The Eureka Moment: What Got You Hooked?

This Charming Man. At first I just couldn't stomach Morrissey's voice- didn't get it at all, and I dismissed the guitar work as overly 'country and western' or something :squiffy: Downloaded about five songs because my best friend was raving on about the Smiths (I remember I was rather scathing about the lyrics when she quoted them, and can only admit to trying and failing to enjoy listening to Unhappy Birthday when she handed me an earphone of her iPod) and gave up after wincing through the Headmaster Ritual (still don't like it as much as other songs) :rolleyes: Later, my mp3 player was connected to the speakers and on shuffle, and tcm came on. intro made me think, 'that's interesting'. After replaying it about ten times, I sat back and thought 'oh, jesus, she was right- they WERE geniuses'.

Re: Younger fans (Smiths AND Moz)

Hey, this is actually my first thread, so I thought I'd make it interesting, at least for me! :)
Anyway, my question is: for those who weren't alive when The Smiths were around, how did you get into The Smiths and/or Morrissey?

I'll go first. :)
I've only been a fan for a relatively short time. I actually first heard 'How Soon is Now' and 'Nowhere Fast' on the History of the Guitar :guitar: last year (BBC 2 I think). There was quite a substantial section on The Smiths, and I was absolutely blown away the first time I heard them. I downloaded a load of stuff (although I do hope to get some CDs soon, when I have enough money! :p) and have been a fan ever since.

Earlier this year I thought I'd give some of Morrissey's solo stuff a listen, and loved that too. The man is an absolute genius!

I m 16, and often wish I had been around in the 80s so that I could have heard the Smiths etc with everyone else for the first time. My parents and friends generally think I'm a bit of a throwback for some reason, but oh well. :lbf: How about you guys?

EDIT: Yeah I really should read the rest of the board to check what other threads there are that bear a similarity before I make a new one.
But oh well, the question is still open :D

Hey there. I also wasn't alive for The Smiths and was rather young for a lot of Morrissey's early solo career (I'm 19). I remember the first time I ever heard The Smiths. It was on a skate video "Really Sorry" and during Arto Saari's part "Handsome Devil" was played. I fell in love with the song and thought it was the coolest thing. I loved the actual skating, but I would often times just watch his part to hear the song. I wasn't hooked at this point and never bothered to find out who it was. I'm pretty sure this was in 2003. Then probably about two years later, I was at a vegan potluck with some friends and someone brought a Smiths cd. I was really into it and asked who it was. I was so surprised with the answer because I would always see people with Smiths patches and assumed they were a contemporary band that sounded like The Vines or The Hives or whatever those bands were. Anyways, I demanded another friend to send me Smiths songs and I fell in love. A short while later I discovered Moz's solo stuff with Picadilly Palare of the Bona Drag cd. I binged on Morrissey and the Smiths for a long time, but it wasn't until this last year or two where I have started becoming very obsessed. His lyrics started hitting home more than ever and I feel as if I can really connect to his words more than any other artist out there. I can say there are only a few which can do this and Moz is definitely at the top.

Sometimes I get kind of intimidated when I talk or interact with older Smiths/Moz fans, just cause I obviously haven't been around for as long as a time. But whatever. I love his music/lyrics/personality/etc etc. intensely, so that's what matters, I suppose.

my love for the (few and far between) rockabilly-type numbers done both as a solo artist and with the Smiths makes me wonder why I haven't further explored it as a genre.

It's the same with me. I love his more rockabilly-esque type stuff and always ask myself why I haven't looked more into bands who have this kind of sound. I've dabbled in a little bit of Tiger Army who actually cover The Loop, but I really want to hear some older Rockabilly stuff. I'm going to make it a point to do this soon.

when i heard in 1982 the earliest the smiths demo,

johnny gave my friend who worked at xclothes a demo and i got a hold of it.

I'm 18, born between Viva Hate and Kill Uncle, so you're not the only one who missed out on the beginning... Welcome to Morrissey! Are you going to any of the shows this summer?

I was born a few months after your Arsenal :)
And no, unfortunately :( I will desperately try to get tickets for a show sometime in my life (hopefully soon!) as well as someone to go with- I need to get some of my friends into Morrissey :p

I binged on Morrissey and the Smiths for a long time, but it wasn't until this last year or two where I have started becoming very obsessed. His lyrics started hitting home more than ever and I feel as if I can really connect to his words more than any other artist out there. I can say there are only a few which can do this and Moz is definitely at the top.

Sometimes I get kind of intimidated when I talk or interact with older Smiths/Moz fans, just cause I obviously haven't been around for as long as a time. But whatever. I love his music/lyrics/personality/etc etc. intensely, so that's what matters, I suppose.

That is exactly the way I feel actually :D

sadly - not morrissey - harry hill doing his impersonation (dear dear) for about a week i sheepishly asked around if anyone knew about a guy who swung flowers around, before forgetting after no joy. a few years later was introduced by a work collegue and fell inlove with 'headmaster ritual' which i listened to on a loop for 3 hrs whilst attepmting to fall asleep.:crazy:

I was born a few months after your Arsenal :)
And no, unfortunately :( I will desperately try to get tickets for a show sometime in my life (hopefully soon!) as well as someone to go with- I need to get some of my friends into Morrissey :p

I know how you feel. I've spent all the money I have on May - going to 6 shows:o. Two of them by myself... I hope you get to see him soon. Do I take it from your 'brash, outrageous and free' that you're in London?

I know how you feel. I've spent all the money I have on May - going to 6 shows:o. Two of them by myself... I hope you get to see him soon. Do I take it from your 'brash, outrageous and free' that you're in London?

No actually, I just liked the line and thought it might make a nice title :) Also Hairdresser on Fire is one of my favourites :p

That is exactly the way I feel actually :D

Glad I'm not the only one! One day, we'll be the older ones like them. Kind of. We still wouldn't have even been able to see The Smiths... So you have to hurry up and see Moz before it's too late!

July 2006: I was flicking through the music channels with my American girlfriend. All of a sudden, 'You have killed me' comes on and I was amazed and not only the quality of the song, but how charismatic and cool Morrissey was. I had never heard of him. My girlfriend said "oh yeah he has a cult following and has alot of weird fans". I was intrigued, so the following day i bought ROTT. At first i thought the album was okay... but after a while i began to love it. Since then, i have bought all his solo, Smiths CDs and Vinyl.
:crazy:

Tags
fans smiths
Back
Top Bottom