The Guardian: Johnny Marr - "You ask the questions" (February 6, 2022)

J'en ai marre?

Johnny Marr: ‘When I play Smiths songs I experience this huge wave of elation’

Particularly liked Bernard Butler's question...

Excerpt:
Did the Smiths ever fall out over football or politics?
Andy Burnham, mayor of Greater Manchester

We never discussed football so that’s that. And we never fell out over politics, but we probably would now.

Morrissey’s recent political views have cast a shadow over the Smiths for me – reaching back into the past and tainting something that was very important to me. I’m so disappointed in him. Has it impacted how you feel about the Smiths or are you able to separate the past from the present, the band from the man? I find it very difficult to do so.
Johnny Spence, Northern Ireland

It hasn’t impacted how I feel about the Smiths. That’s all I can say about that. I’m certainly able to separate the past from the present. I don’t know whether you can separate the band from the man, but I can separate myself from the man and what I did, so when I do see how disappointed people are, it really does make me sad. But it’s completely out of my control. And I can only really do what is in my control. So I play Smiths songs for reasons that I think are real. And over the years I’ve tried to take care of the catalogue and the releases as much as I was able to. As I would have done anyway. So, you know, I see it the way everybody else sees it. I don’t have any answers. And I don’t want to have any answers.

We have both had many casual musical flings but one very strong personal bond in our lives. How has your relationship with the wonderful Angie influenced your creativity, and does she have a favourite guitar?
Bernard Butler, musician

I’ll answer the easy bit first: Angie’s always loved Les Pauls. That’s to do with when we first met – she was 14 and I was 15. We were into Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, so she became bit of a Gibson fan. I’ve had a Gold Top guitar for 20-odd years and I think if I’ve ever got rid of that one, she’d leave me. The important thing I can say about my relationship with Angie is that she made me brave at 15, 16. Not only did Angie know me before everybody else knew me, but she knew me before I knew myself. She was there before the Smiths started: it was me and Angie. And then when that whole thing got together, it was me and Angie and Joe Moss [the late manager of the Smiths]. Not only was I with my soulmate, but I was with somebody who was very smart and very talented.

Johnny, out of 10 what would you give me for my turn as Mozzer on Celebrity Stars in Their Eyes? [Hill sang This Charming Man.] PS: if you and the fellas ever decide to regroup and his nibs won’t play ball, I still have the wig – and more importantly, the hearing aid.
Harry Hill, comedian

I sort of remember that. I’m going to have to give Harry a solid two out of 10 for that, and he can make of that what he will. As for the offer, I don’t even know what to make of that…!

Last edited by a moderator:
:lbf: Don't waste my time, he did not play this alone and Blossoms was one of the acts :rolleyes: I really hope he can play a venue like that with a bunch of other bands in his home town, the f***ing point here is that this was not a solo show, you don't even have a point. Get a life.

The point is he is playing to tens of thousands of appreciative fans. What's your point?

Amy, I don't agree with either this view or the post you yourself disagreed with. I don't think their Marr's songs, their Morrissey's. As has been discussed before on this forum, it's the vocal melody and the lyrics that define a song, until those are added it's just music. Marr created the music, Morrissey created the songs.

But let's accept there's an argument that he co-wrote them. Fine. Only what he's claiming here is indisputably, point-blank wrong - he didn't write the songs, he (at best) co-wrote them.

Of course, Marr's not stupid and he knows what he's doing. This is classic Marr, a bitchy, veiled dig at Morrissey wrapped up in an attempt to inflate his own contribution to the group.

He's surrounded by sycophants like the ones who contributed to this interview, and the media who court him, and he's incredibly rich so he can get away with absurd statements like saying he wrote the songs of The Smiths - absurd because his own solo work is testimony to the fact that he demonstrably wasn't the person who wrote/created the songs of The Smiths. The music, yes, but not the songs.

10 years from now, all of Marr's solo work will be languishing in whatever the digital equivalent is of the Woolworth's bargain bin. None of the songs he has written are going to stand the test of time, because they have desperately bad lyrics and unremarkable vocal melodies.
This is completely spot on, so well said:highfive:

To those latching on to Johnny's claim he wrote the songs, you have a good point. It's a talking point he wants out there, Aly and Ory say it constantly in the fan group they run.

The hair, seriously? And this is an indicator of what? Angie knows how to apply Miss Clairol to his overblown head?

Morrissey does not owe anyone an explanation for anything, this is a lefty talking point because they think they have some moral superiority and you owe them an explanation. If you bother to explain, they twist it. However, its not lost on me that Johnny once again distances himself from Morrissey politically, saying they would have a falling out about politics today. This is especially hilarious from someone who cannot articulate a thought, I would pay good money to see a political debate between Morrissey and Marr, Marr would get crushed.

As someone who lives in the US, I can tell you the Morrissey situation is not dire as some would like to believe. The anger toward Morrissey is not about politics, it started when he was canceling all those shows. People were paying for flights and hotel rooms, only to have the shows canceled. We later found out he was and continues to have health problems. Las Vegas is the concert capital of the US and he just did a residency there, he is fine. No one really sees him as a racist, the Hispanic population loves him. I know plenty of lefties who still listen to his music. We just aren't as precious about some things here as people in the UK are, I have friends in the UK and just reading their social media, I can see they and their friends get way more worked up about things than we do in the US, while simultaneously hating us and hoping we rescue them if some other country attacks them. I have literally had people from the UK ask me why Trump was not arrested for 'hate speech'. :lbf: Um, we don't do that here, you soft little child.

Why are all these interviewers blowing smoke up Marr's ass? He did not help form the sound of The Pretenders, he just played guitar. I saw the orginal band, he was not in it and the live show was great. Why is he given credit where doesn't deserve any? It's now gone beyond saying he wrote Smiths songs.

This is just bizarre.

The point is he is playing to tens of thousands of appreciative fans. What's your point?

I believe his point is, that Johnny could not pull that large of an audience by himself.

I believe his point is, that Johnny could not pull that large of an audience by himself.
Yes, Marr was not the headliner, Courteneers were. Johnny was just an opener, same status as Blossoms, and he played only 10 songs, mostly Smiths.
Exactly as I said, reduced to opener status, could never fill a gig like that solo.
(I am a she :))

Morrissey needs to categorically and on-record distance himself from right-wing politics once and for all.
He needs to make a very clear statement with words to the effect of 'in my life I've expressed admiration for a number of people from the full range of political spectrums both left and right, but I have these days become exclusively associated with the far-right. I would like to make it abundantly clear that I do not have far-right politics etc.' and ideally include a formal retraction of his support for Anne Waters and For Britain.
Until he does this he will forever be considered, however wrongly, as an intolerant far right w***er with horrible political views. The ball is in his court.
Ffs shut up about this now gone on far too long . Too much crap being said by hypocritical holy than thou wankers ie Johnny crap marr the insidious guardian paper and many many more

For the same reason I wouldn't get upset with my mother for calling me "daughter" without mentioning I have a Dad, too. It's just obvious and everyone knows it, it doesn't need to be said. Morrissey has previously said "Those songs are more mine than anyone else's", which is far more contentious to my ears. Johnny's comment isn't offensive unless you are seeking to be offended.
Well, if Marr has said that he doesn't relate to the Smiths' lyrics, than I guess Morrissey is right.

Yes, Marr was not the headliner, Courteneers were. Johnny was just an opener, same status as Blossoms, and he played only 10 songs, mostly Smiths.
Exactly as I said, reduced to opener status, could never fill a gig like that solo.
(I am a she :))

Has anyone ever said he could pull a crowd of that size at a solo gig? You may be right about the size of venues in the US but in the UK the venues he plays are anywhere between 1500 and 4000 depending on which town he is playing in.

Last edited:
"But I don’t think I need to claim anything, because I wrote them."

Honestly, how hard would it be to say "co-wrote" in a sentence like that?

It's like Axel Scheffler saying he "wrote" The Gruffalo. No, he provided the amazing background art on to which Julia Donaldson could work her genius with words. (I'm being serious!)

But he did write them. It isn't a lie. And after being attacked by so many after even mentioning Morrissey's name, and being asked to not mention the name by Morrissey himself is it really surprising he is avoiding mentioning him?

People really just can't win with you lot can they

I don't wish to get in the fight Morrissey vs Marr, just to chip in regarding this whole "opening act" debate: both Tom Jones and Cliff Richards opened for Morrissey. Still both are and will be remembered by far more people than M, so...

To those latching on to Johnny's claim he wrote the songs, you have a good point. It's a talking point he wants out there, Aly and Ory say it constantly in the fan group they run.

The hair, seriously? And this is an indicator of what? Angie knows how to apply Miss Clairol to his overblown head?

Morrissey does not owe anyone an explanation for anything, this is a lefty talking point because they think they have some moral superiority and you owe them an explanation. If you bother to explain, they twist it. However, its not lost on me that Johnny once again distances himself from Morrissey politically, saying they would have a falling out about politics today. This is especially hilarious from someone who cannot articulate a thought, I would pay good money to see a political debate between Morrissey and Marr, Marr would get crushed.

