The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
Looks like you dodged a bullet 🔫
Did you get anything fancy ?
Two records, as mentioned above. John Coltrane and one by the Everly Brothers. the Everly Bro has already been sold to a vendour on a flea market with 11 other records from my mother's basement and stuff I bought but didn't like in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
ys2 - Kopie.jpg

"This is Morrissey" arrived here, after what feels like two years or so. Couldn't find the yellow vinyl. Does it even exist? Why yellow?

With regard to the underlying flow of the musical arrangement and the choice of songs, this is my favourite compilation. I remember that it was released at a time when the media and other "outlets" tried to construe a very one-sided Morrissey image in their endeavour to morally elevate themselves, because they knew that nobody would point a finger at their own moral transgressions. so, I assume the stress in the title is on "This".

ys5 (2) - Kopie.jpg

There is a Fiona Dodwell comment in French on the back. Was she already known back then?

ys3 - Kopie.jpg
e

That's a good mix of well-known and lesser-known songs, the whole thing feels like a live album. Actually, I find it livelier than many live albums.

Glad to see that Satellite has made it on there. Have only listened to the A-Side several times today, and I am surprised that the Mael Mix of Suedehead sounds much better when it is preceded by the other five songs. The new location is the song's curation.

ys4 - Kopie.jpg

The "This is Morrissey" arrived here, after what feels like two years or so. Couldn't find the yellow vinyl. Does it even exist? Why yellow?

With regard to the underlying flow of the musical arrangement and the choice of songs, this is my favourite compilation. I remember that it was released at a time when the media and other "outlets" tried to construe a very one-sided Morrissey image in their endeavour to morally elevate themselves, because they knew that nobody would point a finger at their own moral transgressions.

View attachment 80757

There is a Fiona Dodwell comment in French on the back. Was she already known back then?

View attachment 80758e

That's a good mix of well-known and lesser-known songs, the whole thing feels like a live album. Actually, I find it livelier than many live albums.

Glad to see that Satellite has made it on there. Have only listened to the A-Side several times today, and I am surprised that the Mael Mix of Suedehead sounds much better when it is preceded by the other five songs. The new location is the song's curation.

View attachment 80759

Gonna have to give this one another listen.
Didn't really pay attention when it came out.

Gonna have to give this one another listen.
Didn't really pay attention when it came out.
Quality of the packaging is top-notch. Not sure though if the inner sleeve is actually antistatic. I'm very happy with the whole thing.

The "This is Morrissey" arrived here, after what feels like two years or so. Couldn't find the yellow vinyl. Does it even exist? Why yellow?

With regard to the underlying flow of the musical arrangement and the choice of songs, this is my favourite compilation. I remember that it was released at a time when the media and other "outlets" tried to construe a very one-sided Morrissey image in their endeavour to morally elevate themselves, because they knew that nobody would point a finger at their own moral transgressions.

View attachment 80757

View attachment 80758e

View attachment 80759
I’ve never seen the yellow one in my life. I’d pay a pretty pound or two for it though, should one exist. I think that’s number 1 on my want list

Pinch of salt.
I believe there was meant to be an "indies only" version in yellow.
I suspect the person putting it on discogs was a bit premature!?
Never seen one either & I had every format of this release I believed available.
Unless this is one of those weird Australian Parlophone things or until I see an image (not likely with 'never sold' on discogs), it is more likely wishful thinking.
Happy to be wrong.
FWD.

Has "Sweet and Tender Hooligan" been released on any other Morrissey vinyl release besides "Interesting Drug", I wonder?

Has "Sweet and Tender Hooligan" been released on any other Morrissey vinyl release besides "Interesting Drug", I wonder?

I don't think so if you mean specifically under "Morrissey" as a solo artist. Other than on "Louder Than Bombs" it appears on these Smiths releases:

Last edited:
I don't think so if you mean specifically under "Morrissey" as a solo artist. Other than on "Louder Than Bombs" it appears on these Smiths releases:

Thank you. Strangely enough, i was sure that i had listened to this song at home in an analogue way, but then I couldn't find it anymore the other day when i was looking for it. I was mistaken, i guess.

While suffering from brain fog due to excessive yoga detoxing, i was listening to some old and new recs today.
brain fog101.png

In the morning, i was listening to Love, forever changes, which is a good rec to start the day, because of all the sun being conserved in the grooves.
The historic context that it has gained throughout the decades after its release, makes it even more interesting.
There is one song on the b-side, the good humor man he sees everything like this, which is more or less a country song, a faint sceptical echo of the hippies' wish to escape to the rural areas as the summer of love was petering out, leaving behind a doomed wreckage of human distress and squalor...

