The Eureka Moment: What Got You Hooked?

Sybil Vane

First Smiths song in your teenaged bedroom, first Moz solo in your college dorm, the boy with the messy hair and the off-kilter grin...?

there is a light in my first loves car on a long drive that included multiple underpasses late at night... age 14.

When I heard "This charming man" and then "I dont owe you anything" the line "I walked all this way, just to hear you say, I dont want to go out tonight..." hooked me.

Also Suedehead and everyday is like sunday, sent to me by a friend :)

I Know It's Over really got me when I heard it. Some of the lyrics completely rang true for me at the time, (and still do to an extent.) So, I suppose I got hooked due to the fact I was in a sad-bastard-feeling-sorry-for-myself frame of mind :).

Reading about Morrissey and The Smiths in a couple year-end issues of music magazines in 1988....I'd never heard any of the music, but thought I'd like the music if I heard it based on what I'd read. I finally got Your Arsenal for my birthday (not much disposable income during my teen years), and that was it!

My friend Sadia played "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" for me in 2000. The first time I heard it I thought, "Who the hell is this?" The second time she played it I was dazzled. She made a Smiths CD and a Morrissey CD for me and got me started; later she mailed me secondhand copies of "Your Arsenal" and "Vauxhall & I." I took it from there!

I am 46 and never heard of the Smiths or Morrissey until she played their music for me. I grew up in Kansas, and although we had MTV (of course), I was never exposed to them until she introduced me.

My husband curses the day Sadia was born - he thinks "November Spawned A Monster" suits her, especially as she was indeed born in November.

I will be attending my second Morrissey show next Friday in Dallas and CANNOT WAIT!!!

i dont recall the exact moment. at first i was just a casual smiths listener and then at some point i was dumped by a girl and suddenly moz was speaking to me!:eek:

it went downhill from there. for the best, of course.

i dont recall the exact moment. at first i was just a casual smiths listener and then at some point i was dumped by a girl and suddenly moz was speaking to me!:eek:

it went downhill from there. for the best, of course.

its interesting because i dont remember either. and i think my obsession, like real obsession, isnt that old. maybe 5 or 6 years old?

when i did start getting obsessed was when the lyrics spoke to me. longing, disappointment...and many times hope. ive been longing for a long time now and i feel like i cant express these things. morrissey can.

1986...I was 13 and I heard "Ask" for the first time. I was into a lot of indie music and I was totally hooked. Became obsessed...still am! :D

"How Soon is Now", The lyrics "You shut your mouth, how can you say, I go about things the wrong way, I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does."

It just rang so true then and now.

1986. I was 15. A friend of mine kept telling me I'd like The Smiths, but I didn't believe her. She was always playing crap that I hated. Jean Loves Jezebel, Dead Or Alive, The Cult... Hated it all.

I was sitting on her bed. She put "Sweet And Tender Hooligan" on and I thought: Wow. This is gooood.

Thing is? I didn't want to tell her that. I didn't like her very much and I didn't WANT to like it. I told her I didn't like it, but then I went home and spent the rest of my life finding out everything I could about them. Remember, there was no internet at that time. It was a whole different sort of experience.

Morrissey impressed me so. His words were just what I needed. Still are.

The first time I remember hearing Morrissey was on XFM on a channel called Fred. My Mister used to play it late at night. I heard, "You're The One For Me, Fatty", and thought, what a voice. Heard another song; think it was "I Started Something" and finally asked who is that. He told me, Morrissey and The Smiths. Next day, went to a thrift store and found World of Morrissey for 99 cents. Coincidence??? Serendipity??? Anyway, I started buying Morrissey albums and CDs, and when I had them all, turned to The Smiths. Now I have practically everything he has ever sung and hang on his every word. How I made it this far without finding him sooner, I don't know. He is by far the most real lyricist ever. Hands down. He gets it. And did I mention that voice. When I finally saw a picture of Morrissey, my obsession was complete. All that is left is to see him in person which I am attempting to do at one of the YOR tour dates. The two concerts I had tickets for were both canceled. Hopefully I will get to see him soon in Austin and hear that voice up close and personal. What a brilliant mind.

This Charming Man on Top of the Pops, everyone watched it in the early 80's. Morrissey was and still is Beautiful and that song.

This Charming Man on Top of the Pops, everyone watched it in the early 80's. Morrissey was and still is Beautiful and that song.

Yes same here, think it was 'WHAT DIFFERENCE' the first time i saw/heard him. borrowed The Smiths from a friends brother, wrote all the lyrics out by hand, copied lp onto cassette and played it to death!!! went out and purchased 'hatfull, actually lost my virginity to that long player!!!! 'These things take time, i know that im , the most inept that ever stepped!!!!' goodness me that was an awful long time ago!! xxxx

I was taken by Suedehead on the radio, but I wasn't truly hooked, never to be set free, until a week in 1995 when I saw Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now on a TOTP repeat, and also saw coverage on a late night news show of a Smiths Bus Trip in Auckland. It looked like the best thing ever, and I knew The Smiths were my destiny. Eureka!

My "Eureka Moment" was the moment I first read the lyrics of ol' Mozza. WOW. I thought. So... so real. So emotional. So passionate. So uncontrived. Unadorned. So plain. So simple.

So... simplistic even. Childishly so. And not in the good way. Hang on... what's going on here? And then... THEN it hit me. My "Eureka Moment" was of an entirely different sort... not only were the phrases of Moz inelegant in the extreme-- poorly-formed and poorly-conceived-- his apparent "emotion" is really a manifestation of his miserable-sod Emo nature. Yes, Emo. Old Moz has kicked off a genre, it seems...

So. In conclusion. I realized that Moz was a bit of a wanker!:cool:

My "Eureka Moment" was the moment I first read the lyrics of ol' Mozza. WOW. I thought. So... so real. So emotional. So passionate. So uncontrived. Unadorned. So plain. So simple.

So... simplistic even. Childishly so. And not in the good way. Hang on... what's going on here? And then... THEN it hit me. My "Eureka Moment" was of an entirely different sort... not only were the phrases of Moz inelegant in the extreme-- poorly-formed and poorly-conceived-- his apparent "emotion" is really a manifestation of his miserable-sod Emo nature. Yes, Emo. Old Moz has kicked off a genre, it seems...

So. In conclusion. I realized that Moz was a bit of a wanker!:cool:
HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT MY SUN DROP,MY HABIBI,MY MI AMORE like that!Morrissey is not an Emo.Your wrong! your wrong about everything you've just said..My Habibi is one of the best song writers in the world..Certainly much better than Paul McCartney(and boy does he know it!),Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc...None of those inarticulate talentless old sods match up to brilliance that my Sun Angel possesses! I mean you only have to read the lyrics to "There is a light that never goes out"-"if a ten tone truck crashes into us,to die by your side well the pleasure the privilege is mine" to see the genious of this human prodigy, of this god! Come on! His lyrics are not simple at all,you can see that alot of thought has been put into them. I get him, and i feel as though through his lyrics he is speaking to me,through that magical mess of words,he is trying to tell me a message.That's why i love him so, i love him more than life itself, i would trade anything to be with him..or near him,to breath in his beautiful scent, to inhale his musk,to taste his blood,i want him to pass on his illness's and his diseases i want to heal him...He is not a wanker!..he is the most special,Important being in the whole universe and we are lucky to be sharing this planet with such a astonishing creature
Some nights i cry myself to sleep just thinking of his beauty, he overpower's me.It's ok if you consider him an emo,Isn't everybody deep down inside?...my husband often has to dig out the razor blades woven into my flesh...but he will just never understand the importance and the influence of morrissey in my life..that's why i must get a divorce...So me and my Habibi Albi Morrissey can finally be together...

Last edited:
Tags
fans smiths
Back
Top Bottom