The Durutti Column

Did you ever wish for a Morrissey/Reilly collaboration album?

• Total voters
D

DAVIE

I may have done a thread on The Durruti Column already, but I can't find it to update it. If the mods ever come across it, then you are free to merge it :)

Anyway, the good news is that he's releasing a big musical project which can be found here
http://music.kookydisc.co.uk/2014/04/chronicle-durutti-column-final-details.html

The other bit of good news is that Vini is actually performing on 21st May! I think we knew he would never give up on the guitar! A proper fighter!
The bad news is that it sold out pretty quick, but he may perform sometime in the near future. Who knows!

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have done a thread on The Durruti Column already, but I can't find it to update it. If the mods ever come across it, then you are free to merge it :)

Anyway, the good news is that he's releasing a big musical project which can be found here
http://music.kookydisc.co.uk/2014/04/chronicle-durutti-column-final-details.html

There other bit of good news is that Vini is actually performing on 21st May! I think we knew he would never give up on the guitar! A proper fighter!
The bad news is that it sold out pretty quick, but he may perform sometime in the near future. Who knows!

That's tremendous that Vini is performing on May 21st. I thought that he was having problems with his hands and wasn't able to play the guitar anymore. I remember on the main page, a couple of months ago, there was an article about Vini and his life now. I'm ashamed to say that I saved that article to my "Favorites" but still haven't read it. I did read the intro, and some comments, and thought Vini sadly said that he couldn't write music or perform anymore. I need to read the article. This is wonderful news, as is the fact that he's releasing a big musical project. I don't have time to read that article right now but will do so late this Thursday's evening. I hope Vini is able to come to the States and perform as well. He's someone I would journey a long way to see!

I very much doubt he will ever tour again and nobody knows if he is capable or even wants to write another album. But one off performances must be a possibility for him. Even if it's a couple of songs, I'm sure people would still attend. He could even do supports.

It'd be great to see him and Morrissey perform a couple of songs from "Viva Hate" together. Maybe when Morrissey tours Britain and Europe. Did Vini play guitar on some of the songs on "Bona Drag"? I think he did. I doubt Morrissey would be willing to do this because he always remains so fiercely loyal to his current band. I doubt Boz or Jesse would mind at all, they'd probably enjoy seeing it themselves. I know Moz and Vini never really had a falling out, so I guess it's possible this could occur. If Moz is willing, and Vini is willing and able, then they should go for it.

I had heard of the Durutti Column, but up until 8 or 9 months ago, I had never heard any of Vini's Durutti tunes. Someone on the "What Are You Listening to Now" thread posted "Never Known," and instantly I clicked with the music. Literally, in a minute & a half, the music clicked for me. I went to my local record shop, and found a copy of "LC," and bought it. I was surprised they had a copy. I've listened to it probably a hundred times since, especially in my car driving around and playing it Loud. Exceptional album. "Never Known" is either my second or third favorite tune on the album. Here it is....

"Never Known" by The Durutti Column

-One of the greatest songs of all-time, by anyone. An absolute masterpiece!

Love it Justin and yes, he did play on some songs on Bona Drag. I can't see Morrissey doing anything with him soon though. He's probably forgot all about him since they probably haven't met each other since those sessions. Vini did help kick start Morrissey's solo career though :rolleyes:

Love it Justin and yes, he did play on some songs on Bona Drag. I can't see Morrissey doing anything with him soon though. He's probably forgot all about him since they probably haven't met each other since those sessions. Vini did help kick start Morrissey's solo career though :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope Morrissey hasn't forgotten him. I agree Davie, Vini was a big part in kick starting Morrissey's career. Plus, Vini wrote an instrumental dedicated to Morrissey entitled, "For Steven Patrick." I just found it on YouTube! It was posted by Aly Stevenson and she writes," Short but stunningly beautiful instrumental arrangement from Vini Reilly's "The Sporadic Recordings," dedicated to (Steven Patrick) Morrissey." Aly also writes, "As per the sleeve notes: for Steven Patrick, with love and affection." Wow!

This is my first time listening to this song. It's Gorgeous....

"For Steven Patrick" by Vini Reilly

This is well just lovely. If you listen closely it could well have been a Morrissey b-side.

Back
Top Bottom