...which made me pull out the Everly Brothers and Nicole Atkins.

(End of part 1 - to be continued? We'll see. My senior cat is in a old age delirium again and needs supervision.)

3exp - Kopie.JPG

I was listening to these albums recently. Here are some personal listening experiences.

California Sun is my favourite of the three, it hasn't always been that way, but a week or so ago, I kind of ended up on a new lane of appreciation for it, after having been listening to Love's 1967 Forever Changes, which might have set the course, and the mild temperatures that we have been enjoying here for a while now, warm breezes flowing into the living room, leaves rustling outside on the trees.

From the first song to the last, the emanated vibes on California Sun are comfortable and placid.
The struggles and conflicts in the songs are delivered in a steadily flowing storytelling way, something you wanna listen to when winding down after a long exhausting journey back home, but the stories which are told are interesting enough to wrap your mind around it. For me, it's their historical dimension which is most interesting. They do not incite you to draw a parallel to the present, which I like, coz in these moments any such mental exercises would unhinge a long-awaited equanimity.

Probably this sounds pretty lame for some people, but I actually like this state of serenity once in a while.

In comparison to CS, I personally find Vauxhall and I less satisfying. This album is a purring cat sitting on your lap. The melodies are all nice and lovely, beautiful even, but after a while I notice that I would like to hear a screetching electric guitar for a change and experience some excitement. The high degree of familiarity with most of the songs on this album is adding up to a sense of stagnation while listening. It's a fine purring album, a crowd pleaser, but for me California Sun offers another, higher level of gratification. When I listen to Vauxhall, I usually listen only once, enjoy it, but then I pull out another album afterwards to get some action. To CS I can listen all day long and not get tired of it.

Low in High School is another album that shows the best results when your mind is open and ready to let the music unfold. It takes place in the iron belly of a steamship (Israel?), especially the A-Side. The opener is declamatory, like some national symbols are, and it makes you wonder whether this ship is attacking, fleeing or drowning. After having been listening to Vauxhall, I thought that the A-Side on LIHS was able to answer a probing craving for excitement. I thought that the A- and B-Side are both about creating a mental setting or imaginary place in which the music can be staged. It's truly a Jewish album, maybe dedicated to his Isreali patron of the Arts, and does this idea make us jealous? It probably does, deservedly.

I do like this, i do like that. This is great, that is good, even brilliant, this is not so good, don't like that, how wonderful, magnificent, truly shocking.

Alright, so much for now.

I am in possession of a relatively clear head today. i mostly attribute this fact to some frozen vinyl i got out of the freezer and fridge again, to bring down temperatures, as we had 37 degrees celcius yesterday.

Some might argue that this is rather hot than cold, hahaha 😅😂🤣😆🤪, but anyway. :snowman:
1a - Kopie.JPG

I think i've said it before but the Attack records are defo his most stylish and robust releases when it comes to their outward appearance. Musically, i have really grown fond of the Ringleader of the Tormentors songs over the years, not all of 'em, but more than in the early years of our acquintance, especially the wailing, melodramatic songs on the album. But when you compare Ringleader to Years of Refusal, i would say that the latter has the better cooling capacity.

3a - Kopie.JPG

Tomita's Snowflakes is defo the most chilling piece i had in the freezer. This is the latest 2022 reissue by Music on Vinyl of the 1974 original release, all limited and numbered in Snow-White. And it looks really pretty with its red label and the white marbled vinyl colour. There hadn't been any vinyl re-release of this masterpiece since 1983, besides an obscure 1988 Australian one.

Unfortunately, this is not a quiet pressing, or let's say, in some crucial moments of silence, it's not, and there is nothing more annoying than a crackling fireplace atmosphere inbetween icy syntheziser sounds. Just makes you wanna throw up. I got an original 1976 US pressing of the Planets, and it is horrible. Same with "Tangerine Dream" LPs from back then. I am more or less convinced that this sort of music is better suited for digital consumption, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

To continue with my Summer edition, I pulled out the Cannonball Adderley Quintet from the fridge this morning.

8a - Kopie.JPG

This is a 2018 reissue on Jazz Images of the 1960 original release, all audiophile, legendary, deluxe, et approuvé on 180gr. Mastering is from digital, but I have no complaints sound-wise, it's actually great.
1656776293943.png

The William Claxton Collection is a series on the above-mentioned label. He took lots of photos of jazz musicians and Hollywood actors, like Steve McQueen. These are from 1963...and 1964, respectively:
1656776694716.png
1656776769683.png

1656776837482.png
1656776880273.png

Quite love these photos. Have to check out the Claxton Mcqueen photo book.

Anyways, William Claxton also photographed Cannonball Adderley in the late 1950s. The photo is printed on the inside of the gatefold, and takes up one full side of it. I really like the idea to combine photographic art and music, and give each enough space to unfold its beauty in a classy way. The Photograph is defo not just used as a space filler in notebook style, as if done by an apprentice, but presented like an exhibition piece, with style, by a master curator.

As i said, i like the idea.... but the photo itself .... well well....
DSC_1128 - Kopie.JPG

jeez. At least to my ears, Adderley is among many other things a warm-hearted, spirited, solid and flexible master craftsman on the saxophone. I can't find anything of that in the picture which seems to have found inspiration in kitschy romance images tinged in pink and purple barf and vomit. And it does not really match the cover image on the beach. I mean, it's as if someone pours an extra sweet raspberry sauce over an already substantial chocolate cake, and then adds some extra silver sugar pearls to evoke a dreamy sparkle. Enough said.

I don't wanna be too strict, coz i like the idea, and it has been realized in a charming way. I'm just not into saccharine sugar-barf.

On the right side of the inner gatefold, they have printed the original liner notes by Orrin Keepnews. Strange. Anyways, I usually don't feel like reading this stuff, as it normally is over-excited, superficial name-dropping claptrap shit. But these notes, though deeply steeped in adjectives, adverbs and ridiculous superlatives, are really knowledgeable and also highly interesting and most informative.

One thing i learned was that Cannonball's quintet was one of the very few "non-cool" Eastern acts (not eggs, hahahaha...:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:😜😝🤓🥳🤪, anyways.....🐧) that were allowed to play the "cool" Southern California jazz scene in L.A. of that time, with the Lighthouse being located in an LA suburb, and known for a relaxed and low-pressure audience.

Sound of the record is very satisfying, rich in texture, warm in atmosphere. Killer release.

Well done, folks at Jazz Images.

1656776406069.png

1656776528008.png

IN COMMEMORATION
y1 - Kopie.JPG

LIL' T.
🖤 forever in our hearts 🖤

born: 2010
taken home from the shelter: Dec. 2011
:rainbow: : Nov 3rd, 2021

5a - Kopie.JPG

I got this out of the freezer the other day. One of the few albums that I mainly bought coz of their cover art and packaging. Actually, I am thinking of buying one of these horribly cheesy vinyl picture frames as well, to put it up the wall and admire the snow-capped alpine panorama non-stop.

Originally released in 1996 as thei 4th studio album and clearly alluding to the Stones' 1967 Their Satanic Majesties' Request, reviewers claim that it is supposedly better than everything that the Stones have released in decades. We all have the right to our own opinion.

I had been looking for some neo-psychedelia, and this was one of the albums that had popped up first. Music is highly influenced by Indian traditional instruments and 1960s psychedelic rock and pop.

The album is at best hallucinatory in its dragging tempo and meandering songs without any clear highlights. Everything's a bit mediocre, but of course playful. Vocals are a bummer most of the time.

My favorite songs on this album are the wonderful "Anemone" (vocals by Matt Hollywood and not Anton Newcombe), the lecherous "Cold to the Touch", and of course "Slowdown - F U C K Tomorrow".

w2 - Kopie.JPG

Packaging is first class, but the photographic design clearly lacks style. I've got the 2012 reissue here.
Interior looks like a college boy's instagram account. Who are all these people?

w1 - Kopie.JPG

I like the band's attitude though.

I was able to unearth some records on Friday, and made it a vinyl washing day yesterday.

Also had a few new and older records which were on the pile and needed some deep cleaning and re-scrubbing, even though I assume that an extra washing cycle cannot compensate for a bad pressing quality.

6a - Kopie.JPG

On the right are some grime-stained and filthy jackets waiting for the next wash cycle, which usually includes jacket repairs, fumigation and desinfection, as well as some vacuum cleaning. You never know what's hiding there inside these jackets. Gonna tell you a horror story later on.

In the meantime, the vinyl is drying in the fresh air of a summer's breeze over on the table near the open window.

On the left are the fresh and cherry records in near mint condition, shining like new, after their cleaning program, waiting to live it up again, in all their glitter and glory.

Back
Top Bottom