The Footy Thread

City 0 - 2 Arsenal. Unbelievable.

Arsenal, way to man the f*** up for once. Seems like it's been at least a decade since you last had any testicular fortitude.

Gary Neville had a message for City that irritated the hell out of Graeme Souness after the game which was classic viewing and poor Thierry Henry on his first day at his new job must have wondered what he got himself into.

Message from Neville to City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkMVscR5YOo

Chelsea away next for City!

WHAT A DAY!

I'm off to spend some money. I love this city.

dZLK5Te.jpg

P.

WHAT A DAY!

I'm off to spend some money. I love this city.

dZLK5Te.jpg

P.

That game not being on tv is a big scandal in itself but what an amazing day it was. I was happy to watch Boro at City in what must have been the most impressive display in any cup in many many years. Poor Boro caused that upset only for Bradford to steal most headlines in what must have been a real classic.

The 3 top sides in the Premier League all knocked out at home and on top of that Spurs were knocked out as well at home on time added on. This now opens up the door for the 3 former top sides in the shape of Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool and none of them will want to play Bradford or Middlesbrough now.

I still rate Boro's win the most shocking one because Bradford have shown us before what a great cup side they are. There is no doubt though that Boro deserved to win at City and how they did not secure the win earlier on with all the chances they had I will never know. Any real football fan will want to see the highlights of that game tonight because that was real cup football and it showed that football don't have to be a robotic predictable affair that we have seen too much of in later years.

Is this what the kids do for fun in England? Lads, mates, whatever...

Last edited by a moderator:
Rangers v Celtic this weekend. Let's hope the Rangers players can go out there and justify their astronomical wages.

And i'm a Rangers fan!

Rangers v Celtic this weekend. Let's hope the Rangers players can go out there and justify their astronomical wages.

And i'm a Rangers fan!

Any serious football fan out there must have missed this game for many years now so it is absolutely brilliant it is on again. However, it seems the weather might be a big threat this so fingers crossed. As swedes tend to thrive in this game for Celtic maybe Guidetti will score the winner?

Mad props to the fellas at Tacos Mexico on 7th Street who not only supplied me with drunk quesadilla tonight, helped me clean up my bloody face after the concrete punched me after last Moz show, allowed Barney to linger in their store while I conducted drunk ATM transaction, but who are a group of carnitas-slinging, (shame) Manchester United Fans mystified by the weird lady just trying to order a meatless cheese and tortilla combo w a large Dr Pepper. Good people. Who hate Chelsea.

Since 1975. Viva Man U!

(I gave Barney my beans bc I have a sneaking suspicion there's lard in them.)

Last edited:
Was at the Bridge today. Man City fans are so quiet! They rarely fill their soulless stadium anyway. We were lucky to get a point today.

Was at the Bridge today. Man City fans are so quiet! They rarely fill their soulless stadium anyway. We were lucky to get a point today.

A very dull game as usual when those two play and they might as well field 22 robots between them and turn it into football robot wars. Very predictable score as none of them really dared to go for the winner although City seemed more eager at the end. I think that result means that Chelsea have managed to blow their title chances away twice now this season and with last season in mind and it being 5 years since they last won it I reckon their fans will find it hard to deal with.

If Spurs do not repeat the 2008 Carling win over Chelsea then they must kick themselves because the feeling of the two clubs when it comes to form could not be any different at the moment but of course the final is at the end of this month so much can happen.

stuart-pearce-celeb-victory-nottingham-forest-derby-county-championship-ben_3252800.jpg

So long Stuart. I wonder if those "footballers" at Forest will suddenly discover how to play again after getting the sixth manager in two years fired.

stuart-pearce-celeb-victory-nottingham-forest-derby-county-championship-ben_3252800.jpg

So long Stuart. I wonder if those "footballers" at Forest will suddenly discover how to play again after getting the sixth manager in two years fired.

They'll do fine now Dougie Freedman's there, if you ignore the fact he would have relegated Bolton from the Conference had they not got rid of him. (by mutual consent of course).

Brenda Rodgers the Liverpool manager needs a new coat. That Barbour imitation must have done its job by now. Please donate generously!

I remember his last game as manager. I was at Leeds and they lost 3-0 at home to QPR that day. Cloughie in his green shirt and alco-ridden face waved farewell at The City Ground. The day after Aston Villa lost at home to Oldham with me present and Man United were PL champions for the first time in what was the start on a new era.

I always felt Cloughie's approach to the game was very old style and quite simple. It wasn't attractive to watch in any way shape or form. His witty side was never seen in connection with the games but the film about him showed that side very well. What made him a winner and then a loser towards the end was his constant need to beat something or someone he could never beat which must have been himself and his demons.

Fascinating that on his last day as manager I was at Elland Road which of course was the stage for the film about him and the place for his biggest failure and somehow most humans tend to view that when someone passes away rather than applaud the glory which is sad.

I remember his last game as manager. I was at Leeds and they lost 3-0 at home to QPR that day. Cloughie in his green shirt and alco-ridden face waved farewell at The City Ground. The day after Aston Villa lost at home to Oldham with me present and Man United were PL champions for the first time in what was the start on a new era.

I always felt Cloughie's approach to the game was very old style and quite simple. It wasn't attractive to watch in any way shape or form. His witty side was never seen in connection with the games but the film about him showed that side very well. What made him a winner and then a loser towards the end was his constant need to beat something or someone he could never beat which must have been himself and his demons.

Fascinating that on his last day as manager I was at Elland Road which of course was the stage for the film about him and the place for his biggest failure and somehow most humans tend to view that when someone passes away rather than applaud the glory which is sad.

*I correct myself, it was his last home game as manager. Back in the coach radio was on and reporter describing the scenes as he waved farewell to the home fans.

*I correct myself, it was his last home game as manager. Back in the coach radio was on and reporter describing the scenes as he waved farewell to the home fans.

You should correct yourself again as his last game was away to Ipswich, the last home game was against Sheffield United.

I understand why you didn't enjoy his style of play.

You should correct yourself again as his last game was away to Ipswich, the last home game was against Sheffield United.

I understand why you didn't enjoy his style of play.

This is very weird indeed as I remember coming back to the coach after the Leeds-QPR game and radio going on about Cloughie. Maybe he had announced his retirement before that game?

I remember media going on and on about it that day. Yeah, Cloughie loved beating United with his very methodical style of play and I remember a lot of people in the media also not being very fond of his style. He really represented the old english style of play that died out in the 90's.

I was also at Wembley for the League Cup final in 1992 when McClair scored the only goal to yet again stop Clough from getting his hands on anymore silverware.

Thanks for the links to those games and not long ago I watched them myself as they were live on tv then and what is great with famous defeats is how they tend to make winning feel even better cause without them you'd feel nothing. Clough was always really fired up for the games against United and maybe he did not manage to fire up his side in the same way against other sides. That is a thing we have seen in recent years with the likes of Everton and West Ham and even Newcastle being the prime examples.

Weird how Notts Forest always failed in their last cup finals and defence was always their strong point as I also remember being at Highbury for a goalless draw in 1987 when Des Walker had a fantastic game and he was of course a wonderful defender of his time. 1990 and Forest makes me remember how we drew them in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and as we were doomed at the time everyone thought we were going to get knocked out only for us to knock out Forest away and go all the way to win it and save Fergie's job.

If you wanna look at football lessons then look no further than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPr3ieHSkpY

I think I have the answer to this mystery about Clough and why the media was going on about him. Forest were of course heading for relegation and at the time the rumours about him leaving the game were in full bloom. I think the reason for all the coverage that day was the fact that we all waited for an announcement from him. BBC radio had a reporter at the ground reporting about him and the scenes there and the report lasted for longer than usual.

As a fan I am sure you can fill me in.

This is very weird indeed as I remember coming back to the coach after the Leeds-QPR game and radio going on about Cloughie. Maybe he had announced his retirement before that game?

I remember media going on and on about it that day. Yeah, Cloughie loved beating United with his very methodical style of play and I remember a lot of people in the media also not being very fond of his style. He really represented the old english style of play that died out in the 90's.

I was also at Wembley for the League Cup final in 1992 when McClair scored the only goal to yet again stop Clough from getting his hands on anymore silverware.

Thanks for the links to those games and not long ago I watched them myself as they were live on tv then and what is great with famous defeats is how they tend to make winning feel even better cause without them you'd feel nothing. Clough was always really fired up for the games against United and maybe he did not manage to fire up his side in the same way against other sides. That is a thing we have seen in recent years with the likes of Everton and West Ham and even Newcastle being the prime examples.

Weird how Notts Forest always failed in their last cup finals and defence was always their strong point as I also remember being at Highbury for a goalless draw in 1987 when Des Walker had a fantastic game and he was of course a wonderful defender of his time. 1990 and Forest makes me remember how we drew them in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and as we were doomed at the time everyone thought we were going to get knocked out only for us to knock out Forest away and go all the way to win it and save Fergie's job.

If you wanna look at football lessons then look no further than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPr3ieHSkpY

I never understood why football talk with you always descends into you getting bitter. Your team has won more than any other yet you're still bitter, why?

Clough won 3 League titles with fringe clubs, 2 European Cups, probably would have been two other European trophies were it not for crooked refs and four League Cups along with a few other things like beating Barca for the European Super Cup. Not bad.

He's up there with Shankly, Busby, Ferguson and Paisley. Nobody else comes close in English football. I'm sure you only acknowledge Ferguson and Busby though.

You should learn to enjoy your football more instead of getting pissed off at things that only exist in your head. Great football people are great football people, enjoy them instead of acting all hurt because somebody who wasn't at Man U won something.

Back
Top Bottom