The Divine Comedy

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
I just started listening to The Divine Comedy with "Casanova". I quite like it. Can anyone give me a suggestion of which album to listen to next?

Also, any info you can provide on the band would be great. I did the Allmusic.com thing, but the information was very generic.

Thanks,

-Vaux

Fin De Sielce is perhaps their most famous album.

I think it's probably their best too. It has some great songs on it. Also it has their only big 'hit'..."National Express".
Their* new album 'Victory For The Comic Muse' has some very good songs aswell but it's abit weak in parts.

So yeh I suggest Fin De Sielce

*Basically Neil Hannon

Fin De Sielce is perhaps their most famous album.

I think it's probably their best too. It has some great songs on it. Also it has their only big 'hit'..."National Express".
Their* new album 'Victory For The Comic Muse' has some very good songs aswell but it's abit weak in parts.

So yeh I suggest Fin De Sielce

*Basically Neil Hannon

i like the associates cover on the new one!

You obviously have incredibly good taste! I love The Divine Comedy. I've seen them live about 7 times, and apart from Mozz it just doesn't get any better than seeing Neil croon his way through 17 or 18 songs before your eyes.

As for album requests - try Promenade. Its their 2nd proper album, and like Cassanova it can make you cry buckets and laugh out loud within literally seconds of each other.

listen to absent friends, and there new one. Victory For The Comic Muse. That there best album, Absent Friends is there least pop album. And is properly there second best.

I like The Divine Comedy, especially Becoming Like Alfie, but I have listened only to Casanova and Liberation, both nice albums.

I love Neil Hannon, he's a great lyricist, and I've been a fan since the first album, over 10 years ago, I think ' Promenade' is his best, 'Summer House' on it is pure bliss.

I just started listening to The Divine Comedy with "Casanova". I quite like it. Can anyone give me a suggestion of which album to listen to next?

Also, any info you can provide on the band would be great. I did the Allmusic.com thing, but the information was very generic.

Thanks,

-Vaux

have a look at http://www.thedivinecomedy.com/

albums? ...personally, i'd avoid "absent friends", 'cause (i think) it's awful. and the latest album is a bit patchy, too.

i'd recommend...

"liberation"

"fin de siecle"

"regeneration"

"a short album about love"

how could anybody not love a man who can write a love song which contains the lines...

"If you were a horse
I'd clean the crap out of your stable
And never once complain"​

Well thank you! I'd heard the band's name bandied about on the forums, so I thought I'd check them out. My favorite bands are: Morrissey, Pulp/Jarvis, and The Magnetic Fields. I'm went ahead and procured a copy of The Divine Comedy's "Best of" album. I know, sacrilege to get a Best Of album, but it has some great songs on it.

Any other bands anyone would recommend? I like literate, intelligent lyrics first and foremost...

Thanks all!

-Vaux

Lyrically good bands I would recommend include:-

My Life Story

The The

Anything that Luke Haines touches including the Auteurs, Baader Meinhof, his solo stuff and Black Box Recorder.

The Beautiful South/ The Housemartins have great lyrics too!

Used to really love the TDC but felt they severely lost the plot after Regeneration. The songs became unbearably twee. The wee fella started writing stuff about how much he loved his mum (Mother Dear), and his baby (Charmed life) which is lovely for him but does not great pop music make!

Anyway here (officially) are the 10 best TDC songs:

1 Don't look down
2 Comme beaucoup de Messieurs
3 Mutual friend
4 Festive Road
5 Do you remember the summerhouse?
6 Something for the weekend
7 Birds of paradise farm
8 If your name was Jack
9 Generation sex
10 I was born with a broken heart

M.

Thanks! Yes, I forgot to mention Black Box Recorder, The Auteurs, and Luke Haines. Baader meinhof is a great record. Of course, I also love Billy Bragg. I felt bad forgetting about him.

I keep hearing about The Beautiful South. Any album suggestions for trying them out?

Thanks!

-Vaux

So far my favorites are:

- Something for the Weekend
- Becoming More Like Alfie
- Middle Class Heroes
- Songs of Love
- The National Express
- The Summerhouse
- Your Daddy's Car
- Generation Sex

Mind you I've only heard two albums: Casanova and Best Of.

-Vaux

Back
Top Bottom