The Great Escape: The Best Blur Album?

i liked 'country house' when it first came out, those years were a strange period for the band...
i remember damon and dave performing at s. remo festival in italy, with a roadie and a cardboard cut-out of graham! i was quite sure it meant the end of blur, i was wrong...
btw, my personal favourite is...

'modern life is rubbish'

Last edited:
Interesting.

I think the album is wrongly denigrated although I'm not sure if I would say it was the best Blur album (if forced into a decision I'd actually say 'Blur' was the best one).

The run of tracks on the second side (yep, it's one of those albums I still think as being two sided!) is especially good. In many ways that Side Two of 'The Great Escape' encapsulates the mid 90's far more accurately than 'Parklife' did.

Nope, always been Parklife for me . TGE has some of my fave Blur tunes (Globe Alone, Country House, Universal, Charmless Man) but also a handful that I didn't really care for at all. I remember being a tad disappointed and REALLY liking Morning Glory more when they came out. And I wasn't a big fan of Definitely Maybe, either.

My personal fave. Discuss.:)

The trouble with Blur albums is that they're always 4 or 5 songs too flipping long! Great Escape is no exception. There are several genius pop songs (Universal, Yuko, Charmless Man, He Thought of Cars, Could be You, Country House etc), 4 or 5 pretty good ones and then a load of bloody awful filler (Entertain Me, Dan Abormal, Globe Alone etc).

But Blur are a splendid group. They're easily the best band since The Smiths and Damon is a modern-day musical genius!

Back
Top Bottom