The ethics of vegetarianism

T

Transient

Guest
Vegetarians may not be so righteous, Plants have a definate preference to staying alive as eveidenced by the fact they are often spikey or poisonous so the arguments used to shame meat eaters may apply to vegetarians, you may try and say that it doesn't count because plants aren't aware but you'd be wrong, plants like music & plants are affraid to shadows so they have some awarness, what makes the vegetarians worse is the fact that plants don't even have the option of running away, If you wanted to be be truely righteous we'd all be eating chemically engineered goop, personally I think it's best to be omniverous, that way you are consuming ballenced amounts of the 2 order of life and not just picking on one or the other.
 
I

IceNoodle

Guest
> Vegetarians may not be so righteous, Plants have a definate
> preference to staying alive as eveidenced by the fact they are
> often spikey or poisonous so the arguments used to shame meat
> eaters may apply to vegetarians, you may try and say that it
> doesn't count because plants aren't aware but you'd be wrong,
> plants like music & plants are affraid to shadows so they
> have some awarness, what makes the vegetarians worse is the fact
> that plants don't even have the option of running away, If you
> wanted to be be truely righteous we'd all be eating chemically
> engineered goop, personally I think it's best to be omniverous,
> that way you are consuming ballenced amounts of the 2 order of
> life and not just picking on one or the other.

Hey, it suddenly seems so clear to me now. I think i'll start eating those chickens that can run away because they're stuck in spacious 1cm x 1cm boxes! Damn, I wish you'd let me see the light earlier.

Leo
 
T

Transient

Guest
> Hey, it suddenly seems so clear to me now. I think i'll start
> eating those chickens that can run away because they're stuck in
> spacious 1cm x 1cm boxes! Damn, I wish you'd let me see the
> light earlier.

> Leo

I never said anything about Battery animals, free range is ok, A battery hen would not be big enough to be worth eating, something that lived a happy life will taste better, think about those plants in the tiny thimble sized pots with no room to spread their roots.

P.S. if we weren't actually meant to be eating meat we'd simply be unable to.
 
M

Mimi

Guest
> I never said anything about Battery animals, free range is ok, A
> battery hen would not be big enough to be worth eating,
> something that lived a happy life will taste better, think about
> those plants in the tiny thimble sized pots with no room to
> spread their roots.

> P.S. if we weren't actually meant to be eating meat we'd simply
> be unable to.

Well, but the main difference between animals and humans is that we have a CHOICE and so I CHOOSE not to be involved in taking an animals life.... And call me evil but I just don't care about plants enough to do the same for them. Well, I like trees but they don't taste good anyway so we don't have a problem.
Also: meat is about the unhealthiest thing you can take in these days, every animal that is bread to be eaten is so full of medication and hormons that you might aswell eat PVC and drink petrol.
 
M

Mimi

Guest
> Also: meat is about the unhealthiest thing you can take in these
> days, every animal that is bread to be eaten is so full of
> medication and hormons that you might aswell eat PVC and drink
> petrol.

Oh.....and: if I had a child, regardless freedom of choice, I'd raise it as a vegetarian simply because I'd be worried about its health and because I'd try to teach it to respect life in its different forms. And I think that the physics of animals is so close to that of humans that I feel uncomfortable with the thought of how close eating meat is to cannibalism.....
 
T

Transient

Guest
meat is about the unhealthiest thing you can take in these
> days, every animal that is bread to be eaten is so full of
> medication and hormons that you might aswell eat PVC and d

Deppends what country, in many countries you will find more pesticide and presservatives on fruit and vegetables than you will find chemicals in meat.
 
T

Transient

Guest
> Oh.....and: if I had a child, regardless freedom of choice, I'd
> raise it as a vegetarian
you will have trouble keeping that child healthy, although spinach does contain lots of Iron it won't do you any good without b12, there are only 3 ways to obtain b12, 1) Red meat 2) Raw Liver 3) artificial suppliment, without b12 your child's body will be unable to absorb iron.

Some vegetarians know how to stay healthy but many of them are unable to stay healthy and end up pale, lethargic and underweight.

You will probably find that forcing your child to be a vegetarian will constitute child abuse.
 
T

The Person Underneath

Guest
Beetroot break-out.

This needed to be said and by Jiminy you said it.

STOP PICKING ON PLANTS!

My close associate Horatio happens to be a brussel sprout and "I don't eat my friends"! Plants ALWAYS get a raw deal. Even the carnivores among us have meat and TWO veg. Incarcerated in the bottom drawer of almost every refrigerator a poor lettuce is, quite literally, rotting away in misery and solitude.

Well enough is enough. I'm forming a radical action group. Our first mission will be codenamed 'Liberation Lettuce'. The rest of you can help by lobbying your MP's for the introduction of "chemically engineered goop". Lobby hard comrades and remember our motto:

"Viva the Cucumber Commandos!"

T.P.U. xxx (Oh yeah, it's about time they started killing some of those useless whales.)
 
T

Transient

Guest
Re: Beetroot break-out.

You're the first one here who hasn't gotten all self righteous and serious, it was all meant to be a joke but people chose to take it serious so I decided to let them keep being serious and get myself into a nice little argument while I'm at it.

> This needed to be said and by Jiminy you said it.

> STOP PICKING ON PLANTS!

> My close associate Horatio happens to be a brussel sprout and
> "I don't eat my friends"! Plants ALWAYS get a raw
> deal. Even the carnivores among us have meat and TWO veg.
> Incarcerated in the bottom drawer of almost every refrigerator a
> poor lettuce is, quite literally, rotting away in misery and
> solitude.

> Well enough is enough. I'm forming a radical action group. Our
> first mission will be codenamed 'Liberation Lettuce'. The rest
> of you can help by lobbying your MP's for the introduction of
> "chemically engineered goop". Lobby hard comrades and
> remember our motto:

> "Viva the Cucumber Commandos!"

> T.P.U. xxx (Oh yeah, it's about time they started killing some
> of those useless whales.)
 
T

The Person Underneath

Guest
Re: Beetroot break-out.

> You're the first one here who hasn't gotten all self righteous
> and serious, it was all meant to be a joke but people chose to
> take it serious so I decided to let them keep being serious and
> get myself into a nice little argument while I'm at it.

I noticed. It seemed perfectly obvious to me that your posting was submitted in a light hearted manner. I must commend you though on your adept handling of the situation.

"Live long and prosper."

T.P.U. xxx
 
T

The Person Underneath

Guest
Portions

chickens that can run away because they're stuck in
> spacious 1cm x 1cm boxes!

Chickens in 1cm x 1cm boxes. I know exactly what you mean, you must have purchased (at tremendous expense) a Kentucky Fried Super Value Meal over the weekend too!

Colonel Saunders is nothing more than grubby old thief. And a chicken molester.

T.P.U. xxx
 
M

Mimi

Guest
Re: Everyone's a victim baby

> Some vegetarians know how to stay healthy but many of them are
> unable to stay healthy and end up pale, lethargic and
> underweight.

I've been vegetarian for 14 years and believe me I'm far from any of the above.

> You will probably find that forcing your child to be a
> vegetarian will constitute child abuse.

Oh yeah?? Would you also blame people of child abuse that raise their kids catholic, bi-lingual or without television?? HELLOOOO..... Everyone raises their kids in their best belief of what they think is good for them. So if you want to look at it that drastically - okay, we're all our parent's victims of abuse....
 
M

Mimi

Guest
Re: Dear, aren't you a cheeky smart little devil?(???)

I admit I fell for it
 
M

Mimi

Guest
Re: Dear, aren't you a cheeky smart little devil?(???)

> I admit I fell for it

....damn them rainy Sunday afternoons when you have nothing better to do but post crap on random message boards.
I admit this is a cheap excuse. But I'm a bad loser.
 
T

The Person Underneath

Guest
Re: Dear, aren't you a cheeky smart little devil?(???)

> I admit I fell for it

I really admire your honesty. It's real easy to read something, particularly if it pertains to something you're passionate over, misinterpret it and go off half cocked. Believe me I know. What's not so easy is to admit it. It really says a lot about a person.

"Why is the last mile the hardest mile"?

T.P.U. xxx
 
M

Mimi

Guest
Re: Dear, aren't you a cheeky smart little devil?(???)

> I really admire your honesty. It's real easy to read something,
> particularly if it pertains to something you're passionate over,
> misinterpret it and go off half cocked. Believe me I know.
> What's not so easy is to admit it. It really says a lot about a
> person.

> "Why is the last mile the hardest mile"?

> T.P.U. xxx

Thank you. I'm glad my honesty didn't make the embarrassment worse.
 
L

Lifeguard Sleeping

Guest
If Plants Weren't Meant To Be Eaten, They'd Have Been Given Legs
 
S

Someone With a Big Nose

Guest
To kill or not to kill....

> Deppends what country, in many countries you will find more
> pesticide and presservatives on fruit and vegetables than you
> will find chemicals in meat.

Blah blah, I love it when you use the word "most." When you've resorted to general terms in the argument you know it's over.

We no longer have the need to chase an animal down, and stab it do death, hang it upside down, (so that it can fully bleed to death), and then cook and eat it. Nor, do we have the need to take an animal, partially suffocate it in the hot sun and waterless air, carve it's guts out, and fry it for dinner. It's not comforting needed or kind, it's death for no reason......and death for no reason is murder.

There is NO difference between eating animals and eating other people. We are animals as well. Murder is murder. And, I, don't want to be a part of it anymore.

Feel free to responce with little retorts, but it IS Murder. That is un-argumentable.
 
C

Cinderella Borgia

Guest
Re: To kill or not to kill....

...That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outraigous fortune; or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing, end them.

Here's my two peneth...does it have or come out of something with a central nervous system, if so, no, no.
 
Top Bottom