Morrissey Central "The End" (August 14, 2020)

Yes, the end . finallity . and we can but grieve because theres nothing else to do. and nothing else we want to do

You don't like me but you love me,
Either way you're wrong
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.

i think hell be ok . simply because he was so very close .there was probably nothing left unresolved and he did his mum proud.

i think hell be ok . simply because he was so very close .there was probably nothing left unresolved and he did his mum proud.
first sensible post ive seen on the subject

my deepest condolence and respect for lady elizabeth anne dwyer.

may her soul rest in peace.

losing the most beloved one is greatest pain soul can adhere to.

817%2B9JoJlcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sad of course but she’s in her eighties? Mine passed at 61. How long are you expected to live? And what’s the quality of life??

Yes, but you can't expect the family to post, oh well, she had a good innings. They love her & they miss her.

Best version of the song in the original post. It's seems far less strange in this context.

RIP

The secret of music.

From wikipedia:

Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet is a 1971 composition by Gavin Bryars based on a loop of an unknown homeless man singing a brief improvised[1] stanza.[2] Rich harmonies, comprising string and brass, are gradually overlaid over the stanza. The piece was first recorded for use in a documentary which chronicles street life in and around Elephant and Castle and Waterloo, in London. When later listening to the recordings, Bryars noticed the clip was in tune with his piano and that it conveniently looped into 13 bars.[3] For the first LP recording, he was limited to a duration of 25 minutes; later he completed a 60-minute version of the piece for cassette tape; and with the advent of the CD, a 74-minute version. It was shortlisted for the 1993 Mercury Prize.

Bryars says:

In 1971, when I lived in London, I was working with a friend, Alan Power, on a film about people living rough in the area around Elephant and Castle and Waterloo Station. In the course of being filmed, some people broke into drunken song – sometimes bits of opera, sometimes sentimental ballads – and one, who in fact did not drink, sang a religious song "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet". This was not ultimately used in the film and I was given all the unused sections of tape, including this one.
When I played it at home, I found that his singing was in tune with my piano, and I improvised a simple accompaniment. I noticed, too, that the first section of the song – 13 bars in length – formed an effective loop which repeated in a slightly unpredictable way [in the notes for the 1993 recording on Point, Bryars wrote that while the singer's pitch was quite accurate, his sense of tempo was irregular]. I took the tape loop to Leicester, where I was working in the Fine Art Department, and copied the loop onto a continuous reel of tape, thinking about perhaps adding an orchestrated accompaniment to this. The door of the recording room opened on to one of the large painting studios and I left the tape copying, with the door open, while I went to have a cup of coffee. When I came back I found the normally lively room unnaturally subdued. People were moving about much more slowly than usual and a few were sitting alone, quietly weeping.
I was puzzled until I realised that the tape was still playing and that they had been overcome by the old man's singing. This convinced me of the emotional power of the music and of the possibilities offered by adding a simple, though gradually evolving, orchestral accompaniment that respected the homeless man's nobility and simple faith. Although he died before he could hear what I had done with his singing, the piece remains as an eloquent, but understated testimony to his spirit and optimism."[4]

Best version of the song in the original post. It's seems far less strange in this context.

RIP

Yes, there's also a version on which Tom Waits sings background vocals. Here's a clip of Gavin Bryars and Tom Waits discussing the song. The main vocals were from a homeless man whose impromptu singing was recorded for a documentary film project. Bryars was moved by his singing and composed the piece around his vocals.

I hope Morrissey spends an extended period of time with his family (e.g. his sister and Sam) after the funeral. They need each other right now.

I don't like the idea of Morrissey going back to wherever he lives right now, possibly alone (if he lives alone, none of us know, do we?), alone with his thoughts all day.

Losing a parent is one of the most traumatic and horrendous things any of us will ever experience, and it is even worse when you lose a parent you were particularly close to like Morrissey was with his mother. A bereavement like that shatters you. Life just isn't the same again. You lose someone and something that can never be replaced and can never be put right.

I understand Boz lost his own mother, was it last year? He is one of Morrissey oldest friends, as well as being a bandmate. Hopefully he can offer some words of comfort, having gone through something similar relatively recently.

I also wonder if Johnny might have been in contact? I think it would mean a lot to Morrissey if some people from his past reconnected with him.

Totally agree, Boz will be able to offer him support. I am sure that Johnny (and Angie) will have been in contact. JM shares the Irish connection and his own Mum (Frances) became friends with Elizabeth when The Smiths took off, Morrissey wanted them to get to know each other.

Totally agree, Boz will be able to offer him support. I am sure that Johnny (and Angie) will have been in contact. JM shares the Irish connection and his own Mum (Frances) became friends with Elizabeth when The Smiths took off, Morrissey wanted them to get to know each other.
Remember folks, it was the funeral of one of the Stone Roses' mothers that brought the band back together. Just sayin.

once you get to a certain age,that age being fifty you realise you could literally drop dead every day of the week.you have a different outlook on life as well.M will be fine.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom