The Glamour Chase: The Maverick life of Billy Mackenzie

R

Ruffian

Just bought this book today.. I am told it is excellent.. Has anyone read it..?

..the byline in the sleeve reads..

"Billy Mackenzie was unique. Blessed with an extraordinary voice, which shifted effortlessly from bass blues to falsetto diva posturing, the Dundee-born Mackenzie fronted the Associates' early 80s series of archly literature, miraculously melodious hit singles and a classic album, Sulk. But the success collapsed, and saving a few scattered moments of genius, Mackenzie fell into obscurity. When news broke in January 1997 that he had killed himself days before his 40th birthday, most people had long forgotten he was alive..."

The Associates, the Smiths, Lloyd Cole, and the Housemartins were huge influences on my 80's alternative life style in music and dress code!! Apart from the flowers of course!

Billy Mackenzie/Morrissey connection

> Just bought this book today.. I am told it is excellent.. Has
> anyone read it..?

I read it a few years ago and it made me cry. It's a sad story about someone who squandered their talant. I think Associates are an incredibly underrated band - so different from any of theother post-punk bands of the time. "Sulk" is a work of genius. (I was too young for all this first time 'round, but picked up vinyl copies of Associates album in '97, shorty after Billy Mackenzie died.

There's some stuff about Morrissey in the book. Apparently "William it was really nothing" was about him. Billy wrote a song "Steven it rea;lly was something" some years later.

> The Associates, the Smiths, Lloyd Cole, and the Housemartins
> were huge influences on my 80's alternative life style in music
> and dress code!! Apart from the flowers of course!

What about Orange Juice? They're my favourite 80's band, alonside The Smiths. The world needs more OJ fans ....

> anyone read it..?

I bought it nearly two years ago to the week, on a trip to London. It's a very entertaining story, but very, very sad as well. But rewarding. Above all, it makes you want to go out and buy the records to listen to the voice again. And when you do, you think "what a waste".

More power to the OJ fans on the board.

TMF

woo-hoo ...Orange Juice

TMF - have you hears "Scottish Pop" on the new Spearmint album, "a different lifetime"? It namechecks Edwyn Collins, amongst other Scottish pop luminaries.

Just got "Elevation Days" - the Japanses CD of Edwyn's first two solo-singles on 'Elevation'. It's excellent.

It's a fantastic book, a great memorial to Britain's greatest male singer.

> anyone read it..?

> ..the byline in the sleeve reads..

> "Billy Mackenzie was unique. Blessed with an extraordinary
> voice, which shifted effortlessly from bass blues to falsetto
> diva posturing, the Dundee-born Mackenzie fronted the
> Associates' early 80s series of archly literature, miraculously
> melodious hit singles and a classic album, Sulk. But the success
> collapsed, and saving a few scattered moments of genius,
> Mackenzie fell into obscurity. When news broke in January 1997
> that he had killed himself days before his 40th birthday, most
> people had long forgotten he was alive..."

> The Associates, the Smiths, Lloyd Cole, and the Housemartins
> were huge influences on my 80's alternative life style in music
> and dress code!! Apart from the flowers of course!

Re: woo-hoo ...Orange Juice

> TMF - have you hears "Scottish Pop" on the new
> Spearmint album, "a different lifetime"? It namechecks
> Edwyn Collins, amongst other Scottish pop luminaries.
No, not heard this. Is it a musical tribute as well?

> Just got "Elevation Days" - the Japanses CD of Edwyn's
> first two solo-singles on 'Elevation'. It's excellent.
What were these? "Don't Shilly Sally"?

More power to OJ and their fans!

TMF

http://www.btinternet.com/~birdpoo/orange.htm

> No, not heard this. Is it a musical tribute as well?

"Scottish Pop" is basically a song about how being in love is like listening to Scottish pop. It's very good. It namechecks Edwyn, Stuart Murdoch, Nectarine #9, some of the guys from Teenage Fanclub, Stephen Pastel, The Secret Goldfish etc. The album, "A Different Lifetime" is excellent. Another song, "Julie Christie!" has the line 'we took the essence of Felt and Vic Goddard'. Musically, Spearmint are very much indie of the 1982-1986 school. Killer hooks, jangly guitars, smart lyrics. I read one review which said Spearmint were "like a Postcard band", which was what made me buy the album. Plus Ruffian's recommendation did no harm, he's always on the money with good bands.

> What were these? "Don't Shilly Sally"?

Yep, "Don't Shilly Shally" and "My Beloved Girl". It's a six-track mini-album, with the two a-sides and 4 b-sides, and clocks in around 26 minutes. If you'd like me to burn you a copy, send me an email (just click on my profile .... my address is on my profile page) and I'll get on to it.

> More power to OJ and their fans!

Right on!

StH

Spearmint eh? Must admit I've never heard of them, but I fancy a purchase is on the cards. Is this LP available in the UK? Any band with a song about Julie Christie have to be a good thing!

> Yep, "Don't Shilly Shally" and "My Beloved
> Girl". It's a six-track mini-album, with the two a-sides
> and 4 b-sides, and clocks in around 26 minutes. If you'd like me
> to burn you a copy, send me an email (just click on my profile
> .... my address is on my profile page) and I'll get on to it.

Hmm... Tempting... Are you UK?

TMF

> Spearmint eh? Must admit I've never heard of them, but I fancy a
> purchase is on the cards. Is this LP available in the UK? Any
> band with a song about Julie Christie have to be a good thing!

Yup. They're an English band, and all their albums are released on their own hitBACK label. I got mine from amazon.co.uk. They have a good web site too. (http://www.spearmint.net/) Of their latest, Uncat said "album of the year if there is any justice".

> Hmm... Tempting... Are you UK?

No, New Zealand. But like I said, just drop me an email and I'll make you a copy. Always happy to help out another OJ fan.

Spearmint

Back
Top Bottom