expresses an opinion. You know, the worst thing about Morrissey is his stupid fake fans. I absolutely loathe them.
“Do as we say, not how we do” is their motto, @Johnnie Ray. For your faith in Moz to be seen as less than absolute and devout has your card being marked as a result and major consequence of this, you’ll see. Not what can be brushed aside as an lie ‘round these parts, eh? Why is this the case?
And the post by ‘The Vengeful Milkshake’ has been very much ignored/avoided by those not needing an introduction, it would seem. It’s as if they’re standing in front of a full-length mirror and detest what they see reflected back at them.
What’s the reasoning and logic behind this discomfort at a truth told applying to them and with them in mind? Hmmmmm…….

Last edited:
It's sad. Stewart Lee is, at his best, a true genius of comedy and one of so many thousands of creative people in the UK who made it through the grimness of the 80s at least partly because bands like The Smiths existed to show there was a better world out there, somewhere.

It's the decades old strength of that emotional connection which makes (some) fans feel so let down by Morrissey's utterances in recent years.
I think you need to reevaluate what genius means if you think SLs deck is comedy or funny he is crap beyond belief

Loser's lament. You sound like a five year old. I won't say I'm sowwwy, waaaaaahhhh! Good, then his career can remain in the toilet. I don't care. f*** it.
I'd hardly say his career is in the toilet.

But yeah, go online and bully and belittle anyone who stands up to your preachy virtue-signaling woke nonsense.

If anybody should apologize it should be you. To me. Because you're a dull c***.

Don’t know what you’re going on about there.

So I’ll repeat, you don’t need to stoop to their level, is all I’m saying.

And it's funny how most of those gangs are foreign or if they're white, they ape the rappers/drill "performers". And London is indeed a shithole for a multitude of reasons. Where did this explosion of knife crime come from? Out of thin air? Didn't happen to this level 40 yrs ago.
It's not an 'explosion of knife crime'. As I've already showed you, it's been caused mainly by a shift from using guns to knives.

As for aping rappers, that's a sizeable part of modern youth culture. They aren't all stabbing each other. The overwhelming majority of knife crime in London is gang-related. It's not rap/drill culture-related.

And I'm sorry but take it from me, London is still a fantastic place to live. If it was a shithole six million people would be fleeing for the shires. They're not. Listen to the people who live it every day, not those types who live outside London and hide their envy behind a dishonest 'you couldnt pay me to live there' attitude.

"Most of those gangs are foreign" - how can you possibly know that?

"or if they're white" - oh I see. By 'foreign' you mean 'black'. Maybe I was wrong about you. Maybe you aren't a victim of propaganda who can be reasoned back to reality. Maybe you really are just a hopeless thick racist after all.

There was a mini-riot in Oxford Street a few weeks ago - but it didn't even make the news, as it doesn't fit with the 'message' that London is one big happy diverse cultural melting pot.
I saw that story (with video footage) on the MailOnline. Which, given it's the most-read English language news website on the planet, I'd say counts as 'making the news'.

But you'll still go around convinced these things are being hushed up won't you? And people say 'lefties' are divorced from reality...

And it's funny how most of those gangs are foreign or if they're white, they ape the rappers/drill "performers". And London is indeed a shithole for a multitude of reasons. Where did this explosion of knife crime come from? Out of thin air? Didn't happen to this level 40 yrs ago.

It's not an 'explosion of knife crime'. As I've already showed you, it's been caused mainly by a shift from using guns to knives.

As for aping rappers, that's a sizeable part of modern youth culture. They aren't all stabbing each other. The overwhelming majority of knife crime in London is gang-related. It's not rap/drill culture-related.

And I'm sorry but take it from me, London is still a fantastic place to live. If it was a shithole six million people would be fleeing for the shires. They're not. Listen to the people who live it every day, not those types who live outside London and hide their envy behind a dishonest 'you couldnt pay me to live there' attitude.

"or if they're white" - oh I see. By 'foreign' you mean 'black'. Maybe I was wrong about you. Maybe you aren't a victim of propaganda who can be reasoned back to reality. Maybe you really are just a hopeless thick racist after all.

People weren't using guns like this 40 yrs ago...........even in London. And kids/men carrying knifes or weapons now because they're in fear of what could happen when they go into the street isn't normal. I've felt it myself. You're in denial.

And people are fleeing..........why else Is it that my area has become flooded with predominantly blacks out of London?

I saw that story (with video footage) on the MailOnline. Which, given it's the most-read English language news website on the planet, I'd say counts as 'making the news'.

But you'll still go around convinced these things are being hushed up won't you? And people say 'lefties' are divorced from reality...

You can add the newsagents terrorized by a group of black kids and a young white teenage girl beaten up to that list of enrichment.

If you live in London and haven't had a violent incident in your time......then i'd be very surprised. But it's not just London anymore......it's infested all towns/cities.

I don't like Stuart Lee, I find him condescending and smug. Which is also how imagine Morrissey to be in real life, hence how easy I find it to separate the art from the artist.

I really hope Morrissey apologies at some point and expresses regret for his Far Britain support and his ill thought comments about Kevin Spacey and Weinstein.
Lol he won’t and why should he!

People weren't using guns like this 40 yrs ago...........even in London. And kids/men carrying knifes or weapons now because they're in fear of what could happen when they go into the street isn't normal. I've felt it myself. You're in denial.

And people are fleeing..........why else Is it that my area has become flooded with predominantly blacks out of London?
glasgow and edinburgh are becoming the same,i dont mind anyone coming here but when the people who have stayed there since the 50s/60s/70s move out then it becomes a bit of a problem.

i did.
it was recorded a while back.
may 22nd,wasnt that long ago,he has either had liposuction or a good visual effects team has been busy slimming him down.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom