The existential philosophy behind "People are the Same Everywhere" - Pop Music Explained

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Popmusicexplained, Sep 18, 2019.

By Popmusicexplained on Sep 18, 2019 at 6:21 AM
  1. Hi everyone

It’s been so long since I posted on here that I can’t remember my login details! But I do still follow the page via Facebook.

I’m a local journalist and in my spare time I write essays about the meanings behind pop lyrics.

The latest one is about the existential philosophy behind People are the Same Everywhere.

It seems like Morrissey was interested in the ideas of Heidegger during the writing period preceding 2011...

The blog is easy to read and accessible for anyone - hope you like it

https://www.popmusicexplained.com/blog/morrissey-people-are-the-same-everywhere

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Popmusicexplained, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Wobble
      Wobble
      I can't help but to feel that you haven't read too much of the later Heidegger. He resigned from his rectorship in 1934 as he was disappointed in nazism, and although he remained an inactive member of the party, he made some thoroughly critical remarks on the movement in his "Introdiction to Metaphysics" lectures. Saying that he was an enthusiastic supporter doesn't sound right.

It also seems to me that his notion of a herd, or the "everyman" - something that should be overcome - doesn't refer to a "sameness" in Morrissey's sense which seems more like a cultural notion?

Thanks