As someone who lives in the US, I can tell you the Morrissey situation is not dire as some would like to believe. The anger toward Morrissey is not about politics, it started when he was canceling all those shows. People were paying for flights and hotel rooms, only to have the shows canceled. We later found out he was and continues to have health problems. Las Vegas is the concert capital of the US and he just did a residency there, he is fine. No one really sees him as a racist, the Hispanic population loves him. I know plenty of lefties who still listen to his music. We just aren't as precious about some things here as people in the UK are, I have friends in the UK and just reading their social media, I can see they and their friends get way more worked up about things than we do in the US, while simultaneously hating us and hoping we rescue them if some other country attacks them. I have literally had people from the UK ask me why Trump was not arrested for 'hate speech'. :lbf: Um, we don't do that here, you soft little child.

Why are all these interviewers blowing smoke up Marr's ass? He did not help form the sound of The Pretenders, he just played guitar. I saw the orginal band, he was not in it and the live show was great. Why is he given credit where doesn't deserve any? It's now gone beyond saying he wrote Smiths songs.

This is just bizarre.

I think you may need to look a little closer at the actual figures for ticket sales, and record sales and you will see the problem is very much global including in the US and the whole of Europe.

I know lots of people in the US who no longer follow Morrissey. You may like to put yourself in some elitist bubble where everyone else is just a "soft little child" but it doesnt reflect reality.

It is bizarre that when JM mentions Morrissey he gets attacked by people including by Morrissey asking him not to mention his name and when he doesn't mention him he equally gets attacked.

Bizarre people

Did you look at the stats for Morrissey's last "tour" and I use the word tour very lightly?

The Feb 2018 tour sold fairly well, I went to the Birmingham gig and it was 9o% full but his comments re Anne Marie Waters caused a major drop off in support with the 2 Manchester shows cancelled after selling less than 4000 tickets out of the 16000. Pissed me off at the time as it would have been my youngest daughters first Morrissey gig.

The Feb 2018 tour sold fairly well, I went to the Birmingham gig and it was 9o% full but his comments re Anne Marie Waters caused a major drop off in support with the 2 Manchester shows cancelled after selling less than 4000 tickets out of the 16000. Pissed me off at the time as it would have been my youngest daughters first Morrissey gig.
I'd also like to say again. The Mercedes Benz Arena in Berlin can hold up to 17,000 visitors. Of course, you can curtain it off and make it smaller, which takes the atmosphere even more out of it. At the time of the cancellation in summer 2018, a little fraction of the tickets had been sold. In Cologne 2020, there were still 1.000 spectators. That's why: The Las Vegas shows and America are his artistic exile. There, where critical discord has always played no role and only stardom counts. Who was to blame again: Marr, Haslam, the mainstream media? We don't know for sure, but certainly not Morrissey himself.

:)

only 10 songs on the opening cvunteers set???:mad:
ONLY 10 SONGS????? what disgrace and most Moz songs!!!!
when the date was fist posted he never mentioned it was an
opening set he figured his weak minded followers thought he was going to be the only act in the stadium:lbf:
a 10 song stadium set:lbf:
LePepe would set his wig on fire to have a Vegas residency like
Moz has:lbf:

🇭🇷>:hammer:

I'd also like to say again. The Mercedes Benz Arena in Berlin can hold up to 17,000 visitors. Of course, you can curtain it off and make it smaller, which takes the atmosphere even more out of it. At the time of the cancellation in summer 2018, a little fraction of the tickets had been sold. In Cologne 2020, there were still 1.000 spectators. That's why: The Las Vegas shows and America are his artistic exile. There, where critical discord has always played no role and only stardom counts. Who was to blame again: Marr, Haslam, the mainstream media? We don't know for sure, but certainly not Morrissey himself.

I assume this line is a joke:

"but certainly not Morrissey himself"

:rolleyes:

that sounds reasonable>there where critical discord has always played no tole (WTF critical discord has always played NO role...fredo territory here..) and only stardom counts..who is to blame for this no discord stardom? marr salaam and the mainstream media? we dont know for sure. :crazy: (you can say that again) but certainly not Morrissey himself:crazy: ( agree Moz wouldnt be able decipher this insanity)

:crazy:

🇭🇷>:hammer:

:)

can you imagine LePep and Pep Jr having a Vegas residency. there wouldnt be enough blogs and podcasts to give unsolicited interviews to:blushing:

Riiiingggg:blacktelephone:

Yes? Hale Daily News can I assist you?

We did it we DID IT WE GOT A VEGAS RESIDENCY!!! FINALLY WE DO SOMETHING!!!

excuse me? who is this?

Johnny Marr management from the CrazyFace toona saloona studio.
put the information in the newspaper at once:swear

o no not you again.:blushing:

listen here you Fing twat....

CLONK (call over)

:hammer:

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom