The Eureka Moment: What Got You Hooked?

...Also when I saw the handsome man on an interview...I was instantly hooked, so beautiful, so articulate, a modern poet...I was immediately curious because I had heard a few of the smiths songs and a couple of Morrissey solo and I wasn't blown away straight off but I looked up the lyrics and I can remember thinking wow I can really relate to this man. I, like Moz, suffer from depression occasionally and his lyrics rang so true for me :)
I havent looked back since

Meriweather Post Pavilion, July '91 - Kill Uncle tour.
Walked in a non fan, walked out hooked.

Meriweather Post Pavilion, July '91 - Kill Uncle tour.
Walked in a non fan, walked out hooked.

I really like your sentence: walked in a non fan, walked out hooked.

I listened to the Queen is Dead and a few other songs, the following day I was in HMV buying all the albums.
Cheers Moz

Lying in my bedroom listening to Hatful of Hollow and hearing Accept Yourself for the first time, one night late in 86.

When I was about 9 or 10 yrs old in elementary school this boy use to wear his older brothers shirts. One was a "KIll Uncle" shirt and one day his brother picked us up from school and was playing "Everyday is Like Sunday". I remember listening to it while he would drive us home and liking the sound. My first cassette I ever bought was The Smiths Best of 1 and then I got 2 shortly after. From then on I was hooked and have been ever since.

there is a light in my first loves car on a long drive that included multiple underpasses late at night... age 14.

Lovely.

Me: Wandering the club bare in stockinged feet. Lights turn at 4 am, faces blanch into ordinariness by neon. Sudden quiet. We all expect the requisite disco "Time to get the heck out...NOW" music to come on full throttle, but then --

'How Soon is Now' is playing like a spell. It's ragged through the soundsystem, the last transmission of the night magic.

Mainly due to these men:

1184253935_epageAFI17.jpg

I took much pride in liking their influences. Sadly, I now like their influences a bit more than I like them.

Mainly due to these men:

1184253935_epageAFI17.jpg

I took much pride in liking their influences. Sadly, I now like their influences a bit more than I like them.

This was unavoidable considering they haven't made an album that could live up to their potential since 2000's The Art of Drowning. But I will always respect them and love their work from 95-2000.

This was unavoidable considering they haven't made an album that could live up to their potential since 2000's The Art of Drowning. But I will always respect them and love their work from 95-2000.

Funny thing... I have no idea who they are. I don't listen to the radio or any radio station for that matter. I had to look up "The art of drowning" to find out who they were. Still never heard their music, but heard of them.

Tim Broad's video for "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" because it made The Smiths out to be a very desirable gang I could join.

The fact that the gang no longer existed, at the moment I was watching the video on MTV, somehow added to the appeal.

I don't know. Sing the Sorrow was good...not REALLY mindblowingly good like Black Sails in the Sunset, but it was good.

After Blaqk Audio's Cexcells was released a little more than a year after Decemberunderground, I remember wondering why Jade and Davey couldn't put that much effort into the AFI album (seeing as Cexcells was incredible).

Funny thing... I have no idea who they are. I don't listen to the radio or any radio station for that matter. I had to look up "The art of drowning" to find out who they were. Still never heard their music, but heard of them.

Radio was never really their friend unless it was college or indie radio. I do know they are big fans of the Smiths though so obviousy they're smart cookies.

To bring it back on topic, for me, it was the summer that "The More You Ignore Me..." was out on the airwaves. I was young, repressed, and "in love" with my swim coach (surely told this story before). I was 12, he was 16. I obsessed over him as he was my first real crush. I soon realized no matter how much I "loved" him, it could never happen and it would never be. One day in particular I think I was on the high dive, heard this song being played, and realized it rang true to me. I was too young and too suburban to be a true fan at that time (the fandom came 8 years later) but its a song, moment, and summer I will never forget.

I don't know. Sing the Sorrow was good...not REALLY mindblowingly good like Black Sails in the Sunset, but it was good.

After Blaqk Audio's Cexcells was released a little more than a year after Decemberunderground, I remember wondering why Jade and Davey couldn't put that much effort into the AFI album (seeing as Cexcells was incredible).

Yeah I can't really front. I owned Sing the Sorrow, played it on my radio show at school, went to the gigs, and had the tshirt. Haha. Its the decemberunderground album that really disapointed the hell out of me. But yes you're right Sing the Sorrow wasn't bad at all. That was a really great tour as well. Saw a few of the dates including the show at Irving Plaza in NYC when I beat the shit out of my enemy at the time in the pit. It was awesome. He cried! :guitar:

I'd heard various songs by The Smiths and Morrissey years before but I dismissed them because my friends who liked Morrissey were all cookie-cutters of one another. Time passed. I was in a terrible relationship and about to leave. Bored made me listen to "If You Don't Like Me..." and "Life Is a Pigsty." I was instantly hooked and listened to those two songs over and over. Later I got a wonderful mix CD with gems like "Lost" and "Jack the Ripper." I miss that CD - don't know what happened to it. :(

2000 became a casusal fan...have never heard a song before nor read anything of them nor hand friends knowing them or ever playing them but nonetheless I was aware of them since i ve worked in a record store.. ( was responsible for independent section)
(they never played them there for some odd reason)but the cover art was intruiging
then it goes up like it him more and more over the years-as i bought more and more cds of him.but never saw livevideo or even a music video of him .
.so i didnt know whatto expect of a morrissey concert or a morrissey crowd.. quite virginal haha:lbf:.but the moment when i became an absolute obsessive was def the first time I saw him live in berlin 2006
from the moment he stepped out on stage and literally light up the room.i was hypnotized/transfixed.i was in state of a drug like haze like i had taken ectasy/lsd while watching trhe concer-i assume it feels similar .i had and have never taken taken any drugs
...and i must say i was very surprised when he did rip of his shirt :p
i had never felt at a concert...i was dizzy and overwhelmed when it was over and then the obsession/hardcore fan state began....:p
even though i immensly enjoyed the later concerts ..but thsi intense state of mind from the 1st concert could not be repeated in such an extreme state..

Last edited:
Radio was never really their friend unless it was college or indie radio. I do know they are big fans of the Smiths though so obviousy they're smart cookies.

To bring it back on topic, for me, it was the summer that "The More You Ignore Me..." was out on the airwaves. I was young, repressed, and "in love" with my swim coach (surely told this story before). I was 12, he was 16. I obsessed over him as he was my first real crush. I soon realized no matter how much I "loved" him, it could never happen and it would never be. One day in particular I think I was on the high dive, heard this song being played, and realized it rang true to me. I was too young and too suburban to be a true fan at that time (the fandom came 8 years later) but its a song, moment, and summer I will never forget.

They must be very smart cookies then. My younger cousins actually listened to them, but I never really paid too much attention. I guess I will just have to look them up on Rhapsody while I am here at work.

It's been about 18 yrs for me since I have been a fan.

When I first set eyes upon the cover of Strangeways. True story. I used to be obsessed with the cover art before I first listened to The Smiths in 87.

HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT MY SUN DROP,MY HABIBI,MY MI AMORE like that!Morrissey is not an Emo.Your wrong! your wrong about everything you've just said..My Habibi is one of the best song writers in the world..Certainly much better than Paul McCartney(and boy does he know it!),Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc...None of those inarticulate talentless old sods match up to brilliance that my Sun Angel possesses! I mean you only have to read the lyrics to "There is a light that never goes out"-"if a ten tone truck crashes into us,to die by your side well the pleasure the privilege is mine" to see the genious of this human prodigy, of this god! Come on! His lyrics are not simple at all,you can see that alot of thought has been put into them. I get him, and i feel as though through his lyrics he is speaking to me,through that magical mess of words,he is trying to tell me a message.That's why i love him so, i love him more than life itself, i would trade anything to be with him..or near him,to breath in his beautiful scent, to inhale his musk,to taste his blood,i want him to pass on his illness's and his diseases i want to heal him...He is not a wanker!..he is the most special,Important being in the whole universe and we are lucky to be sharing this planet with such a astonishing creature
Some nights i cry myself to sleep just thinking of his beauty, he overpower's me.It's ok if you consider him an emo,Isn't everybody deep down inside?...my husband often has to dig out the razor blades woven into my flesh...but he will just never understand the importance and the influence of morrissey in my life..that's why i must get a divorce...So me and my Habibi Albi Morrissey can finally be together...

Um, er, okay....???

2000. I heard a lovely singing voice coming from my brother's bedroom telling William that it was really nothing. The same day I stole my brother's cd (which I never returned btw). :blushing: Then the digging began, and the deeper I dug, the more sheltered I felt. He's the only person that I got to love more as I got to know more about him. Usually it's more like the other way around. :rolleyes: Where oh where to find the words to describe what he means to me. :drama: ;)

Last edited:
Tags
fans smiths
Back
Top Bottom