The Fall - any fans???

Peanut1971

I am Not Naturally Evil
I've gone absolutely Fall "mad" lately; what a great band AND what a great back-catalogue!? My favourite Fall albums are:
- Bend Sinister.
- The Wonderful & Frightening World of The Fall.
- Nation's Saving Grace.
- Hex Enduction Hour.

AND of course the "Complete Peel Sessions" CD box set! What a gem!

Any other Fall fans out there???

Yep there are a lot of Fall fans on Solo including me and don't mind the United fan from Salford cause that place is full of shit and is easily the worst place on earth and he's into Jeff Buckley so imagine what the inside of his ears look like.

Actually never seen you post on here before!! Normally only have the pleasure of speaking to you in chat! :D

It has taken me years to "get" The Fall....but once you do, there's no going back! Their entire back catalogue is fascinating....my favourites are the albums on Beggars Banquet label, especially "The Wonderful & Frightening World of The Fall".

Its a way of life.

Get the Peel Sessions 6CD boxset..... best release of the last decade.

I was looking for a decent bootleg of jeff Buckley at Glastonbury 1995 and found this thread...

The Weird & wonderful World indeed, I FEEL VOXISH

I used to be a big fan in the late 80s and 90s. More recently I started to listen to these records again and really liked it. I may purchase some of their newer stuff in the near future. Any recommendations?

i also love The Fall. Been aware of them since the late 1980s..Only have two of their cds...A Sides and Northern Attitude. But hey, for some 'Merican Yank, ain't that kinda impressive??

I've gone absolutely Fall "mad" lately; what a great band AND what a great back-catalogue!? My favourite Fall albums are:
- Bend Sinister.
- The Wonderful & Frightening World of The Fall.
- Nation's Saving Grace.
- Hex Enduction Hour.

AND of course the "Complete Peel Sessions" CD box set! What a gem!

Any other Fall fans out there???

Yes - vintage Fall anyway. Mark's been an embarrassment to his younger self for going on two decades, but the surreal-paranoid poetics and hi-tension edge-of-chaos sonics of 1977-82 Fall will never date. And the (first) Brix era has its moments too.

I got most of their stuff starting with 'frightening world of' back in mid 80's. Love their 90's stuff too. Lot's of gems scattered about each lp. MES is a very hit and miss performer as most of you know. Upsets me that I never saw them...

I used to be a big fan in the late 80s and 90s. More recently I started to listen to these records again and really liked it. I may purchase some of their newer stuff in the near future. Any recommendations?
As a Fall obsessive, I am unable to give an objective reply. Try it ALL :thumb:

P.S. the new album is supposedly being released September/October. Been spending a lot of time on the Fall forum recently hoovering up any new info.

Going to buy Mojo tomorrow if I can't find it online anywhere, there's a sizeable article/interview with MES & co about the new record, I hear tell...

P.S. the new album is supposedly being released September/October. Been spending a lot of time on the Fall forum recently hoovering up any new info.

Going to buy Mojo tomorrow if I can't find it online anywhere, there's a sizeable article/interview with MES & co about the new record, I hear tell...

Cool, thanks for letting us know, I never buy Mojo (always comes across as the shit Q didn't want) but will next time I'm in town.

You all know Frank Skinner plays the Fall every Saturday morning on his Absolute Radio show, yeah? I highly recommend the podcast.

Any recommendations?

My own favourite Fall album is Shiftwork from 1991. It was a brilliant run of albums from Extricate in 1990 to The Infotainment Scan in 1993. I also think that the trio of The Real New Fall LP (2003), Fall Heads Roll (2005) and Reformation Post TLC (2007) are up there with the best of the back catalogue. This summer I've also been listening a lot to Cherry Red's reissue of The Marshall Suite, originally from 1999, another classic Fall album. Needless to say there's also the classic Beggars Banquet mid-80s period (This Nation's Saving Grace is a must hear) and and the earlier 80s albums. An amazing band.

My own favourite Fall album is Shiftwork from 1991. It was a brilliant run of albums from Extricate in 1990 to The Infotainment Scan in 1993. I also think that the trio of The Real New Fall LP (2003), Fall Heads Roll (2005) and Reformation Post TLC (2007) are up there with the best of the back catalogue. This summer I've also been listening a lot to Cherry Red's reissue of The Marshall Suite, originally from 1999, another classic Fall album. Needless to say there's also the classic Beggars Banquet mid-80s period (This Nation's Saving Grace is a must hear) and and the earlier 80s albums. An amazing band.

I absolutely agree with all the 80s and early 90s albums. I will check your recommendations as far as 2000s are concerned. Thanks!

I think the adjectives used in that one paragraph tell you a lot of what you need to know :D

P.S., the article is now available to read:

http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/thefall/index.php?showtopic=30990&view=findpost&p=12051434

Personally, I've a strong preference for the first a part of their career - up to and including Perverted by Language. The subsequent stuff isn't nearly as inventive or interesting to my mind (although admittedly I still have gaps in my knowledge of it). Not easy to name their best album, but to me it comes down to PbL, Hex Enduction Hour or Live at the Witch Trials.

Some of the songs that define them, to me: Industrial Estate, No Xmas for John Quays, Last Orders, Put Away (Peel Session version), Iceland, The Man Whose Head Expanded, Smile, Deer Park.

The great Fall test song:Eat Y'self Fitter (off Perverted by Language). If that sounds anything other than a gruelling combination of pointless and enervating to you, then I think you can probably claim to have reached some sort of real appreciation ofThe Fall. Or had your good sense ruined by them, it's hard to tell. :)

Last edited:
The great Fall test song:Eat Y'self Fitter (off Perverted by Language). If that sounds anything other than a gruelling combination of pointless and enervating to you, then I think you can probably claim to have reached some sort of real appreciation ofThe Fall. Or had your good sense ruined by them, it's hard to tell. :)

Actually probably the first Fall song I fell in love with. It may be down to the 'gaps in your knowledge', but there are much more testing songs than EYF. I'm not going to post any link as I realise this opinion i entirely subjective. :)

Back
Top Bottom