The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best?

The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best?

• Total voters
Re: The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best

Is anyone else captivated by the head to head battle between YATQ and WPINOYB?

Captivated that other people are having that battle or captivated because we’re having that battle ourselves?

Re: The dust has settled, the honeymoon is over. So, which of MORRISSEY's last 4 albums is his best

Is anyone else captivated by the head to head battle between YATQ and WPINOYB?

Not especially. I think most of us expected the results would look the way they do.

Quarry is the best, no question. I also think that Years Of Refusal is massively underrated. The songs are not bad at all, but the album suffers from being too loud and too compressed ... it's a victim of the loudness war, which is a real shame!

Loudness? I think that's the way Morrissey wanted it to sound, its a rock album after all!

Not especially. I think most of us expected the results would look the way they do.

Well they're my top two with WPINOYB coming out on top. I expected they would be the top two but I didn't think it would be so close.

I must be one of the few that feels like Quarry is the least best out of his past 4. For some reason I just didn't get it like others do. Just felt clunky in patches to me. Lately I've been giving it more of a go and I'm liking it better, but World Peace certainly feels the most immediate to me. I love love love it. I feel like this is the album he tried to make with Visconti when they did Ringleaders but didn't quite manage. I hope this does well for him if only because it seems there is much more to come which frankly surprises me.

I must be one of the few that feels like Quarry is the least best out of his past 4.
There needs to be a support group or a hotline for people like us.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

WPINOYB has officially surpassed Quarry. Wow. I don’t know if that surprises me more, or the fact that ROTT and YOR had so few votes.

OK stupid question here but for all of you who've voted for World Peace, have you all heard it through downloading it? Or did some of you get into the listening party? Radio stations? Some other way? Salacious stories welcome.

I'll have to weigh in this week when I pick it up at Tower Records in Tokyo! (Morrissey loves that there's still a brick & mortar presence here).

Also, is this poll comparing the Deluxe edition to the regular editions of the other albums? In that case perhaps b-sides should be lumped for Quarry, Ringleader and Years.

OK stupid question here but for all of you who've voted for World Peace, have you all heard it through downloading it? Or did some of you get into the listening party? Radio stations? Some other way? Salacious stories welcome.

I'll have to weigh in this week when I pick it up at Tower Records in Tokyo! (Morrissey loves that there's still a brick & mortar presence here).

Also, is this poll comparing the Deluxe edition to the regular editions of the other albums? In that case perhaps b-sides should be lumped for Quarry, Ringleader and Years.

Lucky! I miss Tower so much. Granted when it was around I did not buy vinyl, but CD’s, which I now no longer do (only digital and vinyl) but the one near me in NE Philadelphia used to be open til midnight on Friday and Saturday. I have so many memories of leaving work on Friday night w/ my friend at 9:30 and making the 20 minute trek to the North East Philly to browse CDs.

As strong as it is, the new album continues the trend for me of finding tracks I regularly skip, right from the outset. This goes back to Maladusted. In fact, the only Morrissey albums that pass the "skip test" for me (excepting Bona Drag) are the studio trifecta from 1992-1995.

As strong as it is, the new album continues the trend for me of finding tracks I regularly skip, right from the outset. This goes back to Maladusted. In fact, the only Morrissey albums that pass the "skip test" for me (excepting Bona Drag) are the studio trifecta from 1992-1995.

Jamie, are there some things on the new album which could have benefited with Alain's influence? I like the new direction the band has taken but I couldn't help but thinking what Alain could have contributed to the new material, if given the chance. I think he could have offered some really good gems

Fan since 2004 here. I don't think the year you joined the following has anything to do with it. My personal all time favourite is Your Arsenal, but out of those four, it was YATQ no 1, then ROTT, then YOR, but WPINOYB is definitely the best of his post 2000 albums. A real genuine return to form. It's not that YOR is bad, but it only has 2 or 3 stand out tracks to me.

Deluxe. I think it is his best collection of songs since Bona Drag. The only skippers for me are Earth Is, The Bullfighter, Scandinavia, Drag The River. There are a few songs that need the ambient intros or outros lopped off, and some need a couple of brakes, bridges, or verses removed, but the actual songs are great.

I tried to resist for at least five entire minutes, but yes, I succumbed to the lure of a leaked download (deluxe edition). I already have it pre-ordered in three editions with a fourth to hopefully be added, so I'm trying not to feel too guilty! If you want to hear it now through legitimate channels, there are several sites legally streaming it now—check the main page.

I also miss Tower Records terribly! The last Moz album I remember buying there is Your Arsenal. Here I am at the one in Greenwich Village in 1992…

towernyc.jpg

^^^^^^
I love that pic. It hits right in the gut of days long gone but that the heart will remember forever. I am reminded of the "Everyday is Like Sunday" video and the 1992 "Your Arsenal" photos Linder took. I have the memories from that time but no photos. Thanks very much for sharing this.

Worst reviews since Maladjusted? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_the_Quarry

Hmmm, WAAAAY off. Why don't you use google first before you open your mouth, twit!

BTW, I agree with you, I hate everything Maladjusted and after, the music sounds like Green Day, serious Blink-182, and every other slick generic altpunkpop/altadultcontemporary garbage that was popular at the time. WPINOYB is the return to form by Moz. The expanded edition is the best song collection he has put out since Bona Drag.

Are you crazy? Vauxhall IS the crowning glory, if his new album(expanded or not) is better than Vauxhall then I will be very happy.

I love that pic. It hits right in the gut of days long gone but that the heart will remember forever. I am reminded of the "Everyday is Like Sunday" video and the 1992 "Your Arsenal" photos Linder took. I have the memories from that time but no photos. Thanks very much for sharing this.

Oh, you're welcome! I'm glad you like it. It was taken by a penpal I met through the Morri'zine. He came from Florida to visit me in New York the summer Your Arsenal was released. I remember I'd just gotten my first CD player, and it was VERY exciting to buy a new Morrissey album on CD! Tower gave me a bunch of those 12" flats they used to use for displays, too. I still have 'em. (And my penpal moved here a few years later!)

But that's enough nostalgia! It's really wonderful to be feeling so much emotional excitement about WPINOYB. It's already taken a firm hold on my heart. I'll be sure to take an updated photo with the record when it arrives. :)

^^^^
You still have your flats! Mine went by the wayside in a 'must get rid of stuff that is 20 years old or more' purge (so wrong, I know).
But I do have all my posters...some sat in tubes for 20 years (I'm really big on framing; some would say use thumb tacks and get big on living).
There can never be enough nostalgia. :) I'm glad this album does it for you. I know that feeling...

Overly familiar with YATQ and underly familiar with WPINOYB so I voted for ROTT. Very underrated collection of songs.

Back
Top Bottom