The dreadful state of UK ticket sales

I recently wrote a brief exploration of how drastically Morrissey's ticket sale figures have plummeted in the UK, with special attention given to the startlingly low sales for the upcoming Leeds gig.

With two weeks to go until the show, huge quantities of seats remain unsold in some of the best blocks in the venue while standing floor tickets also remain.

Full article can be seen online here.

1*LsogXWhUXkVhjvajZMKTgw.jpeg

Lot of denial here. The people I'm going with to Wembley are all going with similar mixed feelings i have. It's obvious his stupid behaviour is the main reason behind the lousy ticket sales. That said the dog shit LIHS album didn't help either. He was riding such a wave from You are the Quarry onwards - before that he was playing places like Nottingham Rock City (2k capacity) where I saw him in 1999. Him voted Top 3 favourite living Brit by BBC, Favourite Manc by MEN seems amazing now. Realistically he should be playing Brixton Academy - stretching to two nights if selling.

No, what's stupid is stating something as being a fact, when clearly, none of what you said was factual at all. What you or people 'think' isn't a fact, is it?
Take the Mar out your name mate. Craven apologist.

No, what's stupid is stating something as being a fact, when clearly, none of what you said was factual at all. What you or people 'think' isn't a fact, is it?

Okay then if you’re gonna get so caught up int he language. The fact is that tickets aren’t selling well that’s a fact. The fact is Morrissey has loud controversial opinions that have pissed people off (newspaper articles, people in this forum and others saying saying so, celebrity responses). Those are facts. Then what I’m saying is that there’s likely a link between the two.

I love Morrissey’s music, I even like some of his views. I have tickets to the show at Leeds so I wish it were selling better. Doesn’t mean I can’t look at things objectively and see they’re not ideal.

Okay then if you’re gonna get so caught up int he language. The fact is that tickets aren’t selling well that’s a fact. The fact is Morrissey has loud controversial opinions that have pissed people off (newspaper articles, people in this forum and others saying saying so, celebrity responses). Those are facts. Then what I’m saying is that there’s likely a link between the two.

I love Morrissey’s music, I even like some of his views. I have tickets to the show at Leeds so I wish it were selling better. Doesn’t mean I can’t look at things objectively and see they’re not ideal.

I would just simply say that some of what you/others are saying is one possibility as to the less than optimum ticket sales. Some people dislike his views, others like/agree with his views, others admire his consistency of message, & his courage to send that message. I hope Leeds goes well, & I'm sure that regardless of the actual physical numbers, you & the rest will have a great evening, & one to treasure. He won't be around doing this forever. Enjoy.

No, you're just trying to be provocative.
Even you, back earlier in this very thread, recently admitted c.7500 had been sold, & stated there were c.1k unsold at that time.
13k was never on the cards as well you know....that's why the top tier was never opened up for sale, which, using your own figures, then knocked c.5k off max capacity....so we're down to max capacity c.8/8.5k already.
It makes total sense for the arena to consolidate the crowd in the way they have.
You're just re-posting drivel to add negativity to the thread, & to get reactions.

Why do you assume i'm trying to be provocative. 2 years ago he sold 85 to 90% of this venues capacity, this year its less than 50%. Something has changed, what do you think it is?

I don't see the point of dwelling on it, unless you enjoy the drama. Showbiz is fickle, it's also a long-game. Ups & downs add to the legend, unless it's something catastrophic & because he's right in his own quirky, undiplomatic, extremist way - it's not going to be catastrophic. Sooner or later he'll be redeemed or rediscovered. Everything that stops him consistently being a stadium act, will be the thing that drives interest in him in the future, long after some of the behemoths are forgotten.

Surface, you're speculating again...if he's sold 7.5k then that's not 50% is it?
We've discussed this to the nth degree...it is what it is. No point labouring it is there?
It'll be a great night for those who attend.
No more analysis required. It serves no-one...apart from the dissenters.

others admire his consistency of message

What consistency of message?

On race, animal rights, sexual violence, sexuality, feminism and politics he is, and has always been, all over the place. He hits a more consistent message regarding animal rights but even here he makes gaffs and has attempted to exploit his support for commercial gain – as currently discussed in current threads.
Ticket/record sales are a litmus to popularity and in recent years Morrissey has struggled. One recent UK tour cancelled due to poor tickets sales. A US tour were only one venue sold out. The upcoming UK shows have sold very badly with Leeds a disaster. The upcoming USA dates have still to sell out or come close to it.
Records sales have also been extremely poor so much so that Morrissey heralded a number 5 chart position, for California Son, in Poland as a victory.

Lacklustre albums don’t help any artist and Morrissey has provided nothing but since You Are the Quarry (although I did enjoy a lot of Low in High School). This definitely has to be a factor in people going to see him live.

The reason that album and tickets sales are so poor is that, following his race-related tantrums of 2017 onwards, he has disenfranchised a hugely significant number of loyal fans. People who followed him all over the world. People who went to multiple gigs. People who bought every version of every release. Few of these UK diehard fans remain which is why Morrissey/Smiths nights have been abandoned across the UK.

The deluded can make whatever excuses they feel they must in support of Morrissey but there is a clear path that leads directly to his ongoing downfall and that path leads to his political and race-related statements of 2017.

I don't see the point of dwelling on it, unless you enjoy the drama. Showbiz is fickle, it's also a long-game. Ups & downs add to the legend, unless it's something catastrophic & because he's right in his own quirky, undiplomatic, extremist way - it's not going to be catastrophic. Sooner or later he'll be redeemed or rediscovered. Everything that stops him consistently being a stadium act, will be the thing that drives interest in him in the future, long after some of the behemoths are forgotten.

Let's not dwell on it, eh? Let's not ask questions? Let's not shine a spotlight? Who knows what might be found? It'll all blow over! This from someone who seems to know little of how controversy sticks to Morrissey. From someone who possibly wasn't even born in 1991 and who clearly has no real sense of how things changed and continued to colour people's view of him. Someone who claims his "extremism" isn't going to be "catastrophic" yet his career is currently in freefall as fans vote with their minds, hearts, feet and money. Someone who hasn't quite grasped that Morrissey has been a consistent "stadium act" for a considerable period of time; a stadium act that has now fallen out of favour.

There is no return from this. Too many fans have gone. I suspect if he ever tours the UK again it'll be in considerably smaller venues.

Surface, you're speculating again...if he's sold 7.5k then that's not 50% is it?
We've discussed this to the nth degree...it is what it is. No point labouring it is there?
It'll be a great night for those who attend.
No more analysis required. It serves no-one...apart from the dissenters.

Take your rose tinted glasses off and read the previous posts, they have now closed off more sections of the arena, taking the capacity down even further to max capacity of about 6000. Even at 6k all the tickets have not sold.

The c.7.5k figure was one cited by yourself in a previous post, & was the basis for what I've posted...so make your mind up, either he'd sold 7.5k at the time you alluded to it, or he hadn't.​
No-one will actually know until the attendance figures are in, so all you're doing here is being argumentative & bumping your gums. Let the end stats speak for themselves, at which point you will either be proved right (& give yourself a pat on the head), or wrong, (& come back & face your embarrassment). I don't actually care. Those attending will have a great night.​

Your level of delusion is quite spectacular. Since the autumn of 2017, Morrissey has made the national news (front pages of newspaper websites, including the BBC) no fewer than 6 times, each time relating to his alleged far-right, Islamophobic, racist, or downright idiotic views. Had it happened once or possibly twice, it could probably have been forgotten about, and his previous image as an anti-royalist, anti-Thatcher, pro animal-rights, vegetarian singer from the Smiths would have prevailed amongst the public. Now, in popular culture, his name has simply become a byword for racist, right-wing bigotry. If he's ever mentioned in passing, e.g. on a panel show (as often happens), this is his enduring public image. He's no longer mocked for being a miserable celibate vegetarian - he's just a right-wing racist. You know and I know that he is not a genuine far-right extremist but as long as he continues his formal, unequivocal support for a far-right political party, the public image will become ever more entrenched.

The c.7.5k figure was one cited by yourself in a previous post, & was the basis for what I've posted...so make your mind up, either he'd sold 7.5k at the time you alluded to it, or he hadn't.​

No-one will actually know until the attendance figures are in, so all you're doing here is being argumentative & bumping your gums. Let the end stats speak for themselves, at which point you will either be proved right (& give yourself a pat on the head), or wrong, (& come back & face your embarrassment). I don't actually care. Those attending will have a great night.​

No, there was a possibility he could have sold that amount, since then they have closed off further sections of the arena, making it impossible for amount of people to attend. The 4 Las Vegas dated also don't have the top tier available? You still haven't answered the question on why his popularity has dived so much since 18?

Ignore the ignorant skinny troll drone :poop:
all shows are sold out or will be sold out by show time:lbf:

meanwhile NO the round dorks have cancelled several shows and
Drama Le Pew is still in line to sell 500 tix to any solo show of his own
the loser knobs:ROFLMAO:

No, there was a possibility he could have sold that amount, since then they have closed off further sections of the arena, making it impossible for amount of people to attend. The 4 Las Vegas dated also don't have the top tier available? You still haven't answered the question on why his popularity has dived so much since 18?
I will answer it for him!

The main article to this thread is right on the money but it's not just the UK. Tickets are selling poorly in the US too. Not one venue has sold out. Not one!
That’s crazy! I hadn’t kept up on any of these shows because I’m not going but had a look on TM out of curiosity. All the Vegas shows look to be selling pretty poorly, other than the front-centre section, and they aren’t even opening the upper meze at the venue. Even more shocking thigh is that neither Hammerstein or the Apollo are are even close to sold out, which would normally be unheard of 5+ years ago.

:thumb: That's gonna upset a few folk. Just think of all those "what Morrissey meant was ....", What he's actually saying is ...." that will fly in your direction.

I was thinking of self-isolating. Couldn't think where? I decided to buy a ticket for Leeds Arena on Friday. Should be nice and quiet there.

That’s crazy! I hadn’t kept up on any of these shows because I’m not going but had a look on TM out of curiosity. All the Vegas shows look to be selling pretty poorly, other than the front-centre section, and they aren’t even opening the upper meze at the venue. Even more shocking thigh is that neither Hammerstein or the Apollo are are even close to sold out, which would normally be unheard of 5+ years ago.
:thumb:

Have it on good authority that Leeds very likely to be cancelled

Tags
morrissey racism ticketmaster tour

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom