The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best?

The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best?

• Total voters
Re: The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best

1. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
2. Ringleader of the Tormentors
3. You Are The Quarry
4. Years of Refusal

Re: The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best

I don’t think YOR broke no new music ground. I think it sounds different than anything he’d done at that point. He never had a song as aggressive as “Something Is Squeezing My Skull” etc.

"Something Is Squeezing My Skull" is just the rhythm part of "You're The One For Me, Fatty" sped-up with lots of distortion...

"Something Is Squeezing My Skull" is just the rhythm part of "You're The One For Me, Fatty" sped-up with lots of distortion...

and that's what makes it sound aggressive

and that's what makes it sound aggressive

That doesn't make it aggressive...it just makes it muddled.

To each their own, I personally love that song and think it's a great opening track. Ironically it reminds me of Bayside or bands of that ilk, which doesn't bother me . I wouldn't want a whole album of Moz like that but for a song or two it's neat.

I'm really starting to try and intake WPINOYB as a 12 song album, which is making it easier to digest in one sitting and rate against the others.

This may upset some, but not only do I think 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' is his best work since 'Vauxhall And I'... I think it may very well be better.

This may upset some, but not only do I think 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' is his best work since 'Vauxhall And I'... I think it may very well be better.

People love being upset. You're doing them a favour. It's a brave claim. Heads up!

oh i love that song. the vocal melodies catchy and the lyrics are great

Just my opinion:

1. World Peace
- Lots of strong tracks, only a couple low points

2. Quarry
- Lots of strong tracks, maybe a stand out track less or two than World Peace. Definitely notable how considerably better is was than the last two albums at the time, coming off of a hiatus.

3. Refusal
- The album meshes well, but doesn't have too many stand-out songs. I like all of the songs, only love a couple.

4. Ringleader
- A big mixed bag. The middle of the album is really outstanding but the majority of the songs I don't bother with. I want to rate it higher simply because of You Have Killed Me, but there are too many duds within.

Either way, I'd rate these last four albums as much stronger than the first six studio albums.

#1 YATQ: Key track "Come back to Candem", Key Single: "Irish blood, English heart", Key B-Side: "Friday Mourning"
#2 WPINOYB: Key Track: "I'm not a man", Key Single: "Istanbul", Key B-side (Extra track): "Forgive Someone"
#3 ROTT: Key Track: "Life is a Pigsty", Key Single: "You have killed me", Key B-side: "Ganglord"
#4 YOR: Key Track: "One day goodbye will be Farewell", Key Single: None, Key B-side: "Because of my poor education"

1. Your Are The Quarry - only one bad song (I Like You)
2. Ringleader of the Tormentors - only two bad songs (To Me You Are A Work of Art & I'll Never Be Anyone's Hero Now)
3. World Peace Is None of Your Business - only three bad songs if you don't count the b-sides (I'm Not A Man, Smiler With Knife, Mountjoy)
4. Years of Refusal - a few decent songs but such an ugly record

I can't speak to objective 'best', but World Peace is definitely my favourite of the last four. YOR has gone down in my estimation recently, I enjoy ROTT musically but there is a fair bit of filler, and while I really enjoy YATQ it has a slightly over-produced, over-polished quality which makes it feel bland in places. Mind you, I am still in the honeymoon phase with WPINOYB so my opinions will probably change over time.

1) YATQ: Despite the cheesy production, Alain Whyte provides Morrissey with some of the strongest material of his career.
2) WPINOYB: Joe Chiccarelli and Gustavo Manzur kick the artistry up a notch - Morrissey's vocals and lyrics respond.
3 & 4) ROTT and YOR: tie. Both albums contain some hits and more than a few misses, and both albums suffer from too heavy a musical hand (and some correspondingly forced-sounding vocals on Morrissey's part).

Premature thread. f*** knows how you can say the dusts settled over two weeks ago.

1. Quarry
2. World Peace
3. Refusal
4. Ringleader

For so long I've neglected ringleader & refusal, (they are on my iPhone and do have the vinyl) but along with southpaw, those are the three that I tend to avoid, ....until now, spending the last 2 weeks trying to like World Peace and failing, and on the back of many threads comparing & disecting his last 4 albums, I went back to ringleader and it's sounds like a f***ing masterpiece compared to this (wpinoyb), it's soothing, melodic and the tracks all fit together, unlike WP which is a confused mess. I'd even put ringleader ahead of quarry for now. Anyone else who's ears are ringing and head is hurting listening to world peace, go and listen to ringleader and float away in its brilliance.

For me, You are the Quarry has the best collection of songs overall.
Ringleader of the Tormentors is about 50% unlistenable drivel and 50% gold; the gold on this album is better than anything on the previous album or the albums that came later - so it gets my vote.
Years of Refusal is almost entirely made up of embarrassingly awful tripe.
World Peace is None of Your Business is a well-produced album where so much is thrown at a collection of unmemorable songs that it's almost interesting in that regard alone, but not something I think I'll be listening to very much in the future (apart from Kiss Me A Lot and Drag the River maybe).

I can't help feeling that after 1997 he's found it difficult to know what to write about; so the songs on the tax-exile albums either go over old ground without any of the poetry/beauty of the originals (and from a horribly detached distance) or he writes angry songs about high court judges who took away some of his fortune or how stupid people who vote for governments who want to tax him are stupid people.
There just doesn't seem to be any point to what he writes now. Or genuine self-perception. And very little humour or bite. You'd expect there to be some semblance of self-deprication on a song about how horrible men are, sung by a man who's spent most of his life idolising masculine figures (like wife-beating Steve McQueen, for instance), but no.

The only one of the 4 I really like is Years Of Refusal - it sounds like a strung out, angry, depressive, middle-aged follow up to Hatful Of Hollow and has great tonal coherence as an album.

By contrast, Word Piss Is None Of Your Bizniss sounds like the guys who did the Lego Movie decided to make a Morrissey album.

1. YATQ
2. WPINOYB (by the slenderest of margins, if considering the extras)
3. ROTT (which would be 2, with a deluxe edition including Bs)
4. YOR

Shocking turn of events for me, as I was crushingly disappointed in YATQ. As had started with Maladusted (and only on KU earlier in the solo career), I skip songs on all four.

Honeymoon has been over since the Smiths split but if you insist - Quarry, Refusal, World & Ringleader.

Back
Top Bottom