The dreadful state of UK ticket sales

I recently wrote a brief exploration of how drastically Morrissey's ticket sale figures have plummeted in the UK, with special attention given to the startlingly low sales for the upcoming Leeds gig.

With two weeks to go until the show, huge quantities of seats remain unsold in some of the best blocks in the venue while standing floor tickets also remain.

Full article can be seen online here.

1*LsogXWhUXkVhjvajZMKTgw.jpeg

I doubt many would argue but why put the comnent here? Surely it should be applied equally across all threads?
FatGayVegan Troll article worthy of front page? Apparently.
Where's the front page article showing Paris sold out?

^^ So out of a missiv full of shit, this is the most relevant part.^^

After snipping I had to hose the rest of your shite off the scissors with a jet wash.

If you no longer follow him why even post anything at all?

Oh, I see, too much time on your hands yet again, skinny. FFS.

Bring on your next guest speaker please.

The relevant point is that you are trolling a website, as a Morrissey 'fan', when Morrissey has pleased with fans not to. You are therefore NOT following Morrissey.

I don't know what everyone else thinks racism means but I do know it when I hear it/read it/see it. Morrissey has uttered some guarded racist statements in the past but is now quite blatant. People can argue that that's not what he meant or that he has issues. I don't care. Whether he meant it or not it is still racist language and his use of it makes it more acceptable. Ignorance is no excuse for racism. Just look at how the racist language in this forum has sky-rocketed since 2017. That's a direct result, I believe, of Morrissey 'normalising' racism because of statements that he made - not interviews - statements.

When people, like Morrissey, say something like 'racism' has lost it's meaning that's a nail in the coffin for me. To attempt to demean the experiences of people who have fallen victim to racism is unacceptable and unforgiveable, in my view. His views of sexual violence falls into the same category for me, unforgiveable.

I had been with Morrissey from '83 till 2017. He meant a great deal to me and I genuinely do appreciate how difficult it is or can be to walk away. A huge part of my social network was related to The Smiths and Morrissey - over a very long period of time. I'm now only aware of 2 of those who continue to follow Morrissey. That dove-tails nicely in to the subject of this thread and why so many previous long-term fans will not attend the upcoming gigs. I gave all my Smiths/Morrissey stuff (as an avid collector there was a lot of it) to a local animal charity - that was a tough day but, for me, it was the right thing to do. I'm not suggesting anyone else do that.

I can't hate or be angry that people still follow Morrissey - that's got nothing to do with me - but I don't believe because I no longer follow him that my views are somehow invalid.

If Morrissey were to apologise for his comments and associations I'd be back on that tour (the only country I haven't seen him in is Australia). I know an apology is never going to happen but a little part of me won't ever stop hoping.
I know an apology for your slander is never going to happen but a little part of me won’t ever stop hoping.

I’m with you to be honest. Seen him over 200 times, got loads of records and CDs, but bad times these. Anyone offering different, crack on, but don’t attack others for leaving.
It’s never going to be the same, and dress it up as you like, the sales are poor. mill do these 4, but beyond that, I doubt it. :thumb:

Let's try to gain a little perspective on this shall we?

Morrissey hates Morrissey Solo. He hates it!

That begs the question: if you describe yourself as a fan, why are you here!?

Why do you spend your days trolling a platform that your 'idol' hates? A platform he has pleaded with you to ignore?

If you only want to hear what Morrissey has to say, on any given subject, then you have Central.

If you want a 'wider' debate you have Solo.

If your hope is that Solo will miraculously tranform itself in a Morrissey love-fest you are quite mistaken.

If you don't like Solo, leave. Just go!
Because amongst the retards there are people like FWD

So, in relation to FDA Leeds, looking at the maths, & the expectation from Moz, the maximum expected amount of seats sales would only have ever been 8.5k (the 65% allocation). Anything above this would be considered a bonus.

If, & with the strong caveat of basing things on hearsay posted on here, by the good & the bad, he's currently sold 7.5k, & with the chance of this increasing between now & the day of the concert, then I would not class this as a "dreadful state of UK ticket sales" as per this misleading, maligning, provocative & click-baiting thread title...it is actually meeting expectation.

It appears to me that this FatGayVegan has just posted this to put himself, & his cause(s), in the limelight, in much the same way as that Glasgow record shop (Monorail Music) tried to do.

I think FGV has achieved his limelight moment, but actually failed quite spectacularly in his wider mission to undermine Moz, & the mini-tour.

Thank you for clearing this up. In his failed attempt to validate his uselessness and to generate traffic on his desperate blog, The FatGayVegan will now slither back up his poop hole, with the rest of the festering celebratory troll-hate-mongers, for a brief setback, but only for a micro second, before they're back with their usual diarrhetic expulsion.

There are still tickets available for the Paris date, hence why there hasn't been a story about it selling out.

The venue has 1,913 seats and 38 seated tickets remain available, spread across the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rows.

morrissey paris seats.jpg

I am surprised that Morrissey is touring the UK at all. I don't find the content of the article surprising, though, as someone who has been a fan of Morrissey since the days of The Smiths, I find it sad. It wasn't so long ago that Mozzer was second only to Attenborough as a national icon and could persuade Penguin to print his autobiography as a classic. It's really an extraordinary turn of events - whatever one thinks of the Moz - and I am tempted to call it 'surreal', though that would be an abuse of an already overused term. I sometimes wonder if Morrissey couldn't stand to be, in some sense, an insider. 'You Know I Couldn't Last' was not just a prediction, but a kind of itinerary of the unconscious, welling up, setting a fatal course. Along with, for instance, 'I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now' and 'Friday Mourning'.

Part of me - a significant part - admires the very fact that he could not forever allow a load of smug, cosy, well-adjusted people who were never really outsiders treat him as their own smug, cosy mascot for hip faux-misfit status.

Although I don't think the listed statements are, on the whole, very clever, it's not as if we don't know that there are decent points to be made in this area, and Moz is one of the very, very few in Celebrity Land having a stab at it. I mean, the Metoo movement was obsessed with the Weinstein business, but when it comes to literally thousands of poor underaged girls in Britain being gang-raped over decades, funnily enough, it's crickets. That's more outrageous than anything that Morrissey has ever said.

Finally:

"How has his core base dwindled during these years of right wing dalliances and openly offensive statements?"

Openly offensive statements? As opposed to the secretly offensive statements that he was making before? What kind of slimy, contemptible pillock talks (or writes) this way? Oh... I remember, maybe half the UK now. This nation has become so spineless and mealy-mouthed. Anything to save appearances. Even down to thousands of children being raped. Rather that than stir up a race issue - that would be offensive.
This is a thoughtful post and I agree with most of it. I agree with you that the rape of these children and the way it was ignored by the police in your country needs to be discussed so that it can never happen again.
But you're really reaching when you bring the #MeToo movement into this. One major problem here is that Morrissey had made statements about rape by immigrants but supported Weinstein and Spacey in that Der Spiegel interview.
You probably don't want to go there. It really opens the door on some things that maybe were covertly offensive.
Remember that the Bataclan incident and the Ariana Grande concert incidents were treated by Morrissey in a very different way than the Breivik attack.
Aside from seeing the Paris attacks as a missed opportunity to have a "guaranteed number one" record Morrissey seemed shocked along with the rest of us, that concertgoers could be randomly attacked this way. I think it affects all of us because musical events are part of our community and that community is worldwide and crosses national, political, and religious boundaries.
But when a white nationalist lunatic murders a bunch of liberal students, "is nothing" compared to what happens at McDonald's and KFC every day.
I think part of the reason a lot of longtime fans did turn on him is because he was saying things for a long time that were sort of ambiguous, and personally I missed the meaning of some of it. I think it's fair to talk about the overtly vs covertly offensive statements.
Here is what I think it really important. I answered your post because I want you to know that I do share your feelings about these grooming gangs or whatever they're being called. I also support the MeToo movement.
Your country does seem to have a problem with being so afraid of being perceived as racist in any way that the perception becomes far more important than the reality. This leads to the problem you're talking about where the police ignored information. I'm in the US and I wouldn't try to suggest how that can be fixed. I just want you to know that I do see it and I don't think I'm alone in that.
It does need to be fixed.
In the US we have sort of acknowledged that racism exists and that we're all affected by it. I think that's part of the process of working towards some solution.
Please don't make the mistake though of creating this imaginary group of people who support MeToo but think discussion of gangs of immigrants raping children is racist. Yes, some of those people exist, but try to look at people as individuals and not assign beliefs to a mass group.
I think you're right that Morrissey's fall from grace has happened very quickly and you're fair in calling his statements "not very clever." At the same time it is possible that he has maybe been more damaged by the fallout than he would have been if the media didn't look for these sorts of statements and use them to define a person's entire existence. He doesn't serve himself well by making some of the comments and he ought to know by now that he's providing the media with the means to crucify him.
I think it's also true that sometimes a thing can be said in anger like the comment about the Chinese, and then take on a life of its own. I can't defend the comments though. He works with language. I don't think he chose "subspecies" carelessly. I think it's one of those examples that the article is talking about when they say he's being more open about his offensive views.
Summary is that we agree on some of the issues and I liked your post. I just think we all should be careful about making assumptions.

Maybe that article will be on the front page WHEN Paris sells out, which it hasn't. You really are shite at finding tickets online. Urgh!

There are still tickets available for the Paris date, hence why there hasn't been a story about it selling out.

The venue has 1,913 seats and 38 seated tickets remain available, spread across the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rows.

View attachment 54584

The lazy bastards know this FGV. They just wanted someone else to do the donkey work. They NEVER provide FACTS but ALWAYS demand them.

I know an apology for your slander is never going to happen but a little part of me won’t ever stop hoping.

Erm, slander? That's really stupid. Morrissey hasn't challenged any of the recent racist accusations in the press - interviews or analysis of his statements - because he can't. Tsk!

This is a thoughtful post and I agree with most of it. I agree with you that the rape of these children and the way it was ignored by the police in your country needs to be discussed so that it can never happen again.
But you're really reaching when you bring the #MeToo movement into this. One major problem here is that Morrissey had made statements about rape by immigrants but supported Weinstein and Spacey in that Der Spiegel interview.
You probably don't want to go there. It really opens the door on some things that maybe were covertly offensive.
Remember that the Bataclan incident and the Ariana Grande concert incidents were treated by Morrissey in a very different way than the Breivik attack.
Aside from seeing the Paris attacks as a missed opportunity to have a "guaranteed number one" record Morrissey seemed shocked along with the rest of us, that concertgoers could be randomly attacked this way. I think it affects all of us because musical events are part of our community and that community is worldwide and crosses national, political, and religious boundaries.
But when a white nationalist lunatic murders a bunch of liberal students, "is nothing" compared to what happens at McDonald's and KFC every day.
I think part of the reason a lot of longtime fans did turn on him is because he was saying things for a long time that were sort of ambiguous, and personally I missed the meaning of some of it. I think it's fair to talk about the overtly vs covertly offensive statements.
Here is what I think it really important. I answered your post because I want you to know that I do share your feelings about these grooming gangs or whatever they're being called. I also support the MeToo movement.
Your country does seem to have a problem with being so afraid of being perceived as racist in any way that the perception becomes far more important than the reality. This leads to the problem you're talking about where the police ignored information. I'm in the US and I wouldn't try to suggest how that can be fixed. I just want you to know that I do see it and I don't think I'm alone in that.
In the US we have sort of acknowledged that racism exists and that we're all affected by it. I think that's part of the process of working towards some solution.
Please don't make the mistake though of creating this imaginary group of people who support MeToo but think discussion of gangs of immigrants raping children is racist. Yes, some of those people exist, but try to look at people as individuals and not assign beliefs to a mass group.
I think you're right that Morrissey's fall from grace has happened very quickly and you're fair in calling his statements "not very clever." At the same time it is possible that he has maybe been more damaged by the fallout than he would have been if the media didn't look for these sorts of statements and use them to define a person's entire existence. He doesn't serve himself well by making some of the comments and he ought to know by now that he's providing the media with the means to crucify him.
I think it's also true that sometimes a thing can be said in anger like the comment about the Chinese, and then take on a life of its own. I can't defend the comments though. He works with language. I don't think he chose "subspecies" carelessly. I think it's one of those examples that the article is talking about when they say he's being more open about his offensive views.
Summary is that we agree on some of the issues and I liked your post. I just think we all should be careful about making assumptions.

Imaginary groups!!:swear
Defense of oneself:swear

SUMMARYdoh:??????

Fake Chameleon Untruth, have you been hitting the Kmart energy drinks???:lbf:

He's got to play this well ......................

If he cancels he'll f*** off more fans and his insurance will rise again making future UK tours more problematic
If he takes the harsh financial hit and plays he'll be playing to a lot of people but nothing like the capacity of the venue (Leeds)

It's finance versus ego. Let's see which one wins.

His star is waning. He has to accept that.

If Mozmar's calculations are correct, Leeds is neither a success nor a total disaster. I rate the odds of him showing up higher than the odds of cancelling. These 2 gigs are the only promotional effort to support the release of the album IANADOAC.

As some pointed out earlier, they announced only 2 gigs to test the temperature. If the gigs hurt his banking account, then expect no additional gigs in the UK this year. And we may get a statement that these 2 gigs are likely to be his last gigs, like in summer 2015. I did not believe him in 2015 but would be more inclined to believe him now.

If Mozmar's calculations are correct, Leeds is neither a success nor a total disaster. I rate the odds of him showing up higher than the odds of cancelling. These 2 gigs are the only promotional effort to support the release of the album IANADOAC.

As some pointed out earlier, they announced only 2 gigs to test the temperature. If the gigs hurt his banking account, then expect no additional gigs in the UK this year. And we may get a statement that these 2 gigs are likely to be his last gigs, like in summer 2015. I did not believe him in 2015 but would be more inclined to believe him now.

Sensible comment.

Okay you guys, from someone who knows how this works, what happens at most of these arena shows that Moz plays in the UK, the stage is rarely ever placed at the end of the arena. It is usually placed 30%-50% further forward, towards the middle of the floor. Then curtains are hung across the back of the stage which continue quite far up into the tiers so as that you can't see empty blocks of seats behind the stage. This is normal practice for a lot of acts that can perhaps fill a large amount of an arena, but not all of it. If you went to many of the Moz shows in UK arenas in the last five years, you might have noticed this, although it's done in a way that creates an illusion so that the average concert goer doesn't notice this. Sometimes the top tier is completely curtained off too, as was done in venues like the Hydro before, and those tickets are never put on sale because of lack of demand. His London shows are much more likely to have all sections made available for general on sale as their will be a larger demand to see him there, numbers-wise. Leeds isn't a full, oval shaped arena, but more like an amphitheatre, so the stage there can't be moved further back, however tiers can be sectioned off. This is why the entire third tier is completely greyed out on the ticketing page, as it's not on sale and will be curtained off. By industry standards, this would indicate the show is selling 'pretty poorly' from a numbers standpoint, however many concert goers will not realise this when they are actually at the show.

Thanks for an intelligent and sensitive response.

I'll have to be brief for now.

My take on the "openly offensive" phrase was roughly as follows: Apart from it being a parroting of what has become a kind of Pavlovian vocabulary in certain quarters (i.e., words to use when you're on auto-pilot), I read the implication of 'openly' as being that 'offensive' is an objective state, that one can be offensive, for instance, when no one else is around, when, in fact, offense is something that is taken. There might be good reasons why something is considered offensive, but being offended is, nonetheless, a subjective condition. Certain things are treated as objectively offensive by many people these days because... well, who knows why, ultimately, but it seems like a way to socially strong-arm agreement with one's views. I felt there were other indications of this mind-set in the article, but didn't have time to give a long analysis.

The #MeToo stuff is a bit more complicated. I appreciate what you're saying, but don't have time to go into it at the moment. Perhaps later, if I get a chance.

Best,

MM.

Tags
morrissey racism ticketmaster tour
Back
Top Bottom