Morrissey Central "THE GANG’S ALL GONE FROM DARK TO LIGHT LIKE LOST CHILDREN GO BECAUSE WE MUST DO” (December 30, 2022)

Pele-SS-4.jpg

vivienne-westwood-cultura-punk-collater.al-2-818x1024.jpg

Pele, above
Vivienne Westwood, below
RIP

See Condolences thread for other related comments.
FWD.

I am fascinated by Morrissey's endless death notices / obituaries and the close eye he keeps on this stuff - I have often wondered if he follows the infamous Deathlist forum which is full of people with a similar morbid curiosity. Moz has had a fear of death ever since he was a child and it's not uncommon for people with those fears to develop obsessions with death, to the point of making lists and 'archiving' famous deaths and tragedies etc.

Here is his beautiful message for Janice Long, who died on Christmas Day last year.

AutoFellatio is a very well written book.

"Indeed, in the gabardine Manchester of the late 1970s and early 1980s, and living under a sky so perpetually opaque that you questioned whether you were living inside a Tupperware container, extinction had been seen off on so many fronts. Poverty, creeping mold and continual letterbox rejection: the idea of death was no longer a matter of dread but one of plain, biscuit-crumbed curiosity.
He may always rely on me to telegraph the news of a film star’s demise: ‘Deborah Kerr. Dead. 2.30AM Pacific Standard Time. A bit bland, I thought.’ And I can rely on him to consistently slide the abacus against my true age. It is an arrangement that one understands."

(That is the closest quote in the book matching discussion re: death).
'He' = Morrissey.
Regards,
FWD.

Agreed. He may not be a die hard football fan, but he's shown more than a passing interest in the sport.

A photo from the Kill Uncle photo shoot:
View attachment 87449

Morrissey, wearing an Eric Cantona t-shirt:
View attachment 87436

Morrissey, in his Los Angeles home, pictured with a picture of Bobby Moore:
View attachment 87437

Morrissey, in the video for Spent The Day In Bed, with Joey Barton:
View attachment 87435

Morrissey with his cousin, Robbie Keane:
View attachment 87441

Morrissey in Italy, wearing a t-shirt adorned with SOCCER TEAM:
View attachment 87442
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but Morrissey wore football tops at the conclusion of The Boxers Tour gigs. 1999 saw him in West Ham inspired tees. And The Cockney Rejects count as football obsessed Oi! band, surely?

We’ll Let you Know counts as a football song, kind of.

Morrissey’s footy credentials seem fairly solid, I’d say.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but Morrissey wore football tops at the conclusion of The Boxers Tour gigs. 1999 saw him in West Ham inspired tees. And The Cockney Rejects count as football obsessed Oi! band, surely?

We’ll Let you Know counts as a football song, kind of.

Morrissey’s footy credentials seem fairly solid, I’d say.
I immediately remember his quote about football merch: "...I once bought a Manchester United hat, which I think was 12 shillings, and somebody ran up behind me and pulled it off and just early ahead. I thought, 'It's a very cruel world, I'm not prepared for this'. And I decided to get my revenge on society" (from an interview in 1988).

I think, after this incident, Morrissey only wore merch to his performances, being sure that they wouldn’t pull off a T-shirt with the symbols of one or another football club there. Although it really is difficult to call him a football fan. Personally, it was a big surprise for me to see a photo where he is wearing a "WHU" T-shirt.

It was the Bowie one that seemed pretty mean spirited. I'm aware he's paid tribute to him in his own way since then, but to pay tribute to Pele and not Bowie, who he was once pals with, was just a bit f***in nasty.
yeah, and it only served to make himself look bad and very small, not bowie

It´s irrelevant if Moz is ´into´ football in a big way or not. Football is one of the huge success stories of working class culture - and it´s an example of how working class culture conquered the world. The same can be said for pop music. Although corporatisation has changed both beyond recognition. Of course football ´means´ something to Morrissey - you can´t grow up in Manchester and not have football mean something to you, whether that´s positive or negative or a bit of both.

A bit of trivia for you, Luxo. Richard Attenborough was on the board of Chelsea FC from 1969 to 1982 and became the club´s life president. He became a regular visitor to Stamford Bridge after training with the club´s players in the late 1940s in preparation for his role as ´Pinkie´ in ´Brighton Rock´.

It would be nice if someone could make a list of all the deaths Morrissey has ‘officially’ mourned on Central.

I had completely forgotten about the Maradona one for instance. George Michael? Prince?
He does seem to sometimes pass the ´biggies´ who die - Bowie being the obvious example - and mention the more obscure 60s film stars etc. that the mainstream often don´t mention. But not always. Olivia Newton-John, for example, got a Moz Central post. Another one from 2022 that comes to mind was Sidney Poitier. Again, clearly just posted to help his image. The movie To Sir, With Love obviously meant nothing to a young Morrissey.

62283_daab3fe97ff728fe5efe3c813040283c.jpeg

The 'political' may give it away? The aesthetics I think were really different.

Munich Air Disaster? And no, I never said he was a football fanatic, just that he liked the sports in his youth, hence the reference for Pele and not Messi, if he died. Did he reference Maradona?

What I dislike about your posts in this thread is that you choose to bitch and moan even when Morrissey is just paying tribute to two icons who died yesterday. Geez, show some basic humanity.
Basic pandering er humanity.

It was the Bowie one that seemed pretty mean spirited. I'm aware he's paid tribute to him in his own way since then, but to pay tribute to Pele and not Bowie, who he was once pals with, was just a bit f***in nasty.
As a big Bowie fan myself, I felt disappointed that he didn´t post something when Bowie died. But who knows. Was it pettiness / nastiness? Maybe he felt he had said enough in praise of Bowie over the years to make any statement redundant. Maybe, after also saying lots of bitchy things about Bowie, he didn´t want to be accused of being hypocritical - of ´jumping on the bandwagon´ to quote a post by you on this thread about another dead icon. Maybe he genuinely felt the loss too much to post something. Who knows.

Bowie and Morrissey clearly fell out after the 1995 Tour. Moz said a lot of nasty things about Bowie after that but later wanted to make up.
He asked the Bowie management to allow the image of them together to be used for the Playboys-reissue. When they refused he used the Rick Astley image instead. Then Bowie died.

It would have been inappropriate to jump the Bandwagon of national grief then. Morrissey has paid tribute since. ‘Music is eternity’ etc.

I hate seeing this stick on the caps lock, zero punctuation loving tenuous captions. Who is responsible for this. Sack them, family or no.

Morrissey paying tribute to Pele and not Terry Hall is not evidence that he is a depraved racist, you're just deranged.

He does seem to sometimes pass the ´biggies´ who die - Bowie being the obvious example - and mention the more obscure 60s film stars etc. that the mainstream often don´t mention. But not always. Olivia Newton-John, for example, got a Moz Central post. Another one from 2022 that comes to mind was Sidney Poitier. Again, clearly just posted to help his image. The movie To Sir, With Love obviously meant nothing to a young Morrissey.

62283_daab3fe97ff728fe5efe3c813040283c.jpeg

To Sir With Love must have meant something to him or he wouldn't have bothered referencing it in a photoshoot.

tumblr_lyn59x10v21r9i3hoo1_400.jpg

download.jpeg

Last edited:
"My relentless obsession with British films of the '40s, '50s and '60s has had an overwhelming influence on everything I've ever written. The list of favorites could be endless: The Killing of Sister George (1969), It Always Rains on Sunday (1947), Poor Cow (1967), The Leather Boys (1963), Yield to the Night (1956), Flame in the Streets (1961), Spring and Port Wine (1970), Woman in a Dressing Gown (1957), The October Man (1947), Turn the Key Softly (1953), An Inspector Calls (1954), We Are the Lambeth Boys (1959), Victim (1961), Charlie Bubbles (1968), The Family Way (1966), A Kind of Loving (1962), To Sir with Love (1967), Oliver Twist (1948), Billy Liar (1963), Dance Hall (1950), The Ladykillers (1955). Modern films do not inspire me at all. I refuse to watch anything post-1971 because every story had been told by then."

Morrissey, 1993 - information courtesy of @davidt

Why?? Just so bitter moaning idiots with nothing better to do can have a whinge about whose death was omitted. And what it shows about Morrissey.

You know they need very little excuse on here to have a go at him.
Yet more instances reinforcing the accuracy of the 'hateful online creche' moniker 🥱

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom