Morrissey Central "THE GANG’S ALL GONE FROM DARK TO LIGHT LIKE LOST CHILDREN GO BECAUSE WE MUST DO” (December 30, 2022)

Pele-SS-4.jpg

vivienne-westwood-cultura-punk-collater.al-2-818x1024.jpg

Pele, above
Vivienne Westwood, below
RIP

See Condolences thread for other related comments.
FWD.

"My relentless obsession with British films of the '40s, '50s and '60s has had an overwhelming influence on everything I've ever written. The list of favorites could be endless: The Killing of Sister George (1969), It Always Rains on Sunday (1947), Poor Cow (1967), The Leather Boys (1963), Yield to the Night (1956), Flame in the Streets (1961), Spring and Port Wine (1970), Woman in a Dressing Gown (1957), The October Man (1947), Turn the Key Softly (1953), An Inspector Calls (1954), We Are the Lambeth Boys (1959), Victim (1961), Charlie Bubbles (1968), The Family Way (1966), A Kind of Loving (1962), To Sir with Love (1967), Oliver Twist (1948), Billy Liar (1963), Dance Hall (1950), The Ladykillers (1955). Modern films do not inspire me at all. I refuse to watch anything post-1971 because every story had been told by then."

Morrissey, 1993 - information courtesy of @davidt

Bowie and Morrissey clearly fell out after the 1995 Tour. Moz said a lot of nasty things about Bowie after that but later wanted to make up.
He asked the Bowie management to allow the image of them together to be used for the Playboys-reissue. When they refused he used the Rick Astley image instead. Then Bowie died.

It would have been inappropriate to jump the Bandwagon of national grief then. Morrissey has paid tribute since. ‘Music is eternity’ etc.
That to do with Rick Ashley is called 'Rickrolling' in internet meme culture (I guess most people know, but still). He also made Tony Visconti ask Bowie to duet on You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by The Righteous Brothers in 2005.
Regarding football, we also know he loved George Best.

Agreed. He may not be a die hard football fan, but he's shown more than a passing interest in the sport.

A photo from the Kill Uncle photo shoot:
View attachment 87449

Morrissey, wearing an Eric Cantona t-shirt:
View attachment 87436

Morrissey, in his Los Angeles home, pictured with a picture of Bobby Moore:
View attachment 87437

Morrissey, in the video for Spent The Day In Bed, with Joey Barton:
View attachment 87435

Morrissey with his cousin, Robbie Keane:
View attachment 87441

Morrissey in Italy, wearing a t-shirt adorned with SOCCER TEAM:
View attachment 87442
👍🏻⚽🐅

west ham.jpg

The significance of this t-shirt is 'BOY'S CLUB'. Not a support for West Ham per se but a nod to working class youth culture.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom