The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best?

The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best?

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
QuarryMENArena.jpg

Re: The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best

I vote for that show poster.

Re: The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best

It's gonna be a clifff hanger between Quarry and World Peace. Fantastic thread.

"World Peace" will win. Just look at how many people joined in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. These good people, who tend to be very young, have limited knowledge of the other albums listed. It is also natural to want the album of your own time to be the best. Quarry is better but for the reasons I noted "World Peace" is going to top this poll.

Once I have listened to WPINOYB , I will tell you......

Cheers Moz

too early to say but from what i've heard so far World peace has some very skippable tracks, (some gems in there too) but Quarry, track-for-track is consistently stronger IMO, (opinion subject to change)

Quarry is the best, no question. I also think that Years Of Refusal is massively underrated. The songs are not bad at all, but the album suffers from being too loud and too compressed ... it's a victim of the loudness war, which is a real shame!

quarry #4
rott #3
YOR #2

WPINOYB #?.... will vote when i hear it. ROTT would get #2 if it weren't recorded at the bottom of a well.

"World Peace" will win. Just look at how many people joined in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. These good people, who tend to be very young, have limited knowledge of the other albums listed. It is also natural to want the album of your own time to be the best. Quarry is better but for the reasons I noted "World Peace" is going to top this poll.

I joined in 2014 but have been a fan since ’98 :)

I think it's way too early for this kind of question, but if you want my premature opinion:

I've never liked Quarry, and YOR still strikes me as mostly mediocre.
I've always preferred ROTT to the both of them... 2006 is "my time" for post-millennial Morrissey albums, but I'd still pick WPINOYB over it.

I didn't discover Morrissey in 2011. My choice has got nothing to do with my join date here, and everything to do with the album seeming much better than two albums I've never had an incredibly positive opinion of, and and improvement over the one album I've always regarded pretty highly.

Ask me again in a year, though. The "honeymoon phase" ain't over in less than a week of hearing the new album, no matter how sure I am that it's his best of the last four. Opinions change over time. I've actually been meaning to listen to all four in one sitting, particularly focusing on YATQ. Maybe I'll find something I like in it after a long time of not hearing it.

Until then:
#1 WPINOYB
#2 ROTT
#3 YOR
#4 YATQ

I do agree that it’s too early. I have a feeling that in 2009 when YOR came out everyone was singing a similar tune (I love that album too)

I do think it's crucial since when you are a Morrissey fan.

In 2004 zeitgeist was in favour of Morrissey.....all the emerging indie bands parising him, citing him as influence etc....massive NME/music press support. Still when i heard Quarry i was hugely disappointed. The production is terrible, and looking back it's possibly the only dated-sounding Morrissey record (I'm not sorry....I like you....bleurgh). Same old chord sequences.....it's easily the worst in his post-2000 canon. But since the press hailed it as a return to form, it stuck in pur memory as a good record. It isn't.

World peace took me by surprise. It's far better.

A fan since 1988.

it's possibly the only dated-sounding Morrissey record (I'm not sorry....I like you....bleurgh)

The only thing that sounds dated on YATQ are the synths, and they sounded dated already when the album was released ten years ago. Apart from that, it doesn't sound dated at all!

Far too many of the drum patterns on Quarry sound like late 90's Alterna-Rock/Jungle-inspired holdovers.
The synths sound like your typical cheesy late 90's-early 00's virtual analogs, which were all over music in that period.

The MicroKorg came out in the early 2000's, and suddenly every "Indie" band was an "Indie-lectro" band. It's made me hate the things.

At least the more overtly 80's-sounding synths on WPINOYB sound like proper "vintage digital" synths, not cheap VA's or the uber-90's ROMplers (the later of which are all over Maladjusted), though a lot of the sounds seem like they come from VSTi's in a DAW... they all have their idiosyncrasies, and they're all hard to describe, but it's not hard to "feel" them when you hear them. More to the point, there's really nothing wrong with any them, I'm only trying to make the point that the synths on Quarry are very much dated, but they were not dated for 2004. They were all the rage back then.

Last edited:

yeah have to agree that yatq has some good productions choices and quality.

havent heard world peace.. yet so ill throw in swords

1. yatq

2. swords

3. yor

4. rott

im hoping world peace will top it all of course

Far too many of the drum patterns on Quarry sound like late 90's Alterna-Rock/Jungle-inspired holdovers.
The synths sound like your typical cheesy late 90's-early 00's virtual analogs, which were all over music in that period.

The MicroKorg came out in the early 2000's, and suddenly every "Indie" band was an "Indie-lectro" band. It's made me hate the things.

At least the more overtly 80's-sounding synths on WPINOYB sound like proper "vintage digital" synths, not cheap VA's or the uber-90's ROMplers (the later of which are all over Maladjusted), though a lot of the sounds seem like they come from VSTi's in a DAW... they all have their idiosyncrasies, and they're all hard to describe, but it's not hard to "feel" them when you hear them. More to the point, there's really nothing wrong with any them, I'm only trying to make the point that the synths on Quarry are very much dated, but they were not dated for 2004. They were all the rage back then.

Exactly, what i meant, too. Also about the drums: very lame processed sounds.

But my point stands: no other Morrissey solo record sounds that badly dated than YATQ. And of course no point to start arguements about the quality of the songs, it's a question of taste. I still maintain it's not half as good record is as critics said. It's just the great combination of factors that helped Morrissey in 2004.

I do think it's crucial since when you are a Morrissey fan.

In 2004 zeitgeist was in favour of Morrissey.....all the emerging indie bands parising him, citing him as influence etc....massive NME/music press support. Still when i heard Quarry i was hugely disappointed. The production is terrible, and looking back it's possibly the only dated-sounding Morrissey record (I'm not sorry....I like you....bleurgh). Same old chord sequences.....it's easily the worst in his post-2000 canon. But since the press hailed it as a return to form, it stuck in pur memory as a good record. It isn't.

World peace took me by surprise. It's far better.

A fan since 1988.

I agree with you completely apart from your comment about the press hailing it a return to form.
They didn't. It got the worst critical score of any album since Maladjusted, and rightly so.
It's got one genuinely brilliant single (and lots of great b-sides) but the rest of it is pretty dire. Well moderately dire, musically, and hugely dire, lyrically.
It's only the simple folk in Morrissey fan land who consider it a classic. If you can overlook the clumsy, crap lyrics to Irish Blood (I can't), you could argue it had two great singles. The singles did brilliantly (all top 10), the album outsold all others including Smiths, and the hype was phenomenal (mainly due to first album in 7 years).
But as a collection of songs, the critics were right - it's his worst of the 21st century.

Exactly, what i meant, too. Also about the drums: very lame processed sounds.

But my point stands: no other Morrissey solo record sounds that badly dated than YATQ. And of course no point to start arguements about the quality of the songs, it's a question of taste. I still maintain it's not half as good record is as critics said. It's just the great combination of factors that helped Morrissey in 2004.

Oh, yeah. I agree with you, Anonymoose. I was responding to Oso's post with that.

I agree with you completely apart from your comment about the press hailing it a return to form.
They didn't. It got the worst critical score of any album since Maladjusted, and rightly so.
It's got one genuinely brilliant single (and lots of great b-sides) but the rest of it is pretty dire. Well moderately dire, musically, and hugely dire, lyrically.
It's only the simple folk in Morrissey fan land who consider it a classic. If you can overlook the clumsy, crap lyrics to Irish Blood (I can't), you could argue it had two great singles. The singles did brilliantly (all top 10), the album outsold all others including Smiths, and the hype was phenomenal (mainly due to first album in 7 years).
But as a collection of songs, the critics were right - it's his worst of the 21st century.

Who you callin’ simple!??!? :)

Worst reviews since Maladjusted? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_the_Quarry

Hmmm, WAAAAY off. Why don't you use google first before you open your mouth, twit!

BTW, I agree with you, I hate everything Maladjusted and after, the music sounds like Green Day, serious Blink-182, and every other slick generic altpunkpop/altadultcontemporary garbage that was popular at the time. WPINOYB is the return to form by Moz. The expanded edition is the best song collection he has put out since Bona Drag.

Back
Top Bottom